Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Question for PA guys... >

Question for PA guys...

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Question for PA guys...

Old 01-08-2005, 01:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question for PA guys...

I live in Ohio, but own a farm and hunt primarily in WV. WV is heading in the AR direction, I think.

You guys have complained about AR's since they came out...well most of you have. That said, is it the AR's you're pissed off at, or the massive killing of does? Some see no deer, and others see tons, kind of like WV.

If the PGC hadn't allowed the liberal doe seasons, and had put on the AR's do you think it would be better?

I'm not stirring the pot, just looking for your opinions. What is your answer to the problem. THANKS!
Old 01-08-2005, 04:44 AM

Default RE: Question for PA guys...

AR would work if there were enough deer around to let it work... when they put out all the antlerless tags they opened season on everything, button buck included... most of these hogs will grab as many tags as they can and kill all they can just for bragging rights or because the game commission allows them too... then they sit and b _ t _ h about there not being any deer around to shoot... they don't grow on trees guys... ya gotta have some seed crop... if WV implements AR without going hog wild on the HR they'll be alright...
Old 01-08-2005, 05:06 AM

Since you're saying AR without HR, you'll fare better than us. Be prepared though , to find a lot of dead protected bucks in the woods.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:18 AM

AR is fine total statewide HR is not and is what the MAJORITY of hunters in Pa are against.
That said there are some areas of Pa without much public access that are over run with the brown rats. Thoses areas should have HR . If a hunter there has access to deer then that hunter should get all the tags they can fill......UNTIL that area is reduced in #s
Old 01-08-2005, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

So what's the answer?

One buck TOTAL per season...2 does???

Just wondering what you guys think is right.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:48 AM

On HR, the answer is much smaller WMU's.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:02 PM

Proline, In Pa we are only allowed one buck a year. Been that way, as far as I know, forever.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:12 PM

i think the ar are fine. but the hr has to be scaled back big time. aleast least for a year or two.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:13 PM

simple enough 1 buck be it a BB or a spike or a 30 pointer just 1 buck per year. And sensible doe tag allotments for smaller WMUs.
The bigger Question is who is happy with the PGC's OWDD goals of 12Deer /sm. NOT MOST hunters in Pa an that is evident by all the complaints that forcred Alt out and the PGC to rethink their management stratages. WB
Old 01-08-2005, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

At 1st many guys were cranky they couldn't pop the 1st spike by, and "how we going to count points on a running buck". Some still are, which is the reason there are MANY more illegal kills than most admit or is published. But I don't think there'd be nearly the fuss, if massive HR hadn't occured in many places.

Quick Reply: Question for PA guys...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.