Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA deer numbers

Old 04-24-2005, 06:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default PA deer numbers

Gentlemen, and ladies, I have been reading alot about the DCNR and other environmental groups lambasting the PGC because there are too many deer. They claim the deer are destroying the forest. What a bunch of BS. IMO its the forest itself that is the reason for the non-regeneration. I do have a forestry background so I'm not talking out of my butt. I am sure there are areas of heavy deer concetrations, but these are in the agricultural areas not in the heavily forested areas, especially the northern tier. The timber is just too mature. A lot of large trees with heavy canopys not allowing sufficient light to allow for regeneration. This plus poor soil in some areas.
Why doesn't the State Forestry cut some timber in controlled selected clear cuts? Leave some seed trees.
No, they would rather blame the PGC for their deer management practices. I have been hunting for about 40 yrs now and have never, repeat, never seen deer numbers as low as they have been in the past couple of years. If it were up to me I would have the PGC stop issuing bonus licenses period, until number get back up.
The DCNR is even talking about having the PGC being removed from its independent status, leaving game management up to the politicians - people not trained in it. If that happens, you guys might as well sell your deer rifles.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PA deer numbers

The DCNR has an agenda and deer hunting isn't figured in the future.
Is it recertification for the money or simply a movement by extreme environmentalists to push there agenda for old growth,wild areas,and reintroduction of predators?We don't understand the real story but in time we'll get the picture.
It doesn't take alot of brains to know eliminating the deer in a given area without opening up the canopy won't produce squat for new growth.
They're complaining about the maples taking over the forest.OK maples aren't money trees but the truth is they grow faster then oaks therefore shading out the forest floor giving the oaks the sunlight they need to grow.
What controls the maples?Well deer browse them.But wait,they want to eliminate the deer?
Old 04-24-2005, 07:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

glad to see someone agrees with me. That is why I said in my post to do selective clear cutting. Leaving trees such as white oaks standing as seed trees. In Clinton Co. where our family has a cabin, the majority of the trees are chestnut oak. These trees are huge, some close to 3 ft in dia. A lot of them are dying of old age. This year I hardly saw any mast (no acorns) and no deer either.
Granted it would be hard to timber this area because of the steep hillsides but something should be done. And the tops of the mountains are being choked with laurel.
Possibly a controlled burn would be in order here.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:54 AM

Bronko I agree with you as well. if i could i would stop all bonus tags for atleast 5 years..
Old 04-24-2005, 11:05 AM
Typical Buck

they do very very little timbering here and no way they would do any controlled burns.. its easier for them to have the hunters kill the deer.. and keep the big old timber
Old 04-25-2005, 04:58 AM

Why doesn't the State Forestry cut some timber in controlled selected clear cuts? Leave some seed trees.
Why? Because deer hunters are out numbered by tree huggers, hikers, and campers, who want to experience the majestic old growth forest. They (DNCR) are simply catering to their customers.
Plus I think it also has to do with the price/marketing of certain kinds of lumber.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

This is why! [:@]

What is FSC-US?

Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) is a non-profit organization devoted to encouraging the responsible management of the world’s forests. FSC sets high standards that ensure forestry is practiced in an environmentally responsible, socially beneficial, and economically viable way.

Landowners and companies that sell timber or forest products seek certification as a way to verify to consumers that they have practiced forestry consistent with FSC standards. Independent, certification organizations are accredited by FSC to carry out assessments of forest management to determine if standards have been met. These certifiers also verify that companies claiming to sell FSC certified products have tracked their supply back to FSC certified sources. This chain of custody certification assures that consumers can trust the FSC label.

Wow, what lofty goals and commitment. These people care about us all and everything the forests.

Trusted environmental organizations including Greenpeace, National Wildlife Federation, The Nature Conservancy, Sierra Club, and World Wildlife Fund all support and encourage FSC certification. Consumers wishing to support healthy forests and communities should look and ask for the FSC label when purchasing wood or paper products.

Hasn't Green Peace been prosocuted for sinking ships, supporting other eco-terrorisum? And I think the World Wildlife Fund isn't a freind to us hunters either... Most of the respected organizations don't think gun ownership and god forbid hunting should be allowed.

FSC-US, based in Washington, DC, is the U.S. “chapter” of FSC International, based in Bonn Germany. For more information about FSC at the International level, please visit www.fsc.org.

Forest Certification Council - Board of Directors

Economic Chamber

Paul Harlan - Chairperson, Vice President of Resources - The Collins Companies
Mark Comolli - President Forest World
Mark Slezak - Western Raw Materials Manager, Columbia Forest Products
Bill Hayward - Appointed Member, President and CEO - Hayward Lumber

Environmental Chamber

Barbara Bramble - Treasurer, Director of Partnerships for Wildlife Programs
National Wildlife Federation - Kent Gilges, Director of Forest Conservation, Canada and Midwest Regions - The Nature Conservancy
Michael Leahy - Natural Resources Counsel, Defenders of Wildlife
Rafe Pomerance - Appointed Member, Chairman - The Climate Policy Center

Social Chamber

Philip Guillery - Vice President, Dovetail Partners
Joshua Dicksinson - Executive Director, Forest Management Trust
Karen Steer - Sustainable Forestry Program Officer, Sustainable Northwest
Jack Vanderryn - Appointed Member, Senior Fellow, Environment and Development - The Moriah Fund