Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Cross State Borders? >

Cross State Borders?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Cross State Borders?

Old 06-14-2004, 10:41 PM

Default Cross State Borders?

Just curious as to how many folks within the Northeast region travel to another state within the same region to hunt? Which state provides larger antlered deer on a consistent basis? I'm located in Maryland and know that our Eastern Shore produces some impressive bucks. Does anyone travel to Maryland to hunt and if so from which state in the NE?

MD Piney
Old 06-15-2004, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cross State Borders?

Piney, living only 15 minutes from MD. I hunt MD. every year and spend more days hunting in MD. a year than PA. ( except Last year) I also hunt In OH. and last year I didnt have time to hunt 3 different states so I had to give up one of them, so I gave up MD. This year im giving up PA. and hunting MD & OH.
Until I started hunting in OH. 2 years ago MD. was my favorite state to hunt.
Also MD. is the best big buck state in the north east by far and the eastern shore rivals any other place in North America for huge bucks because of its Mineral rich soil!! Plus very few people hunt in MD.!!! Pike
Old 06-16-2004, 12:23 AM

I grew up in western MD...as far as few people hunting it...well lets just say there were hunters from 14 different states in Savage State Forest for opening day last year for deer rifle. An NRP I know said that when the sun came up last year over the Frederick watershed he counted 17 patches of the "orange army" within 100 yards of his location. I no longer hunt MD due to the government taking the rest of my family land to add to Cunningham Falls State Park. Plus a goofy as the gun laws have gotten in MD..one of the big reasons I left MD for WV. I do travel to Maine every year to bear hunt. Used to hunt PA too but gave that up after HR and AR caused the folks who owned the land I hunted to close it as they did not agree with Alts "vision".
Old 06-16-2004, 07:00 AM

I used to live in PA and hunt in MD, got tired of paying for an out of state licence though, so I just moved to MD..
Old 06-16-2004, 10:13 AM

I live in DE and have traveled to WV for the last 6 years. Not so much that the deer are bigger (haven't found one yet) but more for the trip. Each year family comes from GA, FL and DE to get together for a men only (no wives) hunting trip and each year we have a blast. I've been tempted to hunt in MD and PA but just afford more than one out of state license.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hunt in Delaware, Pa,. New Hamshire, West Va. have hunted in MD a long time ago Bear hunted inv Maine
Old 06-18-2004, 07:14 AM

I do just about all my hunting in WV, the last couple of years have been traveling to IL to bowhunt. When PA started AR I started looking for a place to hunt there. I obtained permission this spring for the upcoming deer season. Really looking forward to it.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:10 PM

I live in NJ, but buy a license each year in NJ, MD, DE and sometimes ME. I hunt most often in MD, followed by NJ.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Plus very few people hunt in MD.!!!
Your kidding right? Md is loaded with hunters, deer and waterfowl alike from boarder to boarder.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

MDbowhunter, NO Im not kidding, You must be kidding right? Compared to here in PA., MD. has very few hunters. But yes, like Tanzian pointed out, MD.'s public land gets hammered, but thats because of the limited amount of public land and the limited amount of private land that is open to hunters. In 2002 MD. had less than 36,000 bowhunters and the total archery harvest was only 19,088 deer despite the fact that MD. had a preseason herd of 296,000 deer in 2002, has a very long bow season, a 2 buck bag limit in a number of zones, unlimited antlerless deer in a number of zones. Now how many of those 36,000 bowhunters do you think are non resident hunters from PA. NJ. etc.? Pike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.