HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   DEC has it figured out!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/57433-dec-has-figured-out.html)

NY Bowhunter 04-04-2004 05:24 PM

RE: DEC has it figured out!!

NYBowhunter - why did you attack so fiercely?? We have had "discussions" in the past and I don't remember you "snapping" like that.

DB- when the guys first words to me in response is this I have 0 tolerance for them.[:@]

NYB I have two words for you "Reading Comprehension".
sorry if you disagree, but he drew first blood. I can comprehend quite well and I fully comprehend all the BS that is spewing from his fingers in this thread. Notice I haven't replied until you addressed me.
The only thing I will say is I laughed for about 30 minutes about his arrogance references. Man that was funny!! Can you define hyprocrite?

Anyway enjoy the debate I know when someone has is all figures out. Ironic the title of the thread isn't it?

CattNY 04-04-2004 05:36 PM

Someone mentioned about nuisance permits. Let me tell you my opinion of the NY nuisance permits. I know someone who received several nuisance permits due to deer problems, then posted the Heck out of their property and now give the permits to only their buddies. I would think, if the DEC was to give out nuisance permits, they should at least have the landowner to unpost their land or provide the "Ask for Permission" sticker. If someone doesn't want to unpost their land, then they shouldn't receive nuisance permits... PERIOD! No Hunting allowed, no special priveleges!

NY Bowhunter 04-04-2004 05:45 PM

OH LORD CATT!! Please don't even get me started on that subject. I would like to hear the justification behind this one though. I agree with you Catt. The whole thought of "nuisance tags" makes me sick to my stomach. Is the DEC really that naive??

Deleted User 04-04-2004 05:54 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Deleted User 04-04-2004 06:30 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

CattNY 04-04-2004 06:51 PM

alloutdoors, thank you for clearing this up for me. I might have had some information incorrect. All I was told by someone was that their In-law owns a 300 acre christmas tree farm. Supposedly, he received 10 or so "nuisance permits". I also know they don't allow anyone to hunt on the property except family members and close friends. I don't know anymore than that. It could be those nuisance permits were really DMAPs. Based on what you described, it sounds like the DEC is going about it correctly and I don't have enough accurate information to report someone to the DEC. Thanks again.

NY Bowhunter 04-04-2004 06:56 PM

Nuisance permits are supposed to be a targeted response to a specific problem. When used properly they can be very useful and provide a needed relief to farmers. As I have said though, if you know of people abusing the system do the right thing and report them.
When used properly?? Could you point out a case where that actually happens?? I KNOW you will probably agree with this statement. This is just a shot in the dark, but I would say at least 80% (conservative) of all nuisance tags are abused and not for the intended purpose. And that is a crying freaking shame. And you know what sucks even more?? People like yourself and others affiliated with the DEC aren't stupid and know that the majority are abused. Yet............ there they are for every Tom, Dick, and Harry to have a little huntin fun on their buddies farm!![:@]

P.s. I've "reported" them until I was blue in the face. Close your eyes and look at where it got me or the hunting community around me!!

Clint. 04-04-2004 07:14 PM

ORIGINAL: alloutdoors

Clint- If you really know someone who is shooting antlered bucks on nuisance permits please do the right thing and turn them in to the authorities. Same thing for the people that are taking several deer on a permit. If someone is misusing permits and they are caught their are consequences. The problem is with the individual in that case, not the system.

Look at it this way, some "hunters" will take more than one deer on a single tag during the normal season. They just keep reusing the same tag, usually by trying to fill it out in pencil or something and then erasing it once they get the deer processed. Obviously this is illeagal, and they aren't hunter's, they are poachers, plain and simple. The same is true if someone tries to do it with the nuisance tags.

And yes hunting deer year round would be a horrible idea. Politicians need to stop trying to dictate managment practices about which they are ill informed.
Look, DEC issues the permits...the last thing I need is some guy picking a fight over turning him in. They issue the permits...they have the officers...let them do the job of policing. If you can't or won't do the enforcement, then don't give the permits!

Clint

Clint. 04-04-2004 07:22 PM

ORIGINAL: alloutdoors

First of all they aren't just given out like candy as some of you seem to think. First the property is checked to determine that there is actual deer damage occuring. Then the owner is asked if they allow hunting. If not chances are not so good for them getting approved. Whether or not the land is posted is not an issue, although I can understand why this bothers you. Really though, as long as the landowner is making a serious effort to control the herd on their property during the regular season it doesn't matter who is hunting it, I don't think you can force someone to open their land up to anybody. Anyway, if they are making a serious effort and are still having deer damage then nuisance permits become an option.

Another thing that happens a lot is a farmer will call and ask for nuisance permits, but after some talking you find out that the reason they are calling is because someone who hunts their land told them to call and request them, because the hunter wants to have his own private little season. This is the reason for the on site visits and in this case they are usually told to go to hell, although not in such harsh terms. Part of the problem is people seeing the nuisance permits as "extended hunting". DEC tries to stress that there is a difference, nuisance tags are not for hunting, they are to solve a problem. BTW, when nuisance permits are given the landowner is supposed to list who their "shooters" are, so if you know of someone who is just handing them out to all his buddies you might want to give a call to your DEC office and have them look into it. Anyhow, the way it is supposed to work is the permits are given, a couple of shooters are assigned, and after a couple of nights of shooting they take care of the problem.

I know some farmers who get nuisance permits year after year and there aren't on-site visits. They call up and get them. They manage to get them even though they couldn't manage to kill a deer with one the previous year. The system needs re-vamping. As it is with every sort of law enforcement that is run by the state of New York, there needs to be more time spent enforcing and less time spent joyriding and sitting in coffee shops. We ain't gettin' our dollar's worth!

Clint

NY Bowhunter 04-04-2004 07:26 PM

Can I just ask 3 simple questions?

1. Do you honestely think hunters in NY should be able to take 7 deer in one season?

2. Do you think "nuisance" tags should be permitted (are they being put to proper use)

3. What do you think the combination of both of these have to do with the deer population (positive or negative)??