Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pa Buy 'n Burn

Old 12-07-2004, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Pa Buy 'n Burn

A bit out of line ain't we biggbuks????
I could send you a nice pack of deer steaks....I have plenty Would that make you feel better?

Your comments show who the brainless one is.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lonewolf - I've been saying for years that they should have lowered the bag limit for flounder. For the longest time it was 8 fish and they just kept raising the minimum size. That means guys keep fishing and throwing over undersized, potentially gut-hooked fish. They should have lowered it to 4 or 5 fish years ago. What do you need 8 flounder for? If the party boats limit out on two trips a day, every day, all summer, that's a lot of dead flounder. Sorry to change the subject. Anyway, I wasn't serious about the phony harvest report cards. I was just trying to point out that the game commission wants to see the does dead - not just the tags being sold. There are also a lot of guys who buy multiple doe tags and don't fill them. Sometimes they don't have time to even hunt but buy them just in case.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:04 PM

My name is Bob and I am a brainless slob. And everyone else says, "HI BOB!"
You guys crack me up. A guys shoots a good amount of deer, uses everybit of it, gives it to friends and family, saves himself some money, helps thin out the herd in over-populated areas and enjoys himself in a sport that WE ALL love and he's classified a slob with the minority of hunters that waste deer and wound them all season long.
I've known Rybo for about 3 years now and there isn't a more ethical hunter on this board than him. For you to sit back and bash him and others like him for what he does in rediculous.
Buy your tags and burn them or toss them. I'll be in the woods enjoying my sport and hoping the PGC is on the right track.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: biggbuks

ROBOHUNTER your a "bottomfeeder", your the type of ******* the game commission lives on. They love the BRAINLESS!
To the rest of the hunters, Governor Rendell is going to run for re election, let him know your pissed and he is responsible for the GC and their terrible mismanagement of the deer population. 1.6 million hunters resident hunters in PA. = 1.6 million votes "for" or "against" Rendell. He needs these votes.
First, let me express my extreme displeasure at your attack on Rybo. Although I have often said that I dislike the type that buys a book of tags to fill wantonly year in/ year out, I include only those who then complain of falling densities and/or waste much of what they take. Some folks derive their sport from whacking large numbers for the sake of whacking large numbers. However, Rybo could never be included in this sect. He hunts high density areas apparently and makes VERY good use of what he takes. NOTHING wrong with his approach. I have not read of Rybo complaining about his opportunities.
Second, your crude insults are not constructive and do not belong on this board. Using profane language toward a fellow sportsman on this board will get you terminated by the mods.
Third, if you want to do some good, go a step further and go to the top. Don't look to Rendell to solve our problems, get rid of Rendell at the first opportunity, He is the true "bottomfeeder"!
Old 12-07-2004, 08:25 PM

I agree. Robo is definately not in the class of slob hunters that I stated in my post wasted game meat As I previously stated they are few and far between and thank god they are because they give hunters such a bad name. He is also taking an active part in the management of the deer in an area where apparently the numbers need to be reduced which is outstanding and gives hunting a good name. He is following the law and taking what is allowed under the law.

It is easy to see after reading the posts here why there is such a problem.

I state I enjoy the time I get to spend in the woods and camp with friends and family and that is part of the hunting experience.

I'm told it is only because I spend a few days in the woods and the "locals" see deer all year and don't want to freeze their butts off for nothing. I have sat on stands for hours in Maine in November where it can be much colder and got nothing...so goes it, that is all part of hunting.

I ask if there is a possibility of a compromise through attendance of the meetings I have since found out that the PGC holds. A chance to air your views and opinions and try to make things better for all.

I'm told there is not a chance and that Alt lied about everything even though there is a Game Commission that approves things. There were also 22,000 people that attended meetings that were held prior to the enactment of the restrictions and regulations. Did all of the people that are posting on the boards attend those and voice their displeasure. I hope you did!

I've read posts by some that they are killing 8-10 deer per year, which must include 7-9 does as you can only kill one buck to my knowledge in PA per year, which seems to indicate some areas have a pretty large population of deer.

I've also read that there are no deer in the state of PA and that they haven't seen a deer in days and days which seems to me indicates there aren't any deer.

I also read that the whole system is corrupt and it is and was all caused by one person. It had nothing to do with the Game Commission itself, just the plan brought forth by a single individual in charge of the deer management in PA.

n an opposing article I have read that the understory of the forest is being decimated and the large number of problems that the overpopulation of deer is causing.

Sounds like no one can agree on the deer status in PA nor can they agree on what should be done about it. Hope you all figure it out.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good points all, Unc.
The problem lies in the fact that deer densities and habitat conditions vary from one hill to the next. What is good for one is bad medicine for another. Deer cannot be spread out in the terrain like pepperoni on a pizza. We must have smaller WMU's. I too am like you and get my hunting pleasure from merely being in the woods. Taking a freezer load home every year means less than nothing to me. I prefer to pursue more mature bucks only and if I get none, I'm just as happy with the time spent.
Guys that hunt low density areas and kill many does, only to complain later, are not a help to the situation. Wasting the meat from a doe killed in a low density area should be a capital offense among hunters. Those types cause much dissentment among the rest of us.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:07 AM

I'm told it is only because I spend a few days in the woods and the "locals" see deer all year and don't want to freeze their butts off for nothing. I have sat on stands for hours in Maine in November where it can be much colder and got nothing...so goes it, that is all part of hunting.
If you will reread the post you are referring to, you will note that I did not say or imply I was referring to you. I said "someone" that only spents a few days in the woods and since I had no idea how much time you spend I made a very general statement that you took personally.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the backup Bob, livbucks, and UB300.
I realize I am fortunate in the areas I hunt. If I can make use of the meat, and help out a farmer at the same time, its all good. Another part of the reason I obtain so many tags is the hunting opportunties it gives me. I am able to hunt all of archery, rifle, and the after Xmas shotgun SRA season. That is a lot of days afield enjoying what I love most.
I have been in big mountain woods areas before the reductions kicked in and seen how tough it can be to take deer there, even when the numbers were higher. I really do feel bad for many of the hunters of PA who just don't have the chances to take deer anymore.

The disparity between suburban areas and big woods areas is HUGE. And unless a person has hunted both, they have a hard time understanding each one's dynamic. The system is flawed, no doubt. The difficulty lies in getting hunter access to areas that need it most. THe interesting thing about those meetings (I attended 2) is that NO one complained about the HR aspect. Everyone was worried about what bucks they were able to shoot. I really don't think many people cared or realized the HR part of the program until it is hitting them in real life now. We are definitely at crossroads here in PA, with a lot of disgruntled people, and a wide varying status of hunting quality. Somethings gotta give.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rybo,
been busy and almost missed this thread. Let me put in my support as well. You are legally hunting, using your harvest and helping control numbers in and area where that is a real challenge.

Besides, I met 902 once in the field and have known him here a few years and if he says you're OK then you're OK!

Yes you are fortunate, as am I, to be able to hunt in areas with plenty of deer. I'd bet that didnt just happen though. You probably made it happen by putting in the time to get permission to hunt the places you hunt.

Keep up the good work! those of us hunting closer to urban areas need to make sure that deer densities don't get so out of hand that they cause the habitat damage they have up north. We don't want to follow that bad example. IMHO, it is especially crucial that deer hunters in and around the higher population areas do our job in keeping the herd under control. Keeping the numbers in check cleanly and ethically in the areas where the non hunting voting majority lives is crucial to the perpetuation of our sport.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:02 PM

Everyone was worried about what bucks they were able to shoot. I really don't think many people cared or realized the HR part of the program until it is hitting them in real life now. We are definitely at crossroads here in PA, with a lot of disgruntled people, and a wide varying status of hunting qualit
The reason no one cared about HR is because Alt said he would only reduce the herd by 5 %/yr. and never said that the goal was to reduce the herd by over 50%. instead of talking about HR he talked about balancing the herd with the habitat and improving the B/D ratio, which many interpreted to mean more bucks. But,what it meant was fewer legal buck and much lower buck harvests.

At the same time the herd was being reduced they were telling hunters the herd was increasing to record numbers. The even adopted a new computer model to assure that the herd would increase, even though the old model shows that we have reduce the herd by 40% since 2000. The PGC can fool and mislead hunters for awhile , but eventually the decline becomes so obvious even those that support Alt begin asking what happened to all our deer.

Quick Reply: Pa Buy 'n Burn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.