HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   PGC officers were in MD tonite (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/98716-pgc-officers-were-md-tonite.html)

T_in_PA3 04-28-2005 04:14 PM

RE: PGC officers were in MD tonite

Untangle your undies Mossy, it wasn't directed to you.

Yes, I realize that my license money goes for more than just deer matters. Some of us are educated in what the PGC is directed in doing.

lost horn 04-29-2005 07:01 AM

ORIGINAL: T_in_PA3

Untangle your undies Mossy, it wasn't directed to you.

Yes, I realize that my license money goes for more than just deer matters. Some of us are educated in what the PGC is directed in doing.
Maybe I have been wrong all of these years but I thaught the PGC's job was to manage the land for game animals and if they manage it right all other animals get a piece of the pie. As for the bats, no their big boss the hunters IMO did not intend to see their money spent looking for bats in Pa. or Md. thats the DCNR job, they can get all the free money they need to do that job.

PABowhntr 04-29-2005 09:57 AM

T_in_PA3,

Yeah, that is something that they "rediscovered" the Ivory Billed Woodpecker. It makes one wonder how many more animals may be saved because of the conservation efforts of sportsman/other agencies. Supposedly there was a piece on CBS about it last night.

DougMD 04-29-2005 11:57 AM

I'd be ticked if hunters' dollars were spent tracking bats. Use of those funds should be restricted to game conservation.

T_in_PA3 04-29-2005 12:04 PM

The Commission is responsible for managing all of Pennsylvania's wild birds and mammals. Wildlife management is conservation in its most recognizable form. It's the process used to manage game and other wildlife populations, and includes: monitoring wildlife populations; establishing laws and regulations; setting seasons and bag limits; making habitat improvements; providing outright protection; informing and educating the public; and assessing public expectations and satisfaction. Each offers varying benefits to wildlife and Pennsylvanians.

I can't find the legislatative directive at this time.

Rickmur 04-29-2005 05:22 PM

Hey Frank, you don't moderate anymore? If you do you lost your icon.

White-tail-deer 05-02-2005 05:32 PM

Are you sure they weren't tracking mountain lions???

rile1564 05-02-2005 07:04 PM

I have to agree with T_in_PA3. I'm glad my money is going towards managing and care of all of PA's wildlife. I believe that if they only looked after "game" animals and neglected the other wildlife of PA, there would be a large impact on the "game" animals. After all the forests, as well as cities, have a balance of wildlife and one species effects the others. Plus I would like the PETA "animal lovers", and the like, to know that the hunters of PA care for all the wildlife and not just their "game". First and foremost hunters should be conservationists. If not then PETA, and the like, are right. We are just out to murder deer, or what ever game, and don't care about animals and the environment that we share with them. Some will argue that, that's what the DCNR is for. It's not their job. Since we all share the woods, and animals within, we are mostly responsible for the up keep. Here's something to think about. If hunting was banned in PA and there were no more money comming in from hunters, who would pay to track and maintain PA's wildlife. Not to mention that most of the land, game lands, would be bought by private landowners and who knows what would happen to PA's wildlife then.

rile1564 05-02-2005 07:29 PM

Just to clear up what the PA DCNR is supposed to do, I looked it up on the PA DCNR website.

"What does DCNR do?

DCNR is charged with maintaining and preserving the 116 state parks; managing the 2.1 million acres of state forest land; providing information on the state's ecological and geologic resources; and establishing community conservation partnerships with grants and technical assistance to benefit rivers, trails, greenways, local parks and recreation, regional heritage parks, open space and natural areas."

No where does it say that it tracks, maintains, monitors or has any bureaus that have anything to do with animals in PA. Although I did see a warning about foriegn bugs that are increasing in PA and destroying plants and trees. As for this quote.

"As for the bats, no their big boss the hunters IMO did not intend to see their money spent looking for bats in Pa. or Md. thats the DCNR job, they can get all the free money they need to do that job."

The PA DCNR's budget has been reduced by 4 million dollars for the 2005 year.

As for the PGC being out of state. I'm glad. That's the purpose of tracking animals. Animals don't recognize state boundaries and to properly track them and know what they are doing (point of tracking) you have to follow them were ever they go.

T_in_PA3 05-03-2005 06:23 AM

In informed reply. Good job rile.