Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Lefty sticks a doe >

Lefty sticks a doe

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Lefty sticks a doe

Old 10-08-2004, 06:06 AM

Default Lefty sticks a doe

Went hunting Wednesday night with Rick C. at Monocacy. I sat on a trail that led up to the corn fields, about 6:45 I caught some movement about 15 yards out in front of me. Looked to be about 5 or 6 deer, first one through my lane was a button buck, second one was a decent size doe. I drew on her while her head was behind a tree, when she hit my lane I let the big dog eat and made a good shot right behind the shoulder. She made it about 60 yards before she piled up. She ran through some of the thickest junk I have ever seen, but thanks to Rick's help I was able to get her out of there. Here are some pics.

Old 10-08-2004, 07:13 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Lefty sticks a doe

Lefty,
That was a good learning experience for me. This was the first time I saw a deer gutted, and my first time helping to drag one out. Thanks for the tail, I plan to tie a few saltwater flies with it before my trip to the Outer Banks later this month. Hopefully when I get back I can have some surf and turf (speckled trout and venison)!

-Rick C.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:20 AM

Congrats Lefty!!! That's a nice looking doe. Nice shot placement too, you must have nerves of steel!!!!!

Now go get you a monster!!!!!!
Old 10-08-2004, 07:34 AM

Rick,

I'm glad you learned something, I'm glad you were there, if not I may still be dragging that deer out of there... Its your turn next man, I cant wait till you bag one.

Solax,

She was stopped at 15 yards perfect broadside so I was able to take my time and put the arrow right where it needed to go. I need to get one more doe and then I will have 2 bucks bucks tags to use, so I will be after the big boys then.

On a side note I switched to the Rocky Mountain Snypers this year, and was a little skeptical about using a mechanical head for the first time. You cant see it in those pics but that little broadhead left an entrance hole big enough for me to stick my hand in. I had a blood trail a blind man could follow, I could not believe the damage that little 2 blade head did on that deer. Here is a pic of the entry hole, I wasnt gonna post it at first, but what the heck......just a disclaimer for anyone who is squimish, the pic below is a closeup of a broadhead entry wound, if you dont like that kind of stuff dont scroll down....

Here is the head, 1 3/8" cutting diameter

Here is the hole that little thing poked.

Old 10-08-2004, 08:33 AM

Nice Shot. I just got off the phone with DNR requesting the hunting guide that shows the map and boundries to hunt the Monocacy NRMA. I am new to hunting and live in Carroll County so I'm looking for some public places close by to hunt. I got started last year on private land with a friend and will hunt with him again but he won't be going for a few weeks, so in the mean time I just need to get in the woods. Maybe I'll see you out there sometime.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:35 AM
Typical Buck

Lefty is the man!!

Riverwade-

There is a group of us from the Northeast forum on Huntingnet that has been getting together for hunts at Monocasy. Perhaps you could meet up with us sometime. We are also planning a hunt at Monocasy for Nov 5th. It's a good group of guys, even if some of them don't really know Monocasy like the "back of their hand".

Slice
Old 10-08-2004, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Lefty, I was beginning to think there weren't any deer in that place LOL
Old 10-08-2004, 12:51 PM

Slice, I'm going to try and scout that area out either Sunday AM or some night after work next week. I work in Bethesda so it would be easy to stop there after work. I may be away Nov. 5th but if I can swing it, yes, I'd be interested in a group hunt. Sounds like a good time. Do you know if there are boundry maps online for that area? I was told to stop by the Seneca Creek St. Park to pick up the map but don't think I can get there today. Does that area get much pressure from bowhunters?
Old 10-08-2004, 01:00 PM

Riverwade,

Are you talking about Monocacy or Mckee Beshers? Beshers is right next to Seneca state park near Rockville, Monocacy is right outside of Frederick. Both spots are great for bowhunting and receive minimal bowhunting pressure. Both spots have some big bucks. I hunt Monocacy after work a lot if you want to meet up and hunt I can show you around, like Slice said i know that place like the back of my hand..
Old 10-08-2004, 01:14 PM

Lefty, When I called DNR they gave me the number for Seneca to pick up the maps, but the Monocacy is what I was interested in. If I don't scout it out this Sunday, I will definitely check it out after work one night next week. If you are planning on going next week, please let me know. I'd love to skip my learning curve about the place with someone who knows it....."like the back of their hand"

Quick Reply: Lefty sticks a doe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.