Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Mountain Lion Sightings in PENNSYLVANIA >

Mountain Lion Sightings in PENNSYLVANIA

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Mountain Lion Sightings in PENNSYLVANIA

Old 10-17-2004, 01:42 PM

Default RE: Mountain Lion Sightings in PENNSYLVANIA

Ill just add to the rumors, a good friend just told me this weekend the PGC was retrieving a radio collored mountain lion from faylors lake in snyder Co. he was told someone shot the lion, and tied it to a Block or Rock, and sank it in the lake, i talked to another friend and told him of this story and he admitted to seeing A lion in the same area hunting last year.
As far as leagly shooting one, its a pretty grey area. i know its leagle to kill animals in the wild not domestic to the state. such as Cows Dogs Buffalo etc. I perssonnally would shoot one, and would go around bragging about it. it would be a definate once in a lifetime thing, and Me being able to proove the myths would be worth the fine, after all the PGC said there aren't any here so the one i would shoot would of had to be a pet that got loose
Old 10-18-2004, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, as far as rumors, I for one know they are here. Wether soneone believes me or not is their business, it doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I saw one spotting about 30 yards from my car. I was with my father and two of my uncles and he was laying out in a field not far from the road. We were right outside of mifflintown in Juniata county. The following morning we went back to look for tracks and found a nice 8 point half eaten with tracks all around it. I still use the antlers for rattling. A few years later I worked in Allentown and drove past a dead one laying along the highway. It was about 2 feet from my car looking right at me and there was no mistaking it. Of course it was gone the next morning. The final encounter I had was in Lycoming county right below slate run. My uncle ran into one heading out for an evening hunt. He took us out to the location he saw it and we found the tracks. They led right to a tree where we found a nice size doe hanging from one of the lower branches. So in my mind I know the truth I'm just waiting for enough evidence to come to light for the game commission to admit it.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well , I can't hold it back any longer. My family has a camp in Elk Co. bordering ANF. A few years ago we were there in the summer sitting around the fire in the afternoon. I kept hearing noises in the brush behind the camp. When the dog started barking I got up and walked into the woods to see. I was about to turn around and I looked directly into the eyes of a big cat at about 20 yards. He just looks at me calmly and turns around to leave. I thought it was a bobcat at first but when he turned and had a long tail I thought otherwise. I never said a word to my family because they would have made fun out of me and jagged me for life, saying that bigfoot said hi and stuff like that. That is why I would like to see proof of them, so I know I am not nuts.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:01 PM

well my friends it's very odd that i just brought up this topic the other day because my buddy, his wife, and his son spotted a mountain lion on the side of the road in lower ny state (about 15 from pa border) in the seneca indian reservation. the whole family saw it and i believe them!!! they said it was sitting in a swamp next to the road. my wife was reading my topic and asked me if i heard about what mike and heather saw saturday. i told her no and she proceeded to tell me.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:24 PM

well i talk to a local warden today, and told him the same storie of the lion in faylors lake, he just laughed and said" people will come up with anything wont they" it almost reminds you of the X-FILES. The truth is out there, would somebody please prove it.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:02 AM

ONLY WAY WE CAN PROVE THIS IS TO PUT A TRACKING DEVICE ON ONE OF THESE CATS. AND THAT WOULD TAKE A FEW BUCK BUT I KNOW FOR SURE THEY HAVE THEM I SEEN THEM AND I KNOW WHAT I SEEN.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:08 PM

Well guy's if it's not true then I'm nut'z too cause, I was up in Pike county for the weekend and had a mountain lion in the backyard one night. It even left a nice present for me in the morning, a BIG PILE of scat which was proof positive for me. I know it was hunting deer cause there's a deer trail that crosses right through the back of the property. I'll have to set traps next time I'm up there. Anybody know which traps would be good, size or make and model?
Old 10-30-2004, 12:33 AM

NemisusDM ~

Sorry I didn't see this post earlier, but I know some people I suspect would be willing to help pay to get that "present" analyzed and officially declared from cougar. I don't know if they can trace the origin/species info of cougars via scat, but maybe... Sure would be helpful to have evidence for those concerned about them wandering freely about with no officials admitting this is happening.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

It is illegal to kill a mountain lion in Pa. No grey area. I called the PGC and ask. Because the mountain lion at one time in the past was a native animal to pa. Shooting one would bring a hefty fine I was told.Trapping one also is against the law.So How do we prove it I ask?? He said stop wasting your time and forget it ,no such animal exist in pa. unless it is one that escaped from captivity.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:32 AM

well PA has a lot of untamed woods.
Not true, I'd bet you can find a discarded beer or soda can most anywhere[>:]

Quick Reply: Mountain Lion Sightings in PENNSYLVANIA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.