Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 New Jersey Hunters >

New Jersey Hunters

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

New Jersey Hunters

Old 01-18-2005, 10:42 AM

Default New Jersey Hunters

Hello there Fellow Jersey Hunters. Let me introduce myself. My name is Jerry and I live in Middlesex County NJ. I recently (November) passed my hunting exam and looking for lots of Tips. I currently hunt the Shark River part of the Monmouth County Parks Sustem. Have not seen a deer there yet. Anyways.. back to tips... What should I be doing? Calling? Baiting? Also where else close to middlesex County could I try.? Thank you for all your help guys...

GntleJ
Old 01-18-2005, 02:09 PM

Default RE: New Jersey Hunters

Welcome my friend.

Just wanted to welcome you to the board.
I don't hunt in those areas. I hunt in Ocean County so I could not help you.

1) Look for "runs" where the deer travel and walk it to see where it goes to.
2) How are the deer traveling on those "runs".
3) Do you hunt in the morning? Evening? All day?

These things make a difference in where you want to set up.
As for bait, that is up to you.

Good luck and welcome to the hunting community!!!

RW3
Old 01-18-2005, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

GntleJ

I live in Old Bridge and hunt some "Open Space" areas of Middlesex county that people are not to familiar with....

email me and I'll give you some ideas.

Mike
Old 01-18-2005, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

welcome! you came to the right place. youll get lots of ideas on this board. spending time in the field will be the best teacher. i will try to give you some ideas. in the extreme winter-time like now or any time after the first of the year the deer tend bunch up in small groups.i almost never see a single deer. i think its partly a survival mode thing that the deer do.safety in numbers? also this is right after the deer have been pushed and driven hard from the gun and muzzleoader seasons . the thing is that you'll see a bunch of deer or nothing. baiting with corn will bring the deer into your stand but they come in numbers and polish off the corn quick. i gave up hunting the mornings because the deer in my area only move the last half hour of light. hunting the same areas after a while you will begin to get a formua but they are never set in stone when it comes to deer hunting. you cant get one on the couch and any time in the field is productive if your taking notes. GOOD LUCK AND KEEP US UPDATED.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:59 PM
Typical Buck

welcome to the boards and the world of hunting.

I hunt way up in Zone 2 but here are some tips.

Start scouting now for next Fall as you will be able to see all the sign from last season plus likely tree stand spots.

Keep your ears open and look for contacts in your area for hunting access.

Check these boards and ask lots of questions!!

Good luck.

Bob
Old 01-19-2005, 11:07 AM

Thanks guys that's some good tips there... I had a feeling that rest of this season will pretty much setting up for next season. These days I usually drop about 24 lb of corn every couple of days. I see lots of tracks but I just never see them when I am there. I have hunted early morning and afternoon. So I bought a trail camera but just a little hesitant being I do not want anyone stealing it on me. Once again thank you for all your advice and help. I will have plenty more question I am sure of it...
Old 01-25-2005, 01:06 PM

i'm also in woodbridge there is'nt really alot around here as far as i know. i mostly travel to southern jersey/ pine barrens area. i hear assumpink park is supposed to be pretty good although last time i was out there i didnt see anything (was also second day of 6 day firearm and raining like crazy) .guess it all depends on how far you want to travel.
you might want to check out newark watershed i hear it can be tough to hunt due to there being rather dense overgrowth in some places.but i also hear not alot of people hunt it and there are some real quality deer in there .
Old 01-25-2005, 01:15 PM
Typical Buck

It's a good time of year to learn new property! The snow will let you know thier winter travel routs, feeding areas and bedding too! Good luck!