Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PGC activities

Old 05-15-2004, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default PGC activities

My friend and I were Turkey hunting yesterday and noticed that the road on the SGL was limed. After hunting we went back to do some fishing and as we followed the road to the lake, the entire stretch was limed as well as the 2-3 adjacent fields. As we rounded the bend we heard some heavy equipment and sure enough there was a tractor with a spreader liming a small field and a flatbed with bags of lime and fertilizer on it. We walked up to the guy by the flatbed and asked him what was in the field and what was going on the road. He said that wheat was planted in the field and that Biologic was going to be planted on the road. We had noticed that during deer season last year that the road was widened and an area was clear cut at the end of the road, being optimists we assumed a parking lot was being built but we are now glad to eat a little crow. I belong to a club that borders this SGL and I'm happy with the effort the PGC is making to this area. This area is very hilly and we always say our deer enjoy the finest wood and rocks available. I've also noticed that the 7 mile road in SGL 127 (between Gouldsboro and Tobyhanna) has undergone a lot of selective timbering, so I being that the PGC has taken a lot of heat lately, I give them credit with the effort lately that has gone into managing the SGLs. Hopefully the follow-up is there so this does not turn out to be money wasted.

P.S. There were also about dozen new 6' Apple trees planted and properly fenced. Anyone else seeing this kind of activity?
Old 05-15-2004, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PGC activities

I haven't been to any SGL's lately, but I've seen similar activity in the past. We have a SGL near me (#143) that has some of the best deer habitat I've seen on a SGL. There are ample apple trees, food plots, clearcuts, creek bottoms, harwood ridges, etc. etc. It really is one of the nicest gamelands I've ever hunted.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:55 AM

Hey pa 257,

What SGL are you referring to?? I live on Lehigh Rd in Gouldsboro, near SGL 312 and around the corner from Tobyhanna Rd, between Gouldsboro and Tobyhanna Rd. Where are you seeing the timbering being done?? I know that the Army Depot had done some timbering a few years ago, to clear out a path so they could put up a fence. The road itself, I believe Penn Dot did the clearing around the road. Penn Dot has been clearing out some roads and putting up new guard rails in our area. What SGL did you see them putting down lime and biologic. Was it in 312 or in the Gouldsboro State Park??

T
Old 05-17-2004, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

The timbering was done on the road that connects 423 and the road that runs to the Gouldsboro shooting range. We call it the 7 mile road. It's in SGL 127. The liming was being done in SGL 316 in northern Pike county.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:18 AM

That timbering was just off to the right after 380, on that road. I did not know that was SGL, I thought it was private land but the SGL is accross the road. Last year, one of the bridges washed out and they had to replace it. They put boards side by side and later black top it. Rather interesting way to do it. Maybe, they timbered to pay for the new bridge? That road is 7 miles but the range is only 3, from 380. Sometimes we go swimming there on the Lehigh before that bridge, and of course, hit the range whenever possible, or when the wife let's me.

Thanks for the info about 316. I did go hunting with a friend in Pike County, but not that SGL.

T