Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
IMPORTANT!!!!! UPDATE on ALTS POLL< TELL ME WHY !! >

IMPORTANT!!!!! UPDATE on ALTS POLL< TELL ME WHY !!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

IMPORTANT!!!!! UPDATE on ALTS POLL< TELL ME WHY !!

Old 03-04-2002, 03:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: IMPORTANT!!!!! UPDATE on ALTS POLL< TELL ME WHY !!

Buck magnet,Thats what the message boards are for.Everyone has a different idea.Mine just seem to be a little odd most my life and dont always go with the flow.A guy told me the other night that the reason a old goat like me wants to see alot of deer when
they hunt is cause I relize I'm running out of time in my life to hunt.And I'm trying to squeeze every deer kill in before I croak.Maybe he is right? I'm a old goat out of touch.What ever the state does they do.
Old 03-04-2002, 03:55 PM

O don't say that, you have plenty of time left Cardeer.

Good Luck This Season: Buck Magnet
&quot;Hunting is not a sport, it is a passion, it is a WAY OF LIFE&quot;
Old 03-04-2002, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

CD that is horrible for someone to say.

Well I was wondering about the food plots on public land idea. What about the health of the deer being so close together. Like passing diseases back and forth. I do think it sounds interesting but what about the health issue? I also feel that if food plots were a good idea and ever was thought to be a possibility then I would volunteer my time to help maintaining it and find groups or and most likely other hunters to help out. I really don't think it would be hard to find help in doing it.

But I still think that we need to get the herd under control. We need to harvest more deer and then maybe food plots would work better then if you just did it now. We still need to reduce the herd some more.

But a lot of good posts guys keep it up. Northjeff great job on you last couple posts

brian
Old 03-04-2002, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would like to say that this has been the most enjoyable thread on this subject in a while or even ever. Lots of good people giving there opinions. Great job this is very enjoyable.

Brian
Old 03-04-2002, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh one more thing Even Frank posted on this thread and that has got to say something because he doesn't get into it on other threads like this as it gets pretty heated but he did here so that has got to say something.

Brian
Old 03-04-2002, 09:31 PM

445, I feel the same way about this post. This is one of the, no, this is the most peaceful and EDUCATING threads on this subject. I am really impressed, good job guys.

Old 03-06-2002, 12:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

NOTE PLEASE &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;I would like to add one more suggestion Mr game commission.Would you please consider setting up a program that the disabled hunter could take advantage of all the suburban city,state ,federal parks for hunting deer with a bow or crossbow.These areas are some of your biggest problems as far as over population.Many poor disabled hunters cant afford a 4 wheeler,trailer,truck to pull it .Plus they need help getting the heavy equipment to the huge vast areas of gamelands.Myself being one of those guys.If I had 8000 for a 4 wheeler I would go out west and use a guide.Thanks
Old 03-06-2002, 12:46 PM

That is a good idea Cardeer, I think the PGC should help out the senior hunters that are disabled. Guys like you are the ones that have put alot of money and years into hunting in Pennsylvania, I think that you guys should get something in return.

Old 03-07-2002, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have time right now to explain in detail how I feel, but I have told him in person how I felt and that I think he is doing a good job and don't let all the narrow minded people who bash him to stop him from trying. That said I do have a few small reservations about some things, but ultimately if the hunters follow the rules I think it will work.
Old 03-18-2002, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

I am all in favor of his proposals. I know where I hunt that the doe to buck ratio is still poor and we (my hunting group)are working hard to change this, (perhaps 12 to 1 in my estimation.) and 65 degree weather in December does not help the cause!!!!! But it is really hard to do QDMA when your neighbors restrict the harvest of doe! I would like to see more doe permits issued and greater land owner control, which from my understanding will eventually perhaps next year be implemented. I too would like to see more and bigger bucks.

However, if you have not seen the damage deer can do to the forest you probably hunt in an agricultural area in ideal habitat. I hunt in the mountains of Bradford county and I have seen first hand what too many deer can do to the forest..they decimate it!! For the people that complain there are no deer, that is because they have nothing to eat! they either died of starvation or moved out! When I first started hunting we would easily see 100 deer or more a day! this is no joke. But we would hardly see a buck and if we did it would be a spike with 3&quot; horns. As the bonus tag system was implimented we killed alot of doe, and then logging started to occur, thus, the deer had more to eat and guess what. More and bigger deer including nicer bucks. Now you might be lucky to see a dozen deer a day where i hunt. But the deer are good size in great shape and the bucks if allowed to grow at least to 2-1/2 years of age are really nice size. But I and the rest of my hunting party would rather see this than a deer behind every tree.

I hope for everyones sake that his proposals pass..If they dont we have a long hill to climb to get as far as we have with this.
Also, a pat on the back to Gary Alt!! He has worked extremely hard at this and put up with alot in regards to his proposals..God bless him!

Quick Reply: IMPORTANT!!!!! UPDATE on ALTS POLL< TELL ME WHY !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.