Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Tipping your guide ? >

Tipping your guide ?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Tipping your guide ?

Old 02-13-2005, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tipping your guide ?

Just wondering how much you tip your guide assuming you have a awsome hunt of a life time>>>
Old 02-13-2005, 12:37 PM

Default RE: Tipping your guide ?

What kind of hunt?? Where and how much did the outfitter charge? 1 X 1 or 2 X 1? I went on a hunt in BC several years ago. Guide was a kid, outfitter sent us out for 7 days with six horses and no cook. The guide had to cook, wrangle, and guide. He busted his ass, even with me doing some of the cooking. I killed a goat and a bull moose and struck out on the grizz. I gave the kid $300.00. The hunt was $7500.00. He was ecstatic.
Jim B.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:56 PM
Dominant Buck

I tip the guide like I would tip a waitress in a restaurant 10-20%. Most of them don't make much from the outfitter and rely on the sportsman's tips.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:23 PM

Personally, I always wondered why we tip waitresses based on how much to food costs! She works the table the same way if you eat grilled cheese or lobster. I know thats not the way this thread was heading, but just thought Id say...lol.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

I know not all will agree but then again I'm not running for office,,
Guides know what they signed up for so I never let that "adjust" what I think is a fair tip. You and I do what ever it is we do and before we took the job or opened the business we had a pretty good idea of what was ahead.
So with that said I tip on how well the guide did the Job. A couple of the key items:
1) I take into consideration that he/she should show as much effort as I am willing to put forth not less
2) They show me the ability to relocate me if the situation warrents. Spending 11/2 to 2 days in the same location without seeing game
3) Take my desires of not having someone smoke in my face such as driving in the same truck and they are puffing away..like I have not spent any time trying to keep my gear scent free.
4) I'm not looking for miracles just a regular Joe who tries..this equalls a good trip

I think all trips start at $100 and go up from there.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Outdoor, so you think that waitresses take the job for the base salary that they get paid? Interesting. They know that they will get tipped and the amount is a direct reflection of how they preform. They are counting on the tips. If a guide is an owner of a small operation, he is getting paid a good dollar. That guide that is working for a bigger outfit gets paid a small salary plus room and board and relys on good tippers. The guides that put more clients into the game make more money. Yes, they know what they get into before they start and there is risk. When someone goes all out for me at a resteraunt I don't pay the fair % of the main bill but will give them more depending on how they perform for me. I can bet that if you go out again and the guide knows that you are a good tipper, then he will make sure that you are happy again on your next visit.

By the way Outdoor, i do agree with the second half of your post, they should be willing to work as hard if not harder than you are.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

I tip the guide like I would tip a waitress
Also depends on how much leg or clevage they are showing
Old 02-14-2005, 06:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Cardeer sounds like you frequent "Hooters".