Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 2004 NY Late Blackpowder season - >

2004 NY Late Blackpowder season -

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

2004 NY Late Blackpowder season -

Old 12-14-2004, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 2004 NY Late Blackpowder season -

Anyone hunting NY Late Blackpowder season?

If so - post you stories/pictures here - It will be interesting to see what kind of deer people are seeing/taking in the last week.

I still have not tagged a buck this fall - passed a bunch (maybe one too many) younger bucks - but will look forward to taking a mature doe now that I'll have a tag (no doe permits in 7M this fall). A nice sized buck would be nice too - My standards aren't exactly what they were a month ago!
Old 12-16-2004, 09:33 PM

Default RE: 2004 NY Late Blackpowder season -

I was going to get my license but didn't see a deer all during regular season.I have a bad leg and with the cold weather,it is not worth the money for only 1 week of hunting.NYS is terrible to muzzleloaders.Instead of a longer bow season,we need a longer muzzleloader season.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

I have to agree with you mdrbowler99, I have not seen a deer since openning day and that was back 1.5 miles from the car. I have been struggling with whether to get the Muzzleloading stamp/tag(what ever they call it today) for one more chance this saturday but logic keeps telling me I will be wasting my time and money. I too would like to see a better Muzzleloading season - (traditional/primative not modern MZ).
Old 12-17-2004, 01:34 PM
Typical Buck

I too will be hunting, going for number 3.

Guys, Hunt different areas if possible. Its obviousely the locations!!
Old 12-19-2004, 10:09 AM

I went Sat. evening and saw a ton of deer. A big herd of around 10 deer in a field and two lone bucks. Of course I saw all of these on the drive home after seeing squat while actually hunting! Oh well, maybe next year....
Old 12-19-2004, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well - the snow showed alot of tracks - though I only saw one fawn on Saturday Morning. In the evening though - I was very lucky to take a 6 point coming into the soybeans for a meal with about 1/2 hour daylight left.

Heard quite a bit of shooting around - I know one group that took a couple does - but we did not.

good luck to all next season!

FH
Old 12-19-2004, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunted Friday-Sunday am. Great 2.5 days. Had 3 guys and we saw about 20 deer. We each shot (and missed!!!!!). Tracks everywhere. Weather was great - cold, snow. This morning they were really moving - walked out at 7:30 and back in at 9:30, saw three (2-3 doe and a buck) and they walked across my tracks, on the way in to camp 2 more had crossed my track and then 2 more, and a coyote. The highlight was all three of us seeing the big eight that I had gotten a pic of this summer. 1st guy saw and pushed him to me, I had him in my scope at 50 yds, but branch covering vitals, then he walk up to my other bud and he missed him at 40 yds !!! What a nice buck. They really need to extend the season (and not in prime bow season). I would have loved to get anoth couple chances to get back in the woods. Deer really seem to have settled down and were moving "normally". I hope DEC sees the light and gives us about a month after shotgun. This would give us more time and we could pick and choose when to hunt and it would give the deer more time to settle down.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:17 AM

Been hunting hard the last 2 days of muzzleloader along with last part of the week its been open. Today me and my friend hiked the frozen swamp with it being close to 0 and weather people said it would feel like -10. It deffinately felt that way. Walked about 7 miles over the 1000acres and came across 2 deer tracks. If i counted every set of coyote tracks i came across granted it may have been the same pack going back and forth. I would guess close to 100 different set of tracks with the 2 days of light snow we have on the ground. Going to another farm this evening to give it one last try but my hopes of seeing anything or getting a deer couldnt be any more lower then they are now but I have to give it a try... hope the rest of you have had better luck.