Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY hunting law help, what would you do? >

NY hunting law help, what would you do?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY hunting law help, what would you do?

Old 12-02-2004, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY hunting law help, what would you do?

I think it would be prudent to take a step back and take a deep breath. It is going to be much better for both of you (mentally & monetarily) if you can work it out. I don't know what he said to you and you probably do have a right to be pi$$ed off. However, I think it is important to have good nieghbor relations (you may need/want their help some day). I hate it when people get the "I'll sue", "I'll get him", etc attitude. Most situations can be resolved when leveler heads prevail. Most importantly, have your facts straight and KNOW what the law is (shooting near livestock/pastures, adverse possesion, etc.) Don't just assume you know. Make the nieghbor feel comfartable that you are hunting there - show good stewardship, explain how and why you are hunting there, etc.

Good Luck
Old 12-02-2004, 12:30 PM

That is insane..............

Sounds like the other guy is being very inconsiderate. especially for the reasons you have stated. Your land, your taxes, your money, your hard earned time to aquire that and keep it.

AND he's making money off your land. Geeze ..... um profit restitution for how many years back........

unfortunately i think your going to have to take two steps back, invest in that survey and a bit of lawyer consultation just so you know where you stand leagally as far as your land and posession.

I would think you won't/can't do anything till the land is proffessionally serveyed to start.

i think you're better off at this point to get your lawyer involved in it to find out exactly where you stand as well as making sure all your documentation of ownership is in order and on record. Especially if you file all paper work first and it does go to court then he has to prove otherwise, not you.

It will look much better for you in most judges eyes that you got everything in order t's crossed and i's dotted. that and your the one bringing up the complaint. he has to proove otherwise and if his paperwork isn't in order then too bad for him.

once it is surveyed and paperwork is in order and filed on record with your lawyer, I would mark the land thourghouly with construction line paint so he can see where your property starts and give him 1 week to move that fence off your property.

if he didn't do it in one week. I'd do it for him and there would be no fence at all. I'd yank each post out with a tank if i had to and all the wire would be gone. you gave him the option to move it.

horses get loose.......to bad. he should have moved the fence when you gave him the opportunity.

golden rule works well, do unto others as you wish them do unto you, if he's being that much a jerk about YOUR land........I'd say be that much a jerk about your land.

those posted signs are cheap. and if it's your land, surveyed, marked, you post it and find people on it. they can be arrested for tresspass. if you care to call the police and notify them.

it's your private land. survey it, post it, tell him to get off it. also if need be and the guy was that out of hand, contact your local police and have them ****** you to hhis house to "discuss" things civily. usually your local police will help mediate something especially if he got way out of hand like it sound like he did.

I've had problems with neighbors and my dirtbikes. I know they don't want their land tore up so I don't ride on it but they come over the hill whenever i ride and make sure I'm not on their land. and they even approached me as to not riding it so much. HAHAHAHAHA. that's what i do, I ride dirt bikes and why i baught land in the country. you can bet 9 am right on the button next morning i was riding that thing.

TAKE your land back, you paid/paying for it not him.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:37 PM

During bow season me and the horsefarmer talked periodically and things were cool. I talked to him the day before gun and told him where me and my friend were hunting. Didnt seem to have a problem with it. 2 years ago when i went down to ask permission to hunt he was tearing down all his old fence to put up new fence. I asked why he had not put the fence on his land and he said he wasnt paying for a surveyer to re-establish property lines so he just reused the same post holes. He let me park there so i didnt argue at all. He made it loud and clear the day he yelled at me... I either hunt where he says or i dont hunt there at all. That was the wrong thing to say to me on my land. It was he who disrespected me he is the one letting other hunters behind the land hunt on my land and 1 other land owner who own land there and they screw up my hunting and push the deer. I asked him to please not let them back there and he said if i dont like it then don't hunt behind the farm. I'm surveying my land where he lets the people come in and behind his farm to keep him and horses out and the other hunters out. I tried to reason with him and he crossed the line. I'm doing what i have to, to protect myself from other hunters i dont know and protect myself from this man so i can hunt my land. To be honest with the lawyer and surveying will cost a few thousand im sure of it. Dont matter to me one bit about the money and my realationship with this guy has no bearing on me. He has nothing i need or want except a place to park for easier access to my land. Hiking threw the swamp i will deal with for the upcoming years. The past couple years you could feel the tention between us building ever so slightly after i asked him to please not let hunters back in there you could feel the tention. I had a feeling something was gonna happen and it did. I know im sounding like a prick but what gos around comes around and hes not the boss of me and my land.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:44 PM
Typical Buck

This story is pretty wild, albeit not unusual.

Land disputes happen alot. You have a legal right to your property, and BOTH of you must follow the law. Make sure you are at least 500 ft from the dwelling.

If he gets control of the 200ft strip of your land, he will have to pay you for the clearing he did 30 years ago based off of the value of the land. Precedent has been set in that within this state already.

However, he most likely will not seek the land due to cost/value issue. The amount of money to be spent on fees will make th plan not worth it. Survey that baby up, and follow the lines of the law with advice from the lawyer. Then make it official that it is in fact your property, and instead of making him move, offer to lease it to him for $1 a year and parking privelages with the knowledge of where you will be hunting.

Chances are the work and money it will cost him to relocate the fence will piss him off, and if you are nice to him and offer to lease it for a buck and try to be amiable with him, it will calm down the tension. Plus you can park there and hunt. He most likely has another area that he can house the horses at for the few weeks of hunting season, or at least move them to the farthest location and block off that area.

BTW Landlocked parcels must have a right of way in almost every situation. NYS makes clear of this, you might have to pay for minor felling or what not, but land must have a right of way unless otherwise specified.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:49 PM

It's your land, you need to do what's in your best interest, damn the bad luck for him, life isn't fair so he shouldn't expect to be. Do what you need to do, He's telling you to get off your land, right!!!!!! I would tell him in a professional way to move the stupid horses and his fence or I coming in with a track hoe and a dozer and it would be in best interest to move his stuff. Stick to your guns you pay for the land and the taxes. It may cost you a relationship with the farmer but he didn't give a SH#t when he tried to run you off. Tell him to stick it. It's not his he has no opinion on anything. Good luck, don't let him win.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:05 AM

Phade you made a very good point about offering him the land for $1 and knowledge of where i will be hunting. As far as i know you do not have a right of way to a piece of landlocked land unless it is stipulated in the deed. I will find out more from lawyer. I am going to get the land surveyed and have the surveyer take lots of pictures. I dont know if i should go down and see him with a witness or a recorder in my pocket and talk to him in person and let him know what the surveryer found out. Give him his options and deal with my hunting back there. If he dont want to negotiate with him so we can come upon terms we can both agree on then we will go down the hardroad. One thing i got thinking about is that is a well known horsefarm with big $$$ horses. Im sure you all know who "funnycide" is? He was raised in Saratoga Springs, first NY bread horse to win the derby and other races i dont really care about at all. It was on this farm on part of which is my land. I mean I want to hunt my land but yet dont want to open a door to other problems that arent there now but could be down the road with the bigwigs. Either way i can make things harder for him then he can for me and i can stand my ground. Thanks for all the advice that i have considered and i will make periodic posts as time gos on with how things are going. LOU-LOU2... you sound like me very much... i have dirtbikes, 4 wheelers and snowmobiles also. I love to carp shoot also... this spring i plan on having a carp tournament when and if it all comes together i will make a post under bowfishing. There havent been any carp tournaments that ammount to anything the past couple years here... Why you ask? All the F'n city slickers hate generators and carp shooters for the 2 nights a year we had the tournament. The people setting it up took heat from the lake association and canceled the tournaments. I love these city slickers (not) they base lake rights and "power" on how much land you own. I own the most land yet am kept out of the picture on what gos on around here. I will have the carp shoot and i dont care what anyone thinks. It will be within the law and be legal. The outdoorsman around me catch alot of heat.. duck hunters on the lake for sure from the "skull boats" that row till the ice comes and duck hunters are shooting. I was talking to the local tackle/bait shop about setting up meetings and see if they take off. We need to get hunters and fisherman together around here cause the forces working against us right now are stronger then we are.