Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
dirt track racing >

dirt track racing

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

dirt track racing

Old 09-15-2010, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default dirt track racing

So any of you guys into dirt track racing?
Old 09-17-2010, 05:20 AM
Spike

Depends on what type of dirt track racing. - Sprints
Old 09-17-2010, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used to race dirt track cars and Moto X.There was a guy on here that had a couple of dirt cars ,good looking cars looked like super street. They were not the wedge cars like we had.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

A friend of mine used to build engines for a guy racing outlaws. He said it cost the 10,000 a piece and he said the guy used to go several. He said he made good money off him and gained a lot of experience building small blocks.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

1/4 mile and autocross in my Mustang... No dirt tracking though. Looks crazy!
Old 09-18-2010, 04:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JeffS View Post
A friend of mine used to build engines for a guy racing outlaws. He said it cost the 10,000 a piece and he said the guy used to go several. He said he made good money off him and gained a lot of experience building small blocks.
Back when we were racin'.We came up with the stoooopid Idea that we wanted to go to Eldora.We had a late model and could have probally made it a super late model ,like the then Hav-A-Tampa and The Bud Allstars.Got shut down when we found out all it took was 3 engines at 60,000 a piece.1 for qualifying,1 race engine ,and one for a back up.We were buying factory GM 350 LT1 short blocks from the dealership in Greensboro N.C. for $550.00 clearancing them and putting my cam and heads on them and finishing respectivly.We didn't have $60,000 in our whole shop,car,homes,pockets,buried in the yard.You get the picture......LOL
Old 09-18-2010, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

This is what it looked like 6 races later.

Had to cut the frame apart to get the motor out. Took the frame to the scrap yard, and then bought a used chasis. This is what it looked like the next year. Did ALL the work myself. Sold it before I even had it on the track.

I also ran a Purestock, and what we call a Midwest Mod, for about 4 years.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep,Big Daddy was the one I was talking about.BTW Bad luck on the car.Had a wedge that was yellow.Did not like it ,so we painted it red.First race it got fubar.( Had what I call crash and trash frame 2" tubing) got pushed in to second turn wall.The fence/wall at this track was made out of 10" wide steel welded together.Rough on a ride.we had 3 tracks we usually ran at. Danville Speedway-1/4 mile almost flat .Oak Levelspeedway -3/8 mile long straights, tight turns,Had to start slinging it about half way down the straight.Best was 311 Speedway in Madison N.C.-1/2 mile high bank.One of the fastest tracks I have ever been to.Had a sign entering that said "THE DAYTONA OF DIRT" and They wont jokin'......LOL
Old 09-19-2010, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Swampdog View Post
Yep,Big Daddy was the one I was talking about.BTW Bad luck on the car.Had a wedge that was yellow.Did not like it ,so we painted it red.First race it got fubar.( Had what I call crash and trash frame 2" tubing) got pushed in to second turn wall.The fence/wall at this track was made out of 10" wide steel welded together.Rough on a ride.we had 3 tracks we usually ran at. Danville Speedway-1/4 mile almost flat .Oak Levelspeedway -3/8 mile long straights, tight turns,Had to start slinging it about half way down the straight.Best was 311 Speedway in Madison N.C.-1/2 mile high bank.One of the fastest tracks I have ever been to.Had a sign entering that said "THE DAYTONA OF DIRT" and They wont jokin'......LOL

Good ol 311....it is fun to watch. You ever run or been to Wythe Raceway? Half mile high bank track that is pretty durn fast too.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by VAhuntr View Post
Good ol 311....it is fun to watch. You ever run or been to Wythe Raceway? Half mile high bank track that is pretty durn fast too.
Naw Va,Never made it to Wythe.Ran a couple of time at Natural Bridge.Man' I think those guy's slipped jet engines in their cars.......LOL.BTW They shut down 311.I heard that they also shut down Oak Level.Went to a track in Stem N.C. a few times years ago .It was called "Jet" speedway .They wont joking about that one either.Funny how you can go to some semi local tracks and they seem pretty fast ,Then go somewhere new and find out what fast really is.May have been different if we would have went enough to figure out set up,shocks,etc.Gearing was never a problem 'cause we ran a quick change .I could change gears in about 10 or 15 min.(Which is actually pretty slow I've seen the big budget teams change in about 5 min.How far are you from Danville?Back in the day it was pretty tough racin'.Used to keep a 1/2" breaker bar taped to the bottom roll cage bar next to my seat .Got tangled up with a guy one time when he flipped out and jumped on the hood of my car and started kicking in between the bars where the windshield goes, about 2 or 3 licks with the bar got him off my car and rubbing his shin bone.Bet he was wondering what in the world was eating his leg up so bad.Even had to spray one down with the fire ext. one time.