Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 somethins goofy? >

somethins goofy?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

somethins goofy?

Old 04-20-2004, 01:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default somethins goofy?

ok.....saturday....pa opener of trout.....me and dad went to the tionesta area to fish......get there and fish perfect beautiful classic holes for hours.....nothing.....not a bite.....not a fish seen.....same story from everyone else.....then sunday and monday i fish here in beaver county.....pressure is outrageous and most fish are taken out by then.....i caught 9 in the 2 days....only fishing a few hours...and lost atleast 10 or more......now whats up with that? brookies are supposed to be the easiest to catch.....and thats whats up north......then i fish here for highly pressured browns and bows....and caught 9 browns.....and lost many browns and bows.....these fish are 10 times smarter then freshly stocked brookies......i truely dont think they stocked.......but yet they stock little sewer creeks that get hammerd the hole season and dry up in the summer and if any fish make it they die or cant reproduce in the sewage water anyway.....something up.....what do you guys think?
Old 04-20-2004, 02:09 PM

Default RE: somethins goofy?

you should put that on the fishing forum... JMO....
Old 04-20-2004, 08:28 PM

I think what you said about brookies is false. It is for around my area anyways. Around here the ones I fish for anyways, brookies are the smartest. I fish for natives and that is more like hunting I would have to say. You have to be very sneaky and cautious about what you are doing. Anyways I caught 20 brookies on saturday. I also caught some stockies from another creek. I caught 5 stockies. 3 browns and 2 rainbows. Ive fished 3 days since and caught nothing but browns, in fact I was just out tonight and missed a huge brown. Im going back in the morning to see if I can get him to the dry land this time.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

no fish are smart - not compared to mammals anyhow. However - any "wild trout" is heads & shoulders above a stocked fish in the wary dept.

You just cannot stomp up to a stream & regularly catch a"wild fish" like so many opening day guys think. Not even most stocked fish will handle this kind of pressure

By day three - these fish were hungry - especially stocked fish (which you likely caught - if the lower fins are worn - its a stock fish) and the slack in pressure made the difference.

The best thing that ever happend in my section of NY was the Year Round opening of my favorite stream. Opening day crowds went away - and most outsiders think that the stream "must get fished alot" because its open year round - WRONG.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:13 PM
Fork Horn

Problem I think is that in the good streams they toss the trout in a week before the opener and the trout have time to spread out and adapt and the strream can actually support them. In the creeks they toss them in a day or two beforehand and the trout basically stay in the same pools as they have no time to adapt, nowhere else to go and nothing to eat besides. Also check the stocking schedule, I know in new york alot of the quality waters like esopus etc which are a little colder early on don't receive stockies until a few weeks into the season so anyone who goes there on the opener expecting a stockie bonanza on spinners and powerbait and not willing to fish nymphs will be sorely disapointed. Good luck the rest of the season.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

I found similar things over the last few days. Very few fish were caught in the area I was fishing in Pike county on Saturday and Sunday yet when I was down at the shop yesterday I found that more and larger trout were taken from the local Lehigh County waters this year than ever before.

Go figure.