Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY 2004 Bear Take? and Populations/ >

NY 2004 Bear Take? and Populations/

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY 2004 Bear Take? and Populations/

Old 01-27-2005, 09:26 AM

Default NY 2004 Bear Take? and Populations/

Hello,

Has anyone heard how the 2004 bear take was. From all reports the bear population in NY is growing and it should of been a good season but I have heard very little from anyone on this topic. I saw a lot of bear tracks and had a few trees scratched up on my on my property in Western NY but I didn't see any bears myself. My property is not far from Allegany State Park though so that not out of the ordinary there. What was out of the ordinary is that the DEC expanded the hunting range just a few days before the season began to include all of Cattaraugus County, not just the
typical southern DMU areas around the park. I believe they expanded areas in the rest of the southern zone also. So tell us your bear stories for this last year they would be great to hear. Thanks.

I am especially interested to see how it was in Cattaraugus County, particularly the DMU areas 9R and 9T which are the areas around Allegany state park since I don't believe you can hunt bear in the park itself. I would think those numbers should of been higher than last year.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:20 PM

Default RE: NY 2004 Bear Take? and Populations/

Rwalter63, the dec hasnt came out with the numbers yet. I took a 186 lbs bear in Sullivan county this year.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:54 PM

Thanks and congrats on the Bear. I didn't think they had, but I thought some one might of heard something unofficial or had spoken to a DEC officer. I'm looking forward to find out.

So how did you get your Bear? I'd love to hear about it.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:36 PM

Bear population is exploding in Essex County! In the area I hunt, in the past 3 seasons 7 bears have been taken with the largest weighing over 300 lbs. Here's a picture of a 125lb. bear my brother shot during archery season this past year. He said another bear came in about a half hour later that was twice the size as the one he shot.

Old 01-28-2005, 12:57 PM

THis year i took one on a deer drive with the rifle and two the last two previous bow seasons. One 136 lds at 20 yards, one 168 lbs at 12 yards and this year 186 lbs at 25 yards on ground with riffle. Beautiful mounts one has a nice size white star with a nice white circle above that.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:00 PM

I see what your saying 45-70,I also hunt up in the Essex area.I`ve seen lots of bear and bear sign,along with friends that live there seeing them all the time.I haven`t really bear hunted yet,due to the fact that I`m always trying to fill my deer tag,but I definately will be buying bear tags in the near future.What part of Essex county do you hunt around?
Old 01-28-2005, 08:43 PM

I hunt mostly the Southern part of Essex County. The Ticonderoga and Schroon Lake areas. When we brought one of the bears to the Taxidermist(North Country Taxidermy in Keene, NY) the guy told us he was getting a lot of bears from the Schroon Lake area. What it's worth he also said that usually a majority of the bears brought in come from the Saranac region, but a lot more were coming in from the Schroon area. This fits with the number of bears we have been seeing the past couple of seasons. Over the years, I've passed up shooting 3 really nice bears because I didn't want to shoot them just for the sake of it. Now that I've decided I want one, I will probably not see another bear in the woods again.

If you're ever in the area of Keene(it's just a little south of Lake Placid) you need to stop in at the North Country Taxidermy shop. They've got mounts of all different kinds of animals from all over the U.S. and from around the world. Check out their site at http://www.northcountrytaxidermy.com
Old 01-28-2005, 09:23 PM

If you're ever in the area of Keene(it's just a little south of Lake Placid) you need to stop in at the North Country Taxidermy shop. They've got mounts of all different kinds of animals from all over the U.S. and from around the world. Check out their site at http://www.northcountrytaxidermy.com
OH I`ve been there a handfull of times,he does some of the best work that I`ve seen.I hunt the Saranac Lake region,so I drive right by his place.
It seems like the bear population is explodeing up there,along with the moose.I`ve seen my first moose this year crossing the road,on my way to fish Franklin Falls.My buddy had one walk under his stand this past November in Franklin Falls.Also seeing moose tracks here and there.
Keene, what beautiful country,huh? I look at those cliffs and my legs start to hurt,but there are some monsters killed there every year.I`m moving to Saranac Lake this spring and I cant wait.I`m sick and tired of being sick and tired of living here in south Jersey.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:51 PM

Keene, what beautiful country,huh? I look at those cliffs and my legs start to hurt,but there are some monsters killed there every year.I`m moving to Saranac Lake this spring and I cant wait.I`m sick and tired of being sick and tired of living here in south Jersey.
Welcome to New York. It is absolutely georgous in that area. Those "cliffs" you referred to are called the High Peaks. I've climbed all 46 of them. That will get you in shape for hunting season
Old 01-30-2005, 06:55 AM
Spike

ny state should alow baiting or dogs here lands not very good for stalking in most areas . But i think that will be alongtime befor that happens . we have no bear here in oswego area to hunt but I did go out to idaho to hunt bear.(i spot and stalked bear there) they alow dogs and bait in idaho but hunters have to pay a little more and register early to use them other hunters have to stalk if they miss that deadlline. i like the way idaho is set up for bear hunting as well. i would love to hunt bear in our state of ny myself if i get the chance .Good luck to all the hunters and may you get the trophy of your deams.

Quick Reply: NY 2004 Bear Take? and Populations/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.