Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 question for MD hunters >

question for MD hunters

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

question for MD hunters

Old 12-28-2004, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default question for MD hunters

Well, I have an obsevation, and was wondering if anyone else was experiencing the same thing. I have been hunting in muzzleloader season, about 6 times so far, and I cannot believe that there are 1. No other hunters out, no shots fired no trucks parked along the road, not even on opening day of M/L. 2. there are NO deer around either, I mean my 200 acre farm that normally holds 30-40 deer annually is desolate!!! I cannot recall the last time I hunted for an entire week and not seen a single deer. I have talked to other hunters that do hunt in a 10 mile radius, and they are experiencing the same thing. Is there truth to the rumor that they have built dug tunnels and are living underground until Feb? Anyone else seeing this???
Old 12-28-2004, 08:29 AM

Default RE: question for MD hunters

I dont live in Md. but the fact is people dont hunt like they use to.same with fishing .It will even decline more with deer population down.first day or to and your pretty much alone
Old 12-28-2004, 08:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think some hunters are getting tired of shivering for nothing. The deer movement has been so little this year, and I know a couple guys who have already hung up their guns for the season.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Central MD hasn't been crazy like before, but there are no shortage of deer here. Of course there isn't much gun zone here either so go figure.

But what little gun zone there is, you can still score somewhat easily.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:06 AM

I am fortunate to have a couple hundred acres to hunt here in MD, and have observed the same thing. No hunters, no shooting and no deer. This past Monday I walked the entire length of the property along the river... NOTHING. I walked along the property line to the bottom of a ridge. Took a stand for more than a couple hours... NOTHING. Walked the bottom portion of the ridge half way back to where I started... NOTHING. Up to the top of the ridge and along the edge... Nothing. Back and forth through the hill top hard woods... NOTHING. No tails, no shots, no hunters. On this property it is rare not to at least see a tail. I know this property gets hunted pretty hard during gun season and my best guess is at least a dozen or more were taken out. On the muzzel loader opener there were at least five other hunters here. No shots no deer. I'll be back out Thurs., Friday, and Sat. I have to get a least one more in the freezer.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:08 AM
Typical Buck

Yes Mossy, the deer have located the old tunnels from the underground railroad used during the civil war. Word has it, PETA is the one that showed them the tunnels.

Seriously, though, deer sightings have been hit or miss. One time I see 12 deer in a 3 hour sitting and the next time, none. The only think I can think of for this weeks inactivity, is the full moon has something to do with it.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:39 AM

I'm with the rest of you guys. Deer sightings have been down this year. I know the deer are still around it just seems they havnt been moving during hunting hours. The moon cycles have fallen at bad times this year too. I usually tag 6-8 deer per year. This year I have been stuck at 4 for a long time. I havnt even taken a deer with a firearm in MD this year. I think its just been an off year, everything wasnt as hot as last year, especially the rut. Hopefully next year will be better....
Old 12-28-2004, 11:11 AM

The facts are,that not many people are hunting,Also all have done some serious control of the deer herd this year.DNR post ,a New record for Shotgun Season,But what others dont look at,is that this does not count,Road Kills,Crop Damage permits,and the ones people do not check in.
The weather,and moon phase ,has really screwed up the minds of all the deer,I have been handling Dead deer removal for a couple county ans also a part of the state roads depts.And also feind calls from local police,to put down deer that are still alive after being hit,What has really caught my attention this year compared to past years,is that 99% of the calls I get during the mid part of the day,to pick up fresh road kills,or the ones,I go out and put down,have been bucks,And the ones killed over night have been about 90% doe's.This is a total turn around from past years.

There are still plenty out there,But down here in the southern portion of Md.,They are grouped up in tight packs,and seem to be moving mainly from 6pm-10pm.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:14 PM
Spike

I've been hunting in Howard County and everything was great until Shotgun season came. It wasn't until the last day of shotgun that I even had a doe to shoot at. This past Saturday was the first time I saw a buck since Friday after Thanksgiving. They just know to change their habits quickly once they get crazy pressure.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its been hit and miss here in southern maryland, I went ou tonight with my brother nad we saw 7 on land I can hunt but as we were leaving in a field I can't hunt there were over 50 deer in it. I know up at Andrews I see deer every night, but they are pretty much confined to the base and if you know where they hang out you'll see them.

Quick Reply: question for MD hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.