Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

THE RUT

Old 10-08-2004, 07:50 AM

Default THE RUT

HEY GUYS I'M IN SE PA AND I NEVER RATTLED FOR DEER BEFORE. DOES ANYONE KNOW THE BEST TIME TO RATTLE AND PUT SCENTS OUT. WOULD REALLY LIKE TO TRY.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:55 AM

Default RE: THE RUT

I usually start breaking out the horns and scents after our ML season ends in MD which is around the 3rd week in Oct. I have used them earlier and had some success, but that is when things are really starting heat up, and calling and scents are most effective...for me.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:48 AM

Hey Greek, here is an article that I had forwarded to me, I'll post for your info, hope it helps....

Pre-Rut
9/26 - 10/21

Seeking Phase
10/24 - 11/1

Chase Phase
10/30 - 11/8

Breeding Phase
11/4 - 11/18

Brief Second Rut
Around 12/8

These are approximate, of course, but they're based on moon phases and I found last year's calculation corresponded with last year's activity pretty well.

Here's the article for those who don't have it from last year's post:

Autumnal Equinox: The first day of fall, when there are 12-hours of light and
12-hours of darkness. Sep 22, 2004

Pre-Rut Moon: The Harvest Moon, or the first full moon after the fall equinox. Sep 28, 2004
Pre Rut begins a couple of days before the Pre Rut Moon and ends seven days before the Rutting Moon..Oct 21, 2004.

· Hunt food sources, stay out of Rut Hot-Spots.
· Bucks are still traveling in Bachelor Groups.
· Rattling is more likely to produce subordinate bucks.
· Roughly 10% of the does come into estrus around the pre-rut moon.

Rutting Moon: Oct 28, 2004 Sometimes called the Hunter's Moon, the second full moon after the fall equinox. This begins the Chase Phase, which last through the third quarter.

· If the Rutting Moon falls during the first eight days of November, the
Rut's intensity is greater.
· Shift attention to the Scrapes and Rub Lines.
· Rattling & calling works well, the more aggressive the better. Rattling
works best from a week before the rutting moon to about the third
phase of the moon.

Seeking Phase: Oct 23/24, 2004 Begins three to four days before the rutting moon and ends two to three days after, and is characterized by intense scraping.

Chase Phase: Oct 30, 2004 Begins two days after the Rutting Moon, and lasts three to four days into Breeding Phase, also characterized by intense scraping.

Breeding Phase: Begins seven days after the Rutting Moon and lasts 14-days, scraping ends.

Post Rut: By this time 80-90% of the does are bred. Hunt food sources.
Roughly 28-days after the peak of the first rut, a smaller, second rut occurs.

· Most does are breed under a dark moon period. Based on an average
199-gestation period, most fawns are born within a day of the third quarter
moon.

According to Drury Outdoors' Videos, they plan their hunts when the moon is falling in the morning or rising in the early afternoon (as well as when there is a high pressure system).

The moon basically does the same thing the sun does. It rises (moonrise), gets to it's highest/mid point (moon transit), falls and sets (moonset).
Old 10-13-2004, 10:57 AM

HEY GUYS THANKS FOR THE INFO DO YOU THINK THE ANTLERS FROM LIKE DICKS SPORTING GOODS THE ONES MADE FROM PLASTIC WILL WORK FINE TO RATTLE FOR THE BUCKS
Old 10-13-2004, 10:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Greek hunter i have found out in our area usually the last week in October things start and the peek seems to be 2nd week of November. Now I have experienced that the buck in Pa will respond better if the rattling is softer and not as aggressive as say Iowa ,texas or one of those big buck states.I have had bucks turn around and run for their lives when using the antlers here in Pa, when the same technique in Texas would have them running toward me.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

DO YOU THINK THE ANTLERS FROM LIKE DICKS SPORTING GOODS THE ONES MADE FROM PLASTIC WILL WORK FINE TO RATTLE FOR THE BUCKS
I think the name of the store says it all. JMO.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

Interestingly, I have noted via game cams, and scouting that the bachelor groups broke up at the end of September. I have since been unable to see a bachelor group, and this usually coincides with the velvet coming off, or just a bit after.