Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 In Pennsylvania is a salt lick permitted >

In Pennsylvania is a salt lick permitted

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

In Pennsylvania is a salt lick permitted

Old 08-16-2004, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: In Pennsylvania is a salt lick permitted

Jeramy, I don't think it's that they spend every waking hour in the woods at our camp. It's just that they know which camps are successfull and tend to target those. Basically they know we harvest bear every year and jump to the conclusion that it must be illegal which really tics me off, so they try and fine us any way they can.

Broadhead88, these stories are nothing. A friend of mine went out squirrel hunting the other year with his .22. As he was getting ready at his tailgate and finished up and started down a trail. He was no more than 30 yards from his truck when a warden stepped out and asked him what he was doing. He informed her that he was going squirrel hunting and she said, not without an orange hat. He was surprised but then realised he forgot to switch hats back at the truck. Needless to say he switched hats and she fined him for not wearing the proper orange. He was upset but still wanted to go hunting. About 50 yards down the trail another warden came walking out of the woods and asked what he was doing. He gave the same speech and the warden asked to see his gun. The warden then informed him that it was illegal to used a "high powered" deer rifle to hunt squirrell. Trying not to laugh my friend informed him that it was a 22 rim fire and not even close to a deer rifle. He then recieved some lip and was sent on his way. Now he was really agitated, but was only greeted by yet another warden farther down the trail. At this point he said f#$% it and went home. 3 wardens in 300 yards has to be some kind of record
Old 08-16-2004, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

I guess w/ my mineral pit there is nothing I can really do about it, it isn't like I can simply remove the salt block or anything. I guess I will maybe shovel some dirt over it w/ a few leaves or just take my chances.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:02 PM

"We had a game warden on opening day of rifle season walk right up to one of our guys and held a rifle on him and order him down from his stand."

So your saying that a Game Warden illegaly brandished a weapon unprovoked.
I don't think so.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

A game warden is well within his or her rights to hold their weapon on someone they are questioning...when that person is also carrying a weapon.

It was the first day of deer season, so I assume that person was carrying a loaded rifle.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:42 AM
Typical Buck

Either way, being a game warden must be a tough job but like the police, there are good and bad ones that do not know their boundaries. Sounds just like the local cops in my area that give you a ticket at 5am for doing 5 miles over the speed limit without even a warning! Yes--i was caught speeding....

My only "problem" in NJ was when I ws mailed a ticket for tresspassing. We used to hunt a farm that ws bordered by a fanatical anti hunter. I was walking back to my truck when I saw the game warden standing at my truck. When I waved to him, he suddenly departed. Needless to say, 1 week later the mail delivered a friendly notice.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Hoopy

So your saying that a Game Warden illegaly brandished a weapon unprovoked.
I don't think so.
You can believe it or not but that is what happened! Would you approach a man that is holding a rifle in the middlew of the woods with the intent to arrest him UNARMED..............if you would you are nuts!
Old 08-17-2004, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've not personally had a bad experience with game wardens. But I do know of a particular gentleman that has become friends with a local warden and now he gets away with breaking all kinds of rules.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:00 AM
Spike

Kyle you might have a problem with your pit. If the deer are digging at the ground to get the minerals then there is sufficient residue to be considered baiting. If the wardens decide you are they can and have in some cases closed the area to all hunting. Like others have said there is no safe distance in pA. from such a site. If they dem that the deer is goin
g to that site even a distance away you can be finerd for baiting.
I am sure your not the only person in Pa that has something like that. But in reality you should have checked into the legality of doing that beforehand.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

Dale/Pa:
You are right, you don't think of the legality of it before you do something as minor as putting out some minerals. The only options I guess I have left is to cover it back up with dirt and maybe put some rocks over it to keep the deer away. I don't really know what to do with it.