Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Deer  density and carrying capacity program >

Deer density and carrying capacity program

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Deer density and carrying capacity program

Old 03-17-2005, 04:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Deer density and carrying capacity program

Gonna look at my calendar and try to go. Looks like it might be worthwhile....

Wednesday, April 6, 2005 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM

AND

Saturday, April 9, 2005 8:30 AM – NOON

Treasure Lake, POA Building, DuBois, PA

Sponsored By: Penn State Cooperative Extension

In Cooperation With: Penn State DuBois, The Quality Deer Management Association, and The Treasure Lake Wildlife Committee

Description

Penn State Cooperative Extension along with its cooperators are proud to provide you with two sessions to learn and talk about white-tailed deer biology

and management as it relates to the carrying capacity of their habitat. The first session will be spent indoors learning about deer habitat, reproduction, and food preferences.

The second day will be spent in the field collecting deer population and habitat

data in order to determine an estimate of deer numbers and the carrying capacity of the habitat at Treasure Lake. An assessment will then be made to compare the quality of the habitat to the estimated density of the deer population over the given home range.

Who Is It For?

This workshop is designed for anyone who is interested in learning more about white-tailed deer biology; how to calculate the deer density in a given forest setting; how to evaluate the condition of deer habitat; and how the condition of the habitat relates to deer biology, deer numbers, and deer carrying capacity. This is an opportunity to talk to wildlife biologists and foresters who have experience in implementing various forest and wildlife habitat management strategies.

What Will We Be Doing?

We will be spending the day discussing and experiencing topics such as:

• Deer Biology

• Food Preferences

• Deer Habitat

• Estimating Deer Density

• Estimating Carrying Capacity

• Habitat Assessment

Program Objectives

• Gain an understanding of whitetailed deer requirements for

habitat

• Learn how and what foods deer prefer to eat

• Be able to complete a deer pellet group count/browse survey and estimate deer density

• Gain a better understanding of the relationship between deer density and carrying capacity of the habitat

NOTE: If attending the Saturday morning session be sure and come prepared to walk in the woods rain or shine.

Program Agendas

Wednesday, April 6, 2005, 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM

Deer Habitat and Reproduction

Kip Adams, Wildlife Biologist and Regional Director, Quality Deer Management Association

Deer Food Preferences

Dave Jackson, Forest Resources Extension Educator, Penn State Cooperative Extension-Centre County

Deer Antlers and Health

Video: Let Him Go So He Can Grow, Quality Deer Management Association

Saturday, April 9, 2005, 8:30 AM – NOON

Deer Density Pellet Group Method

Dave Jackson, Forest Resources Extension Educator, Penn State

Cooperative Extension-Centre County

Field Activity: Pellet Group Counts and Habitat Impact Survey

Keely Roen, Instructor of Wildlife Technology, Penn State DuBois

Carrying Capacity Evaluation

Dave Jackson, Forest Resources Extension Educator, Penn State

Cooperative Extension-Centre County

Location / Directions Both programs will be held at the Treasure Lake property Owners Association (POA) Building.

Treasure Lake is located north of the city of DuBios, PA, on the west side

of Route 255. >From Interstate 80 travel north on Route 255 for approximately 1 mile. The entrance for Treasure Lake will be on your left. From the security gate travel approximately ¼ mile. Turn right at the S&T Bank. The Property Owners Association (POA) Building is the brown building opposite the mini mall.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer density and carrying capacity program

BT,I'm on the wildlife management committee that set this program up.One other individual and myself actually formed this committee.This area is a ten square mile private residential development in rural clearfiled county.There has been no hunting allowed on this property in over 40 years despite the fact that there is over 3500 acres of undeveloped land.

The deer herd is huge in this immediate area so we formed a committee to try some sort of deer management program.Last year PSU brought about 60 students in to do some deer drives to actually count the deer.This year we're going to do pellet count surveys and browse impact studies to compare with the results from last year.We need to determine some type of population estimate so we can show the property owners how the deer are impacting the habitat.These deer need to be hunted but there's alot of resitance.

I hope you can make it up.I never met Kip Adams but I'm looking forward to asking him some detailed questions.Dave jackson is a friend of mine.We've been working together on this project for over a year.He has alot of good information.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Would like to try Doug, the wednesday night is the big question mark. I don't know if it would be any help but I've been part of the Fox Chapel bowhunting program for 11 years now and would be glad to share what we've learned about discreetly controlling deer in developed areas with a minimum of problems through a well managed bowhunting program.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Boy,I'd love to meet you in person.I have alot of info about Fox Chappel in my desk.One of the guys on this committee already talked with someone from down there.Try and make it if you can work it in with your schedule.I'd like to meet you.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:41 PM

I wish the drive from Maine wasn't so long. It sounds like an interesting and informative seminar.

It sounds like you do some interesting work Doug. For the sake of our sport, thank you
Old 03-17-2005, 02:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Got it on my calendar. Will do my best. Will also talk to a friend who is in the program too and see if he'd like to share the drive.