Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Peak deer movement vs time of season >

Peak deer movement vs time of season

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Peak deer movement vs time of season

Old 10-08-2004, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default Peak deer movement vs time of season

I have been out 7-8 times so far since the season opened here in Maryland. So far I have only seen deer in the evening hours, none yet in the morning hours.

My question is do deer tend to move more in the evening during the early season? Do they tend to move more in morning or evening as it gets into the rut and late season?

Thanks in advance.

-Rick C.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:06 AM

Default RE: Peak deer movement vs time of season

Personally, I think that when we walk in, in the morning, the deer are there and up, but we spook them by entering the woods near daybreak, leading to less deer sightings. When we enter in the afternoon, the deer are bedded, and are less disturbed by our entry, so that last hour of daylight becomes the best hunting time.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:25 AM

It also depends on the specific spot your hunting. Some areas are better in the morning and some are better in the evening. Figuring out the deers patterns will help determine when your spot should to be good. Sometimes you find spots that are good anytime, those are the ones you dont tell anyone about!!!!
Old 10-08-2004, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Both are very valid answers. I hunt private ground so we don't have any pressure. What I notice is that it really depends on the weather in any given day. When its warm early in the season, deer seem to get to their beds a lot earlier, getting out of the feilds and up over the mountain to their bedding areas before light a lot of times. They will also move real late in the evening taking advantage of the cooler air. As the season rolls on, I've notice deer spending a lot longer time in the feilds in the morning before moving toward bedding zones.

When it gets real cold, we see deer moving during mid day as much as any time.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:14 PM

I was just going to ask the same question!

I usually see more movement in the morning. My property is mostly wooded and is bedding area for the does. This year there is a cornfield on the top of the hill and I try to set up where I think they will be coming in. I woner how things will change when they finally cut the corn?