Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 DE Archery Season September >

DE Archery Season September

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

DE Archery Season September

Old 09-03-2004, 07:07 PM

Default DE Archery Season September

OK Guys, I know its only the 3rd, but its too damn quiet. Where are all the bow hunters?!?!? I'll be heading out tomorrow and Monday. The wind isnt great for morning hunts for me, but its better than sittin at home.

I know whats going on! You all are packing the bows away and waiting for those Shotgun slaughter Doe days in October. Figure you'll just bide your time and bag a dumb doe huh? Well shame on all of ya!

Seriously, lets get some reports going. The morning weather has been awsome for Sept. Someone else has to be hitting the woods. Let us all know how you are doing!
Old 09-03-2004, 07:45 PM

Default RE: DE Archery Season September

I'm gearing up for my season to open up in new hampshire on the 15th got all the scouting done just need to hang 2 more stands this weekend. My evening stands look great,but my morning stands are so-so but i'll be hunting them every chance i get.Good luck let us know how you do
Old 09-04-2004, 05:53 PM

Hunted the leased place this morning. All was quiet. I checked the sign in board out at the public place and it appears the weekend warriors were out this morning. 9 out of 12 areas taken and there was only 1 vehicle in the parking lot when I drove by at 9:30am. No reported kills on the board.

There are deer in area at the leased place but the sign is not as thick as last year. I just think there is alot more crop around this year and they can feed, rest and move as they choose. It'll get better as time moves on. Until the Shotgun doe days fiasco anyhow.

Anyone else venture out today? I'll head out Monday morning again. Where depends on the weather.
Old 09-05-2004, 03:43 PM

i am still here DM...i am hunting 2-3 states this year and i have been setting things up on a private property in NJ that i just got on. i will have pics soon...trust me u have to kill a doe first and then whatever... this time of the year is really tough hunting in DE because of all of the crops. i love Nov-jan there because the deer move more and are looking for food. when the persimmons begin dropping is a hot time too. well, good luck and i will be hunting de on wed evening. looking for a fat doe because i know te buck that i want will be nowhere in sight
Old 09-06-2004, 11:18 AM

Had a really big doe come by this morning. Closest she got though was 35yds. [:'(] Thats the max of my effective bow range and yesterday I just wasnt consistant at that range while practicing to feel confident with that shot. Hurts when they are broadside standing still like that! Had the old yellow pin on her, but I passed the shot.

I dont like to take shots that are more than 25yds. I have the 35yd pin set up just in case the deer of a lifetime comes along. This doe was real nice, but not that nice.

Even if I did make a hell of a shot, she was standing in the middle of the fresh water bog our woods have become. That would have been a sloppy retieve.

Will try again next week.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:14 PM

i have a 70yd pin set on my mathews...hate 2 say it. i try to practice 50+ and move in here and there for 20-40yd shots. it has improved my shooting over the past 3 years. i have yet to take a long shot like that at a deer, but u never know. i had a brute buck come by me at 72 yds a some time ago and i decided then that i was going to learn to shoot at long distances. i would like to hit something, besides the target, at 60 this year....we'll see
Old 09-06-2004, 04:05 PM

I can hit my decoy in the vitals 8 outta 10 at 40 yds but I dont feel my bow has the ass to do the job past 35yds. I'm sure it will at 25yds so thats the way I like to keep it. If you can kill'em clean past 40 yds, god bless! But i'll never try it.

Looking forward to next Saturday already!
Old 09-06-2004, 07:45 PM

9/6/2004 5:05:06 PM Report Abuse | ID: 749008 <image/asc.gif>
Page:
i will let u know next week....i am hunting n nj over the weekend and next week. alot of deer on the property i am hunting...they are in a pasture every evening....15-20 o my. i am going to either hunt from my lone wolf hang on or my double bull t2. if i hunt from the t2 i will film it
Old 09-08-2004, 10:47 AM

OK guys, your not gona believe this but guess what happened to me? My first day out was this past Monday. I went out early because I usually check off the fist time out as an equipment check day. Yes I go over everythign in advance but this is the first day of operation in the woods. Anyhow I go to my regular spot in the Pike Creek area and by 8:00 I haven't seen anything and start to nod off a bit. At 8:30 I hear a noise behind me that just didn't sound like a squirrel. I set up 15 yards or so from a creek and I think I heard something jumping from the far side to my side. So I stand up and slowly turn and what do I see....great big horns! The buck is about 30 yrds behind me and comming closer. He stops for a moment to look back and another buck jumps the creek. The two of them are coming and I start to reach for my bow when out of the corner of my eye I see yet another buck jump across at the same spot.

Now I have a big 8pt and two nice 6 pt bucks lined up one behind the other walking past me at 20yrds. The 8pt would hesitate and look back each time one of the other bucks jumped the creek. Once the third buck came over they stopped to brouse long enough for me to draw and shoot.

The 8pt spun around in a 180 and started looking around for what just caused the noise as did both other bucks. I thought I missed. I begin to reach for another arrow as none of the bucks ran off, they where just standing there looking around. Before I could get a second arrow out of my quiver I noticed the big 8pt starting to sway from side to side. Then plop... he just fell over. My 100 grain Muzzy went through his heart.

The two smaller bucks miller around for 15 minuits before finally leaving the bigger buck. I never shot a buck this big before and can not judge his score but I do carry a tiny tape measure and his inside spread was 15 1/2". I was able to put my quality tag on him. I regret not having a digital camera but got plenty of 35mm shots. I already took the cape to the Taxidermist and am planning on putting a picture on the board at Dicks near the mall.

I'm sure he's not a giant, but he is a trophy to me! Some of the guys I work with as well as Mark at the butcher shop estimate his age to be around 3 to 31/2 yrs old. I hope to find his daddy later this year.

Good luck to all! -Ken
Old 09-08-2004, 06:30 PM

Way to go Ken! Great job! Nice to hear someone is bringing home the Venison.

Im hoping to get a shot on Saturday. After that, it'll be a while before I can hunt again. Im traveling up to MA for work then I have to work the weekend of the 18th I'll get a comp day for it all later in Sept, but it hurts not being in the woods. Esp with the Oct Doe slaughter gun days ****** up the Archery hunting. Oh well, you do what you can when you can.

Once again, Congrats DE.Hunter! Sounds like a great deer!

Quick Reply: DE Archery Season September

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.