Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Anywhere to Hunt in MD? >

Anywhere to Hunt in MD?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Anywhere to Hunt in MD?

Old 12-12-2004, 11:32 AM

Default Anywhere to Hunt in MD?

Hey guys im a new poster but ive been reading a bunch of the posts for a while now. It looks like ill be losing the farm I hunt this year so i figured id get an early start for next year. Do any of you guys know anywhere in MD preferably frederick, washington, or montgomery county but it could be anywhere in MD, where there will be an availability to hunt deer next year. Any info or leads you guys have would be AWESOME.

Thanks a bunch.

Boof
Old 12-12-2004, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anywhere to Hunt in MD?

boof,

I know noone wants to hear about "public" land but the Monocacy Natural Resources Area in Southern Frederick County has some real nice deer. It is surrounded by prime farm land and is at the base of Sugarloaf Mountain. If you can't get a lead on private property you should check this area out. Especially for archery hunts when the pressure is not as great.

HTH,

SteveFinMD
Old 12-13-2004, 09:51 AM

Thanks Steve ill give that i try. Ive hunted the public lands at cunningham falls but never the monocacy or frederick watershed. Do you have any experience down there as in good areas to park, etc?

Thanks Again

Boof
Old 12-13-2004, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Boof,

There are more parking options on the North side of the MNRA. You access that end from Ed Sears Road. Once you start seeing "Public Hunting Area" signs you can park anywhere on the right side of the road that space permits. The first decent spot will accompdate two vehicles. Next is an area that can accomodate up to six or so but be careful about blocking anyone in. At the end of the road is a decent size lot that can hold twenty cars, at least. Once you become familiar with the property you may choose to hunt towards the South side. The parking there is the big lot right off Rt. 28 (left side) after you cross the bridge.

SteveFinMD
Old 12-13-2004, 01:29 PM
Typical Buck

I would suggest staying clear of the Frederick Watershed during gun season!!! Anywhere during gun season can be crazy, but the Watershed is a real zoo!!!

May I also suggest Greenbriar State Park (400 acres in Wash. Co) and Indian Springs WMA in Washington County.

Slice
Old 12-14-2004, 09:58 PM
Spike

I have had luck up in Indian Springs durring early bow. I just started following deer after turkey one spring and harvested in the fall. The Monocacy Natural Resources area in Southern Frederick as indicated in a reply is good also. This is my first year and saw a few. But wrong place at the right time.

David