Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 A little revenge on the coyotes *pics* >

A little revenge on the coyotes *pics*

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

A little revenge on the coyotes *pics*

Old 02-24-2005, 05:46 PM
Spike

Default A little revenge on the coyotes *pics*

My father called me while I was on my way to work to say he got his annual coyote. He saw it go running through the field accross the street from the living room window and he snuck out to a nearby tree and got a 250yd shot at it.

So I went over and met him after we both got home from work tonight and we took a walk to try to retrace the steps to see where the coyote came from. It was pretty clear that at some point it was not the only coyote in the field, and as we got about 200yds from where the coyote was shot we found this:

Definately looked fresh, probably just the night before. Above this on the hill you could see where they had started ripping the deer apart and then drug it down about 30-40yds. Deer hair and parts were thrown all about. I found the lower jaw about 25 ft from the rest of the body down the hill. Pretty decent sized deer, makes me wonder what the people that say coyotes won't take full grown would think of this.

Tim
Old 02-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: A little revenge on the coyotes *pics*

What state was it taken in?
Old 02-24-2005, 06:22 PM
Spike

Upstate, NY. About 30 mins south of Albany.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice yote
Old 02-25-2005, 04:18 AM
Typical Buck

Conrats on the yote! Great pics! Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-25-2005, 04:36 AM

Give that kill site another couple of days and you wont even find bones.

I have seen coyotes do this to deer a few times.

Nice looking coyote. Good job.

What model and caliber rifle was used - can't tell from the pic but, lokks like a nice rig.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

finally a break through we found a deer hit by a car dead were gonna pick it up drag it in the woods and use a fawn in distress idont know much about predator hunting or if it will even work but thats mainly waht there eating soo well see
Old 02-25-2005, 01:32 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: White_Farm

Pretty decent sized deer, makes me wonder what the people that say coyotes won't take full grown would think of this.

Tim
Probably the same thing as most common sense people....

How do you know they took it down?

I mean I am all for solid proof here, but I would like to know how you can 100% say this was a live kill.

Nice job though, 250yd shot is respectable from any hunter!
Old 02-25-2005, 03:07 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: jhoffman
What model and caliber rifle was used - can't tell from the pic but, lokks like a nice rig.
The gun is a Ruger M77 All weather in 25-06, scope is a Nikon Monarch 3-9x

Probably the same thing as most common sense people....

How do you know they took it down?

I mean I am all for solid proof here, but I would like to know how you can 100% say this was a live kill.

Nice job though, 250yd shot is respectable from any hunter!
Well, I'm about as close to 100% as you can be without actually being there when it happened. We tracked it back up the hill and you could see where the deer was drug for quite a ways; grass matted down, blood and hair in the snow. However as you get further up the hill there is no blood and no dragging marks, but there are a few bear spots in the snow where it looks like a deer or several deer may have been bedding and there were deer and coyote tracks all over the place. As we were back-tracking the blood/hair trail I thought it might have been road kill that they drug down the hill, but the marks where you could tell it was being drug stopped quite a ways from the road and at that point there were just regular tracks in the snow.

Best guess is that it was bedding down in that spot and several coyotes jumped it and took it down. But yes, there's always a possibility it was hit by a car, ran down from the road and died in that spot and then the coyotes got to it. No way to tell for sure though.

Tim
Old 02-25-2005, 03:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice yote

Quick Reply: A little revenge on the coyotes *pics*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.