Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA, The deer are gone........ >

PA, The deer are gone........

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA, The deer are gone........

Old 12-04-2004, 04:05 PM

Default PA, The deer are gone........

Fellow hunters, From what information I have gathered from different counties, and from fellow hunters and camps, the deer just aren't there. Ninety-eight percent of the info coming in is that the herd has been drastically reduced. I don't know what the PGC has instore for the future, but at this rate, I and many hunters, will reconsider their purchase of either a hunting license, or doe tags. This situation has gotten out of hand, and the hunting brotherhood needs to address this situation "NOW"!!
Let's band together, and center our crosshairs on better management!!
Old 12-04-2004, 05:41 PM
Host of Hosts

Default RE: PA, The deer are gone........

I have seen this first hand and also have talked to alot of people at different deer processing places. Every one of them said business is down 40 to 50 percent. Some areas still have large numbers of doe, but in those areas you can't hunt them for the most part. All I know is that there are alot of angry hunters in Pa.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think they need to cut out the bonus tags again. Each hunter should be allowed only two tags...one buck and one doe--thats it, no exceptions.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:41 PM

They are not gone..... there are just less of them.

Our deer processor sure is surprised, he has not had to call any extra helpers this year.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would like to see the PGC stuck with lots of unsold doe tags next year. That would be a history making event in Pa..But sadly dont think the hunters could stick together. Heck they are always fighting about this issue. No wonder we have no influence over them old buzzards making the regs.
Old 12-05-2004, 04:13 AM
Typical Buck

I spent 2 days on drives.Being i am older,i was a stander.Out of 10 drives,i saw 2 really small baldies.Too small to shoot?????No one else seen nor shot anything,those 2 days.
The area we hunted was full of deer 4 years ago. No,we do not try to fill all our tages,so we didn't wipe them out. What is strange,is nobody saw any bucks there,last year or this season??
I THINK IT HAS GONE FAR ENOUGH,MR.ALT!!!
Old 12-05-2004, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

AND I THOUGHT LAST YEAR WAS A BAD SEASON.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:19 AM

I agree 100%. Actually that's why I logged on this morning is to start a topic on the exact same thing. I live in Warren County, PA and have hunted the same land for 17 years and I've NEVER had a hunting season like this EVER!!! In 4 days of hunting (aproximately 31 hours of being in the woods) I saw two deer !!! That's right TWO. My dad saw TWO deer. My dad's buddy saw 6 deer total in three different areas. I knew the deer heard in the county was down before the season even started because on an average night of spotting three or four years ago we would stop counting at 100 deer being spotted in a 15 mile stretch. Last year an average night consisted of maybe 40, this year we were lucky to spot 20 in the same stretch. Dr. Alt and the PGC are holding hands with the insurance companies to lessen the number of claims turned in due to vehicles hitting deer. If they keep going down the path that they are going in the present time, our kids will be lucky to see a deer, let alone hunt them. I know of two people personally from my community that has bagged a deer this year. Usually just about everybody I know gets atleast one deer. In the 17 years that I've hunted those same woods, it wasn't unusual to see 60 deer a day a few years ago. Also, I've always been the type to not shoot the first deer that I saw, I got to the point that I was hoping just to be able to get a shot at one, then I just wanted to see one up close, then I got so disgusted, I came out of the woods yesterday and told my wife " I no longer wish to continue contributing to the extermination of the pennsylvania whitetail deer herd". Anyways, I would like to go one step further and boycott the PGC and not purchase a liscense at all next year. It would be hard for I've been hunting for a long long time and I love it, but something has got to be done. Could you imagine if only half of the hunters agreed to do this. Can you say " PANIC".................those guys would have an absolute fit. They wouldn't know what to do. A lot of game wardens would lose their jobs, the PGC would lose a TON of money. I'm not a big fan of the PGC anyways. They say that this is a democracy but we as citizens of the state of PA, never get to vote on PGC and QDM laws and regulations. It's all a bunch of political BS and it needs to stop. In 10 years seeing a deer is going to be like seeing a bear.......... A real TREAT.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

The deer are gone in many areas, but some still can sustain high doe allocations. They just have to target those areas better.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:52 AM

I hunted 4 days ,5 different spots in monroe county and seen a total of 5 does,not much shooting,opening day not a shot fired were I was hunting state land of RT 196 @ 423 intersection,last year in the same spot I took a huge 8 pointer on opening day along with seeing a couple of does ,this year so far ,either I can't seem to put things together.I did hunt the first week with the m/l all week ,maybe next week at the end of the season friday and Sat: will bring out the centerfire rifle ,would like to make some jerky this year,but NO DEER YET
I HAD AN IDEA THAT THE AREA I HUNTED IN THE EARLY M/L SEASON (5 DAY'S) SHOWED VERY LITTLE SIGNS OF DEER AND STALKING TURN UP EMPTY NOT EVEN KICKING UP ANY TAILS
O WELL THAT HUNTING ,MAYBE A LITTLE SNOW COVER ON THE GROUND WOULD HELP ,OTHERWISE IT LIKE FINDING A NEEDLE IN A HAY STACK.

Quick Reply: PA, The deer are gone........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.