Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY Bowhunters Reply To 2005 Proposals >

NY Bowhunters Reply To 2005 Proposals

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY Bowhunters Reply To 2005 Proposals

Old 12-18-2004, 10:29 AM

Default RE: NY Bowhunters Reply To 2005 Proposals

Phade,
We all get carried away from time to time, especially when we believe in something as strongly as I believe in this issue. I did not mean to insult Maytom or call him names, if that's what you believe I did. If what I wrote was taken as offensive or inappropriate by yourself or Maytom, then I sincerely apologize for this. It would be just as easy for me to take what you wrote about being "Ignorant " in the same way. I read what your response was to SteveBNY when he brought this up to you, so I'll forget it.
Both please accept my apology and I'll try to keep things more in perspective in the future.

Thank You!
J-Bow
Old 12-19-2004, 10:57 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: J-bow

Phade,
We all get carried away from time to time, especially when we believe in something as strongly as I believe in this issue. I did not mean to insult Maytom or call him names, if that's what you believe I did. If what I wrote was taken as offensive or inappropriate by yourself or Maytom, then I sincerely apologize for this. It would be just as easy for me to take what you wrote about being "Ignorant " in the same way. I read what your response was to SteveBNY when he brought this up to you, so I'll forget it.
Both please accept my apology and I'll try to keep things more in perspective in the future.

Thank You!
J-Bow
Heh, let me clarify the "ignorant" statement.

Princeton's definition of ignorant: unversed.

Hence my reasoning of the remark, as I felt it encapsulated the actions well. But like I stated, it was not meant in fashion as an attack on either of you moreso than to enact a change of pace, and to get all of us on the right track, which we seem to have done nicely.

If you want to see "ignorant"...come over to my house on Christmas morning when the wife gets done opening her gifts. I am sure that will be the least of the damaging names sent my way
Old 12-19-2004, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ditto Phade on most of his reply to kotten.

I especially agree with the length advice. Most people wouldn't have gotten past the background info (however goo/relevant it may be).
I also agree that the DEC nor we as hunters need to be worried abut making the bucks bigger or having more trophy buck, therefore we don't need AR or QDM. I think that needs to be the choice of the individuals and landowners. If you want to institute QDM on your land, that is your right. I think that QDM is a good thing and works in the right circumstances (ie - a lot of acres; 500+, maybe more like 1000 ac.)

I've never been a big fam of the younger hunting age. It's not that I wouldn't have loved to hunt then. I just don't thing that 12 (even 14) year olds are mature enough to take on the responsibility. I could see lowering the age to 14, but making them be accompanied and supervised by an adult.

I don't like the doe only or earn a buck ideas. For one, I do not want to be out in the woods and see a slammer and not be able to shoot it. That would be very frustrating and discouraging. Also, as much as I hate to say it, there are propably many hunters that would take that buck illegally. My suggestion would be to have a earn a doe tag. If/when and where needed hunters could get another doe tag when they get a doe. That would help minimize the effects of the hunters that get doe permits knowing they won't ever use them. Maybe it is a universal doe tag that could be used in any season.

As for the other stuff, check out my comments on this and other similar threads. I think they are fairly straight forward and could appease most parties. A brief synopsis:

1) Bow - stay the same or start Oct. 1st - I really don't think 2 weeks early will be that great. It's warm & heavy with leaves. I would look at it as being able to scope with a bow in tow.
2) Shotgun - start on the proposed Saturday. this would appease most shotgunners even if some traditionalist wouldn't like it. I like the tradition, but could live with the change
3) Late Bow - do away with it?? I would not be heartbroken. I look forward to muzzleloading. Keep it the same if necessary, but I haven't seen a overwhelmingly strong voice season
4) Muzzleloader - open after shotgun. last for 4 weeks.

Bow hunters get to keep their prime rut season and undisturbed hunting and maybe pick up a couple weeks, but lose a good weekend.
Shotgunners get the the saturday opener and gain a weekend of hunting.
MLers get a real season.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are different opinions on the season as there are hunters. I had a good year even though i didn't get a deer. Saw good bucks in bow, saw deer in shotgun (1st 2 days) and had an excellent ML (deer everywhere). The key point to realize is that the deer population can fluctuate on a regional and very localized level. Additionally, just because you did not see many deer doesn't mean they aren't there. Then again, maybe it could. Some hunters may say they see no deer, but they where only out 3 times. Conversely, someone could see 100 deer and have hunted 80 days. The fact is, the deer population is a tricky thing to manage because of the above.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

DBS - great post -good reasons and logic. Your ideas for the season change are pretty much what I would veiw as fair to all.
At the risk of sounding selfish(of which I have been accused by some) the late season could include bow. I know hundreds of bowhunters and can't name 10 who use the late season.
I am an avid bowhunter out every chance I can in the early season, but hang it up when the cold and snow start. So I don't think the few bowhunters who would be out would effect the mz'ers at all. If you see me out, it will bundled up like Frosty with my Omega.

Steve
Old 12-20-2004, 10:16 AM

kotten,

Just got through reading all posts and I like your view best. The DEC needs to get more input from NY sportsmen. I'm going to send them out an e-mail. Let the muzzle loaders have there time after reg. season closes! Can't help but think the DEC has this figured out to make more money from extra muzzle loader tags. No doe hunting on my place this year cause the population is down, but the DEC says kill more doe! I don't get it. Same thing said from my fellow deer hunters.

Also going to join NYB.

whiff
Old 12-20-2004, 10:46 AM

I hunted quite a few days this year and never saw a deer hunting.Last year in the same area ,I saw more deer than ever before hunting.When we got snow,there weren't even any fresh tracks.I just don't know where all the deer are but I didn't get a shot or a sight of one this year.Didn't even waste the money on a muzzle license because the season is only a week.REDICULOUS.