Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 In Pennsylvania is a salt lick permitted >

In Pennsylvania is a salt lick permitted

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

In Pennsylvania is a salt lick permitted

Old 08-15-2004, 07:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default In Pennsylvania is a salt lick permitted

or is considered baiting. I am heading up to camp next week end and dont want to take a chance on getting everyone in the neighborhood shut down, but would like to put out a salt lick...
Old 08-15-2004, 08:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: In Pennsylvania is a salt lick permitted

BAITING, ALL FEED AND LICKS AND RESIDUE MUST BE REMOVED 30 DAYS PRIOR TO OPENING DAY
Old 08-15-2004, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

Cardeer siys it all!

Be very careful if you put any slat licks or mineral blocks out. We had a game warden on opening day of rifle season walk right up to one of our guys and held a rifle on him and order him down from his stand. He arrested him for hunting over bait. We had a mineral block out about 75-100 yds away that we removed from the woods 30 days before the season per game laws. The game warden walked over to where it used to be and scraped the tree stump/soil and took a sample and said there was residue there. WELL OF COURSE THERE WAS RESIDE WHEN IT RAINS IT GETS WASHED INTO THE SOIL AND WILL BE THERE FOR QUITE SOME TIME. Resulted in a fine and 1 year suspension of license. Not to mentioned we had a freind for the next 5 yrs.

You see we are from out of state and I guess 1 of the locals saw this as a way to get us out of the woods. WRONG!
Old 08-15-2004, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: Bowtech9

held a rifle on him and order him down from his stand. [quote]

that is ridiculous! tell ya what, let ANYONE, game warden , cop, whomever point a gun at me for a non-violent offense and guess what: hope theyre quicker than me. to point a gun at someone for (alledgedly) HUNTING OVER BAIT?!?!? what a complete jackass.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

My question though, is what about my mineral pit, where the deer have pawed about 2 feet deep, what is that considered baiting? I guess it is a fuzzy area and would probably have to ask a game warden personally.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:07 AM

Look in the Game book and see what the feet/yards away you have to be, and just go up the trail ( both ways from pit ) find a nice tree... Play the wind....So you can get them when ther come in........ Dang wish I had a pit here... Guess I have to start one.......[8D]
Old 08-16-2004, 06:52 AM

In pa there is no distance you can be from a salt lick or placed mineral lick. If you placed it, you may not hunt near it or "take advantage of it" by covering trails leading to it.

In Pa's hunting manual you will not find any prescribed distance. IF a warden finds you within 3 hundred yards of an artificial lick (removed 30 days but still affecting the soil) and he thinks you are watching deer on trails leading to it you would be fined just as if you had backed up your truck and dumped out a load of corn under your stand.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is what happened to my uncle. We were up for bear season and had the salt lick removed months before archery even opened. He was a few hundred yards away from camp and was arrested because the game warden said there was too much salt content in the dirt and he was sitting on a trail that "lead" to the place where the salt lick used to be. To me, this is a bunch of s#!^. How petty are they gonna get. As soon as a camp has success, it must be because they are poaching[:@]. This is how the wardens think in our area. I thought they were there to help the hunter, not get their jollies off of slapping every one they see with a silly a$$ fine.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never knew game warden's were so active in the woods. Obviously they must spend more time than I would have guessed.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:12 AM
Typical Buck

I have always heard that PA had overzealous wardens but these stories really turn your stomach!

Quick Reply: In Pennsylvania is a salt lick permitted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.