Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 WEST VIRGINIA "Freezer Hunters" >

WEST VIRGINIA "Freezer Hunters"

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

WEST VIRGINIA "Freezer Hunters"

Old 01-16-2005, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: WEST VIRGINIA "Freezer Hunters"

hey NHBUCK, i might be up for that hunt. although i think i might like to really go for a bear first. isn't it interesting in the way that people can take a resource for granted, such as those who come from states with relatively large deer herds, vs. those from states with far fewer deer. i would be i heaven to see deer all day long, to be able to shoot numerous amounts of doe every year for the freezer, giving me the opportunity to pick and choose the buck that would care to shoot. here's a thought, perhaps those that live in a state with a much larger population of deer should be required to hunt here in new england, in dec. then, after retrieving various body parts that have frozen off in the cold while having been on stand or walking through the woods searching in vain for any deer, they can head for the south, warmer weather, more deer, and a greater appreciation for what their state offers them. i'll take a couple of them out, anyone else?
Pat
Old 01-17-2005, 02:22 AM

VT- Who knows what the future will hold. Had a friend sell his camp in Pittsburgh and get one up in Greenville , ME area and we still have ours up in Columbia, NH. We have every intention if and when we hunt ME and NH to hunt Benoit style. My buddy is a diehard. Not sure if you recall first weekend of Dec last year (O3). We dogged a huge northwoods buck for 2 days while we accumulated 16 plus inches of snow. The ass end loked like a Belgian Draft horse. Rack looked like a tangle of brush with legs. First day we cut his track at 7:30am and came off his track at dark. We jumped him 5 times that day. Second day we scanned the area we left him at and picked up his track around 9Am again tracked him to dark. First day we travelled over 3 ridges and came out a 45 minute ride from our truck when family picked us up. Second day he led us in circles and zig zags. We came out 4 miles from the truck on the same logging road. We saw him 3 times that day but again he never presented a clean shot. All in all we saw him and 2 smaller bucks( 4pt around 160lbs and a spike around 120lbs) and a 1/2 dozen does. What a way to end the season. I am glad in a way that that last Sunday came because day three would have been a physical killer logging miles in snow that deep for 3 in a row.

We could have chanced taking the big boy with some less than lethal shots but we decided a monarch such as he deserved to die in a noble and majestic manner such as he has lived. Our guess based on sightings and print analysis as we tracked him was he would go around 250 to 260 on the hoof.

I literally have a calendar going for the following in '05. Firearms in WI, WV,NJ,ME,NH. Bow in NJ,NY,NH. NH would fall off but my 4YO son likes to go for a walk in the woods with his BB gun and dad during deer season a few times. Unfortunately, many of the States conflict to be there for the openers. WI may win out over WV as they open within a day or 2 of each other. Both are great places to hunt with some dynamite folks but I have never hunted WI and my buddy who lives there I haven't seen in 5 yRS. ME is close as I have friends who hunt near Portland which is 1 1/2 hrs from me and my buddies place in Greenville. Bowhuntercop has invited me to hunt with him in Jersey during firearms and I will most probably venture that way as NJ is originally home and I bowhunt there a few times a year and it is only 4hrs. So many choices so little vacation time!!! I will miss WV if I don't go down this year. Good amount of deer and good folks. Both family and the locals!! I would have even hooked up with MASON and bought him a frosty draft!! So good I have seriously considered relocating there. I am fortunate as my line of work can afford me the chance to move anywhere in the USA. NY, WV are high on the list. I am looking to purchase 50 to 100ac's and plop a new house down. Both of those States have attractive Land prices to someone coming from NE.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

?"
Old 01-18-2005, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

First off- I saw just as many deer as I have any other year when it wasnt 70 degrees out, raining, and windy. We had an aweful year weather wise, and most of the breeding was done at night, and deer activity during the day was minimal.

2nd- Are you forgetting that the eastern half of the state got 4 feet of snow in a week two years ago? That killed off a good many of the worn down deer. And that will definitly show its effects two years later.

3rd - I really dont think antler restrictions are the answer if you want monster bucks. I'm a firm beleiver that ar's allow the best potential bucks to be harvested at 1.5 years old. Why save all the spikes and 4's, when you can harvest the basket 8 pointers legally? And W V also has a large population of mature 4 and 6 pointers. Why leave those bucks that are 85" 6 pointers and 4.5 years old to breed?

West Virginia needs to update it laws, however, I dont think antler restrictions are the answer if you want truely large bucks like this state is capable of producing. Why not head out to one of the 4 bowhunting counties only, and try your luck there. The ration is fairly even, the pressure is light, and the bucks are huge.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:06 PM

I am from Braxton county WV and I hunt for meat. 1 because we like it 2 because vennison is good for you. I do not consider my self a trophy hunter. There are two many does where I live,about a 10 to 1 ratio,way to high to have very many trophy bucks,they inbreed because of the buck to doe ratio. In the southern counties-bow hunting only the ratio is about 3 to1 lots of huge racks not as many deer-6 of 1 half dozen of the other-either you want numbers or huge racks. I do how ever think they need to slow down on the does and limit of 2 bucks a year. A buddy of mine from Matewan showed me a set of sheads he found an 8 point that scored 178 7/8ths,talk about massive,the big ones are here but they don't come every day. The farms won't manage deer and if they did it would go to some high priced outfitter,so if I want the bigones I go south,maybe I'll score 1 day,and its always fair chase,real hunting.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mason I for one am sick of you speaking for me. I could care less the antler size of the deer that I legally kill in MY home state of WV. Until you decide to run for Govenor and win who are you to tell me what I can and should kill. As for your unwarranted attacks on people from other states I guess it just shows that even with all of the book learning that you braggged about they sure didn't give you any class. For those of you that Mason alienated trust me when I say that not all West Virginians share his opinion and you are welcome in my hunting camp any time.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have a strange feeling mason isn't around anymore.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

He ruined another site I visit also.....

I assume it's a kid.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just assumed he was angry b/c his expectaions did not coincide with his abilities. He'll probably re-emerge w/another name, but if he maintains the same repititive rhetoric, he'll be easy to identify
hb
Old 01-19-2005, 04:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

When ever I read the words"true Hunter"like Mason did I know what's going to follow.

Quick Reply: WEST VIRGINIA "Freezer Hunters"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.