Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 attracting bears any ideas?? >

attracting bears any ideas??

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

attracting bears any ideas??

Old 01-04-2005, 10:40 AM

Default RE: attracting bears any ideas??

Rob knows!!! A fellow midnight donut dumpster raider!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-04-2005, 10:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Several years ago we were on a bear hunt in Ontario and had a friend who manages a McDonalds save us old cooking grease. We spread it liberally on the ground around the other baits. The idea was for the bears to track the grease out into the bush to create scent trails for other bears to follow in.

Oh, and liquid smoke in a hair spritzer works great too!!!
Old 01-04-2005, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

A PGC Conservation Officer told me once that one of the primary baiting methods used for bear is cooking grease w/bait. Apparently, they catch a lot of guys hunting over greasepits. (illegal in PA)

I guess you just hit up a local restaurant that saves the deep fryer grease (most do) and take 20-40 gallons and keep dumping it all over a big stump or something. Pitch in a 100lb of corn or so, and I'd assume you'll get something's attention.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think they smell the vanilla in the donuts more than anything. ive hunted several times in ontario and they would only touch meat scraps but found this the opposite in maine.i would use the stink bait like blue fish to get them started on a bait. i always liked a simple pit in the ground with several heavy rocks and logs to cover the bait. its way simple and quick to set up and maintain.a bag or a bucket can be seen from a distance so if a smart ole boy is just cruisin through he can see and keep moving only to come back at night.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

hey douglas, here's some more ideas: like it was mentioned, in different areas of the country, bears like different things. here in vt, since we can't bait, we know they love apple orchards, beach trees, and CORN fields. a friend who guides in maine says they don't seem to care for those things as much where he is, they like the blueberries, hate fish. try grease and grain,w/molasses. sweets are like candy, you don't even need to open the packages after the bears are established. peanut hearts are good. my friend like to use either a 55gl drum cut in half, with something heavy placed over the plywood on top, or 5 gal. buckets tied to the tree, loosely. he also likes to make up a concoction of anise oil and fish, placing it in a spray bottle, then spraying the trees after baiting about 6' up, he calls it his calling card, so that in theory the bears learn that after smelling this, they know the bait has been freshened. no smell, no food.