Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA may get to hunt 2nd turkey in spring/fall >

PA may get to hunt 2nd turkey in spring/fall

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA may get to hunt 2nd turkey in spring/fall

Old 05-10-2004, 11:34 AM

Default PA may get to hunt 2nd turkey in spring/fall

From the PA Game Commission

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...?Q=161542&A=11

...."The creation of this license will allow Pennsylvania hunters the opportunity to buy a second license for a second turkey in the same season," said Ross, an avid turkey hunter. "If enacted, this will in no way impact hunters' current ability to harvest one spring and one fall turkey as part of their general hunting license privileges.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: PA may get to hunt 2nd turkey in spring/fall

The last thing I heard on the biology of birds in PA was that the experts were waiting for growth trends to materialize based on our recent harsh winters. It seems odd that they're considering a bigger harvest when these trends couldn't have possibly been analyzed yet.

Sounds like a scheme solely to generate revenue than to properly manage the flock.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL that isnt going to help me , cause in order to have a reason to buy a second tag , you have to be able to use the first one....
Old 05-10-2004, 01:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hear ya DL55. I personally don't feel we need anymore pressure in the spring. I'd rather see 2 fall birds with one of them having to be a hen. The spring woods are already too crowded.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

LOL that isnt going to help me , cause in order to have a reason to buy a second tag , you have to be able to use the first one....
"Ain't" that the truth.

I can't shoot one bird and now they want to give me two? Well, I am all for increased opportunities sooooo....
Old 05-11-2004, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

There needs to be some focus on culling some hens....that's all I'm seeing anymore is hens. Flocks and flocks of hens everywhere. I'm not much of a turkey hunter, but everyone around here is having trouble getting birds to gobble and come in. They're all henned up....why go searching for something that you don't have to move for?
Old 05-11-2004, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Getting people shooting hens in PA is 100x worse than getting people to shoot does was. In a lot of areas it is badly needed.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

im gad for it.......second season in the row i tagged out sometime during the first week and couldnt go on me and dads trip to tionesta or anything......kinda bums me out....i know i didnt have to shot them birds....but for my first 2 spring turkeys whose going to pass a 8 3/4 inch beard 3/4 inch spurs for the first one last year and a 9 inch beard 1 inch spurs on my bird this year??? i think them are decint first spring gobblers......when the extra tag is available i think i will be buying it for sure.....and now that i can drive my fall tag isnt very tough to fill......i mean its not easy....but i hunt alot more and found ALOT more turks in the fall......cant wait for that extra tag.......
Old 05-14-2004, 06:09 PM

thet need to get hunters to shoot hens there every were you cant go in the spring woods with out having half the gobblers hened up
Old 05-26-2004, 09:42 PM
Typical Buck

I was just told about this today and had to express my opinion. I personally would not like to see a second turkey tag. I think with all the pressure these birds see now is greater than any other state. PA was rated number one in the amount of turkey hunters believe it or not. I feel that a one bird limit is good in the spring. I feel that it doesn't put as much pressure on them. I feel that if we leave it the way it is a YOUNGSTER may get a chance to harvest one. I feel that people will shoot the first turkey that comes in whether it is a jake or not, because they will think to themselves I still have another tag to wait on a long beard., and that will take a possible jake away from a KID! Just my opinion. My Taxidermist fond where in 1995 70% of pa hunters were against it, and in 1999 another poll was done and it was found that 4 out of 5 turkey hunters were against it again. I found out that the represenative that is pushing for it is a turkey hunter and wants the season extended. I believe that this is just another way for the game commission to get more money. Sorry if this offends anyone. Pat

Quick Reply: PA may get to hunt 2nd turkey in spring/fall

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.