Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 CWD in wild deer in NY >

CWD in wild deer in NY

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

CWD in wild deer in NY

Old 05-08-2005, 04:41 PM

Default CWD in wild deer in NY

Read a story in today's news that said CWD has been found in a wild deer in NY.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:11 PM

Default RE: CWD in wild deer in NY

Have a link?
Old 05-08-2005, 06:35 PM

Have a link?
In todays Allentown paper http://www.mcall.com/
but story not on-line yet.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:50 PM

The fact that they found two deer in the wild in that area at first sounds bad, and the Monday morning quarterbacks are of course, quick to blame John, the farmer with the original herd. But, the first wild positive was an 11 month old doe, the second an adult doe, both healthy. Also, while Im not allowed to tell you what town they were found in, within a mile of each other, they were 10 miles from Johns location.

We have been told that young does seldom range far from where theyre born. Also, John is on record as having said hes received rehab deer from the area these positives were found. Makes it tough to read the negative articles about how he infected the wild deer. Just thought you guys might wanna know the truth that way.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:15 AM

Bill, Thanks for the information. I saw the article in this Sunday's Buffalo News were they quoted you. I been following this since day one. Its nice to see all the information is getting out to the public finally. I know when this first started you weren't allowed to comment much on the situation so any information you provide is appreciated.

My one concern is the ability of CWD to infect humans. Working in the medical profession to little is known about this disease to say with certianty that it won't cross species. Just because it has been documented yet doesn't mean it can not happen. Certainlly history so far has shown us that it is not infective and lets all hope that it remains that way.

Robert
Old 05-09-2005, 12:51 PM

Robert, Id love to speak to someone with your background on that subject. Id prefer off the boards, though. Im at 585-637-2450, if youd like to. Also, Id like to say here that the DEC and Ag and Markets has so far done a decent job of doing what needs to be done, without going nuts and doing what Wisconsin did. Thats a big plus right there.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bill,

Just as an FYI: You may want to look into some of the journal papers published by Miller and Ozaga. They and their students have some pretty sound data concerning dispersal rates and dispersal zones. All deer, just not bucks, disperse from the core area. To what extent really depends on 2 main criteria...food availability and population density.

If the deer population in that part of the state is near "normal", I would guestimate that the deer would disperse in regular bands, probably up to maximum 20 miles after 3 generations. Of course those bands then overlap and shift as the populations escalate...
Old 05-09-2005, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

There are too many variables to consider dispersal without doing dna testing against parentage or other relations.

If the mother was shot during the past season, new research in the past couple years suggests that the offspring are less likely to disperse, and remain in the area they were born.

It may have been Ozaga or possibly Alscheimer that did that research.

The end of line is dna testing, it is the only way they will find out. And I am sure they will do that if deemed necessary.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:00 PM

Well guys, Im a big John Ozoga fan, but Im going to sound stubborn. I just dont believe that yearling does in that area need to disperse ten miles. Maybe bucks. I know, Im no biologist, but its my opinion. Regardless of that, I made my statement in my last post based on what NY tells us about dispersal, not my personal opinion. The main point Im making is, this whole situation has become a finger-pointing process from my perspective, and I dont think the evidence is so clear. Sorry if some of what I drag into our conversations here didnt originate here!
Old 05-10-2005, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bill,

You're absolutely right. The dispersal rates, or bands, coincide with both age and density. If the population rates are high, the dispersal distance is great. If the population densities are low, dispersal rates are usually less, but do vary greatly based on food.

Big question here is: where did the wild deer first encounter the prions? Was it shared food/feeding area, or is this a bigger problem? Limited number of infected wild deer suggest, to me, that it was an isolated incident and there must have been some sort of shared contact. Obviously doe/fawn interaction is obvious...

Quick Reply: CWD in wild deer in NY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.