Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Any one out there from NY??? >

Any one out there from NY???

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Any one out there from NY???

Old 08-15-2004, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default Any one out there from NY???

Just a new member that stopped by to say hello. Anyone out there been seeing any nice bucks kickin' around?
Old 08-15-2004, 04:59 PM

Default RE: Any one out there from NY???

Also from NY, Columbia County. I've seen more bucks this year than I have in past years. I hope this is a good sign.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:38 AM
Fork Horn

I live in the southern tier of NY, I have seen some good bucks this year, better than last year. I have also noticed that the doe pop in still up in numbers, I guess we gotta do some thinning out this year.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:47 AM
Typical Buck

Wheatfield, which is in Niagara County. Less than 9 weeks to go!
Old 08-16-2004, 08:42 AM

I'm on the border in MA...all your deer are belong to us
Old 08-16-2004, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hmmm..... (yeah, I know my "from:" line says Richmond, VA)

Originally from: Poughkeepsie, NY (technically east of Pok' - grew up in LaGrangeville).
Family summer cottage: Small 3 mile lake way way WAY up in the northern Adirondacks near St. Regis Falls, called Lake Ozonia).
Sisters/Bro-in-law's: Still live around Dutchess County area.
Oldest sister/bro-in-law/elderly mom (dad deceased): Retired from Poughkeepsie area and bought 125 acre farm up in Madison county in the tiny town of Brookfield (near Hamilton). Beautiful country!!! [8D]
Wife from: West Seneca, NY (Buffalo suburb)

I'd love to go "back home" to upstate NY, but a lot has changed since the 60's and 70's. NY State ain't the same state that I remember as a kid! [&o]

Butch A.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

Bowfreak4life:

Where are you from in Steuben County? I'm also from Steuben County. I live in Prattsburgh...about 10 minutes west of Keuka Lake. You' re right...from what I've seen so far this year it looks like there are more nice bucks around than there were last year. Last season was probably the worst I've ever seen around here.

I've just got permission to bow hunt on a 450-acre farm up the road from my house that looks like it's got lots of potentail. So far this summer, I've seen / videotaped over 30 different bucks feeding in the alfalfa and hayfields on this one farm. There are tons of yearling bucks and alot of really nice 2-3 year olds as well as several really nice older P&Y class bruisers including one beautiful 150-155 class 10-pt. that I found a shed from back in March. It's just too bad that the young bucks get hammered as much as they do around here. Our area has the potential to produce (and does produce) some really big deer. I can only image what would be around on this farm next season if half of these bucks could make it through season. Any wallhangers being reported around your neck of the county? Good luck this fall.

P.S. I just wanna say hi to everyone who replied to this post and introduced thmselves.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

WNY Bowhunter:
I live in Elmira, but do most of my hunting in Stuben and Schuyler Co's. I know what you mean, it's a shame the smaller bucks get wasted, We could really produce some monsters, well we do now, But just think of the possibilties if people would hold off on hammering the little 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 year olds. I saw a few 6 pointers last year I let walk just cuse they had good racks and knowing this year they would be even better, There are a couple nice deer I will try to get this year, I got a 12 pointer on this little place that will go an easy 160, 165 he's got like 12 inch brow tines maybe 21, 22 inch spread, huge mass. thick base. I hope I get a chance, a few 130, 140 class. alot of small 6 pointers.. it's gonna be a good year. I cant belive the bucks I have seen this year, alot more than last year. I hope they are still around in Oct. I got some good farm land to hunt this year, this one place I will be hunting this year, no one has hunted on this in like 20 years, that is where that 12 point is at, I got a feeling he isn't the biggest one out there, the guy who owns the land told me he has seen a buck thats a non typical he says he has at least 26 points, I hope he isn't pulling my leg. I have no reason to not belive him, but you never know. Well good luck to you, maybe we could meet up sometime and hunt, Iam always up for meeting new bow friends. Take care.
Daryl
Old 08-16-2004, 08:11 PM
Fork Horn

Bowfreak4life:

He's a nice 4 1/2 year old Steuben County buck. A friend of mine killed him in 2002 right across the road from the farm I mentioned earlier. He had 21 scorable points, grossed 190" / netted 180 1/8" and was the largest deer killed in the state in 2002. I saw this buck 5 times over two years and have over an hour of velvet footage of him during the summer of '02. He was a 135-140" basic 10-pt with kickers as a 3.5 yr. old, meaning that he grew 50-55" in one year. Who knows what he would have scored at 5 or 6? This pic. does the rack no justice...the rack and skull plate weighed nearly 9 lbs. I got a couple of better photos of him that I'll try to post.

Old 08-16-2004, 10:49 PM

who ever heard of any good bucks coming from N.Y.? i really dont think it's posibale

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.