Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Cougar Sighting in Central NY >

Cougar Sighting in Central NY

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Cougar Sighting in Central NY

Old 06-12-2004, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cougar Sighting in Central NY

Any one else hear about this>

I heard that there was a confirmed Cougar sighting in Madison County NY last week, and that DEC was on the scene and verified it.

It seems like if this were true - it would be big news - but I haven't heard much more than the rumor.

Can anyone verify it?????//
Old 06-13-2004, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cougar Sighting in Central NY

Well a few months ago one was spotted a few times in Nothern Bergen County, New Jersey. Local Police and workers from either a UPS or Federal Express warehouse spotted it, the NJF&W came to investigate, but I never heard anything else after that. Typical of either federal or state goverment to keep things on the "QT".
Old 06-14-2004, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

lol--do a seach on this topic and see what u get....
Old 06-28-2004, 10:34 AM
Typical Buck

the reason it wasn't big news was that they didn't want to alarm the public of a big cat around the area. The dec is pretty sneaky when it comes to stuff like this. Probably the cat was intoduced to limit the coyote problem in the area.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lou-lou

the reason it wasn't big news was that they didn't want to alarm the public of a big cat around the area. The dec is pretty sneaky when it comes to stuff like this. Probably the cat was intoduced to limit the coyote problem in the area.
yeah, then when theres too many cougars, they will introduce KODIAK BEARS to limit the cougars.....do you people really...nevermind, it will only fall on deaf ears.
flame away, conspiracy theorists
Old 06-29-2004, 05:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm sure that the DEC would secretly reintroduce an animal as dangerous as a mountain lion with no public hearings.......................................... ........................Come on like I said on the last 5 Mountain lion in NY threads some one post a picture.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:33 PM

I thought at least half of our so called 'black bears' were actually Grizzly bears, either painted black, or genetically altered to grow black hair and that are trained to hunt down any reintroduced lion that as shown himself before a picture can be taken. After all, just as the mountain lion and coyote are mortal enemies so are the grizzly and mountain lion. Of course keeping this secret isn't hard as the media is always willing to cooperate if you just ask them nicely and everyone in the whole world is real good at secrets.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I guess no one else heard the report. I only heard it 2nd hand, but it was from a semi-reliable source - so I was curious.

by the way - I did a search:

http://www.google.com/search?q=couga...n&lr=&ie=UTF-8

if anyone wants to read through it.

- Farm Hunter
Old 06-30-2004, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

Farm hunter, it is plausable that there was a sighting, was it a "wild" cougar, or was it one that some idiot thought would be a "cool" pet and then took it out to turn loose?? Who knows... I can say that they do exist in the NE as I have what I believe to be a male cross my property every year. I have only seen the cat 3 times now and he is moving along so I do not have the time to get pics...but I know what I see. Whether it is an Eastern Cougar, or a pet someone has turned loose to go feral I am not sure. All it does is cross thru my acreage and thats that. The DNR did confirm a cow kill on the top ridge of my acreage as a large cat kill....that was somewhat humbling. LOL This cat just crosses thru the area I think...but I still worry when my son is out playing as a Cougar if they attack is after only one thing....FOOD!!
My guess is it is perhaps the same in your area?? Btw, Cats as a general rule go back to their wild nature more so than a domestic canine will and much faster too. Just a thought....
Old 06-30-2004, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

E X T I R P A T E D....................get it?

Quick Reply: Cougar Sighting in Central NY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.