Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 buck still has antlers >

buck still has antlers

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

buck still has antlers

Old 03-18-2005, 11:00 AM

Default buck still has antlers

A woman that I work with is feeding deer behind her apartment building here in Maine. She has been takking many pictures of the deer all winter. One of the deer is a decent sized deer with a nine point rack. Good spread and pretty tall. Every day I ask if "William," (she named him, not me) still has his "horns." Today, she said, "Yep, Still got 'em."

Anyone else seeing bucks with antlers still??????
Old 03-18-2005, 12:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: buck still has antlers

This picture is a few months old but the same buck still comes in everyday to my friends house. He still has both sides attached.

Old 03-18-2005, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

Just when I thought that all of the bucks here in western NY had dropped...2 friends of the family saw 5 different bucks around town last week that were still packing. All but one were nice 8-pts. or better too. I think most have dropped though...I found my first shed of the year today. Its this year's shed but appears as if its been laying out there for a couple of months.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:52 PM

Guys I know around here are still seeing some antlers on heads, around Rochester. My penned deer have finally all dropped as of this week. The ages range from 2 yr old to 4 yr olds right now. The first drops I saw were in December, so it makes for a l-o-n-g shed season, to be sure!
Old 03-20-2005, 07:41 AM

we had such an easy winter this year it is spring and i saw and 8 pnter with both still in vermont and mass we had a realy late rut
Old 03-21-2005, 10:31 AM

I guess it isn't as rare as I thought, but I don't think this one had anything to do with an easy winter. This winter has been rough no matter how you look at it. Before we received a lot of our snow we had sub-zero temperature for days on end. Many days in late Dec. and throughout January were 30 below at night and had highs of zero or colder during the day.
It then warmed up some, but then we got storm after storm of heavy snowfalls. I still have almost 2 feet of snow anywhere on my property. I'm afraid we're going to have a hard winter-kill this year.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:14 AM
Fork Horn

I seen 2 8 pointers this week at my feeder (March 21). I was very surprised to see both sides of their antlers still in tact. I would have thought they should have shed by now.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:03 AM

Maybe the deer are holding their antlers late this year all over the country??