Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

ONLINE HUNTING

Old 04-25-2005, 02:42 PM

Default ONLINE HUNTING

HAS ANYONE HEARD ABOUT THIS ONLINE HUNTING THATS REAL IN TEXAS... ITS CALLED LIVE-SHOT.COM..... WHATS YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS
Old 04-25-2005, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ONLINE HUNTING

I think its terrible. It should never be allowed, it gives a bad name to hunters- it makes us look to lazy to walk outside to hunt game, its horrible and i hope it never becomes a reality. It's way to unsafe, to many things could and will go wrong if this is allowed.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:10 PM
Typical Buck

I wouldnt do it,
but who am i to tell others how they should hunt?
like to see the stats on wounded animals,
and what do they do with the meat?
if wounded animals are low and they utilize the meat and carcass, wouldnt bother me,
if its just for a trophy i would oppose it.
if we can shop online for food, why cant someone hunt online?
Old 04-25-2005, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was raised to believe that hunting was not only about fun. Hunting is a very serious thing were lives are being taken. I think it sad to see what it has turned into with all the modern day gadgetry we have today, but when you take the hunter out of the field it no longer becomes hunting- just killing. We has hunters are taking the most important thing away from these animals- their life. We owe them time spent in the freezing cold, loosing sleep to get out there before dawn, we owe them briar stratches, we owe them hours spent hanging tree stands, we owe them countless hours spent spotting. Killing deer is an enjoyable experience, but it shouldn't come without a cost- not a monetary one. A cost of blood, sweat, and tears. I don't want to see hunting deer into a real life video game. There are many ways for disabled hunters to suceed at this sport, there are countless organizations devoted to doing so. Let's be honest, this man isn't in this to help the disabled accomplish a dream- he is just trying to make money and its disgusting
Old 04-25-2005, 06:35 PM
Typical Buck

Pa Trophy Man, your father or grandfather or both taught you very well, thank you for your post.

By KRIS AXTMAN
Christian Science Monitor
Tuesday, April 05, 2005
http://www.casperstartribune.net/art...d9006d64fa.txt

HOUSTON -- Sliding his computer mouse around until he locates a moving target, the hunter sets the animal in his sites and pulls the rifle's trigger with a click of his finger. Down goes a wild boar. Another trophy bagged.

Yet in this case it's not a video game. It's a new kind of hunting experience in which people anywhere in the world can sit at home and target real game by controlling a gun in a remote location.

To supporters, it's a way to allow the disabled, among others, to enjoy the thrill of hunting. But critics see it as a form of video slaughter.

Indeed, the concept of live-action hunting -- done over the Internet -- is raising the hackles of everyone from animal-rights activists to hunting groups to gun advocates. As a result, lawmakers in 14 states are now trying to ban the practice, including Texas, where the only such online hunting facility exists.

The first paid hunt is scheduled to occur on April 9 on a ranch outside San Antonio, and many are racing to stop the practice before it gets started. The dispute is raising new ethical questions over what is an appropriate form of hunting, and represents another example of the unlimited possibilities of the Internet and the sometimes public pressure to limit it.

Even the developer of the new online hunting Web site, Live-Shot.com, says the system is not for everyone. John Lockwood envisions it being used by those who love hunting but are unable to get out into the woods, such as the wheelchair-bound. "The idea of hunting this way doesn't appeal to me," says Lockwood. "Most of us love getting into the field. But there are many that cannot."

Under the system, a person can control a camera and a firearm, shooting at real targets in real time, from a computer anywhere. For an additional fee, the meat or head can be shipped to the hunter.

Lockwood says the idea evolved out of knowing and working with disabled hunters as a young man. The first person to sign up to hunt through his Web site is Dale Hagberg, a paraplegic from Ligonier, Ind. Hagberg says he broke his neck in an accident almost 18 years ago and has only been able to watch hunting on TV.

"I was an avid hunter before I became hurt, and I've missed it ever since," he says through his nurse. Hagberg is excited -- and nervous -- about his impending April 9 hunt. "I'm sure when I see the animal walk in my view, my heart will start beating as fast as it used to," he says.

In addition to disabled hunters, Lockwood says he has heard from a soldier in Spain who wants to send the meat to his family and a soldier in Iraq who doesn't know when he will hunt again. In all, Lockwood has about 25 people who are seriously interested in online hunting so far.

In a rare alliance, the Humane Society of the United States and Safari Club International, the world's leading trophy-hunting organization, are both supporting legislation banning the practice. "This is not hunting," says Safari Club president John Monson.

"It's pay-per-view slaughter," adds Michael Markarian of the Humane Society.

Concerned that state legislation won't be restrictive enough, his group wants a federal ban on online hunting. "Nobody ever said the wilderness had to be ADA [Americans with Disabilities Act] compliant," says Markarian. "That is no justification for this practice, and it doesn't give [disabled] people a true hunting experience anyway."

Even groups that help the disabled hunt are upset. The powerful National Rifle Association (NRA), for instance, has a program designed for disabled hunters, but the idea is to get them into the wilderness or participate in shooting events. "We believe that hunting should be outdoors and that sitting in front of a computer three states away doesn't qualify as hunting," says spokeswoman Kelly Hobbs.

Yet the the NRA is also closely watching the anti-online-hunting bills, from Hawaii to Wisconsin to Maine, to make sure they don't affect disabled hunters' special needs in the field -- the use of an electronic wheelchair, for instance.

Earlier this month, Virginia became the first state to ban Internet hunting. In Texas, the state Parks & Wildlife Department has proposed a regulatory change that would ban it for animals native to Texas. So far, virtually all the public comments have been in favor of banning the activity. The proposal could take effect in May.

The state, however, doesn't have control over non-native species and that's what Lockwood's customers will be shooting at: Barbary sheep, blackbuck antelope, and wild boar, for instance. "In the grand scheme of things, with all the problems facing wildlife, this isn't really a big one," says Tom Harvey of Texas Parks & Wildlife. "It's more of an ethical issue than a biological or ecological issue."

The biggest opponents may be hunters themselves. "It's not hunting. It's killing," says Jeremy Johnston, a police officer at the University of Houston. "Someone gets on a computer and pushes a button and something dies for no reason. That's not why I was taught to hunt."

For Johnston, hunting is about relaxing outdoors, bonding with friends, and providing for his family. He says there are so many groups that now help the disabled hunt, there's no reason for such a novelty.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Some of huntings worst enemies come from within our ranks and this is one of the worst IMHO[:'(]
Old 04-26-2005, 07:37 AM

I have no problem with it although it shouldn't be called hunting. I equal it to walking into a grocery store and pointing out which fish you what taken from the live tank. That's not fishing but no one is complaining about that. At Live-shot your choosing your steaks and chops on the hoof.

As I read their site, You pay for the animal and a guy is sitting in a blind with the computer and its up to him to release the safety before you shoot to ensure a clean kill. The animal is butchered and you decide to either have the meat sent to you or donated to a food bank.