Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 South Jersey Monster Buck (PIC) >

South Jersey Monster Buck (PIC)

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

South Jersey Monster Buck (PIC)

Old 01-07-2004, 06:51 AM

Default South Jersey Monster Buck (PIC)

New Jersey Hunters,

Here is proof that there are Trophy Bucks in our State.

This buck was taken on a farm that my hunting partners and I lease and manage for Trophy Bucks. In fact it is the Fifth Buck taken from the property that has qualified for the NJ Record books in the past three years.

The Buck Green Scored at 151 6/8" as a Typical 8 point. Placing it #7 all-time taken by muzleloader.

NOTE: When we acquired the lease for the property the deer herd consisted of mostly does and small bucks with a buck to doe ratio of 10:1. The farmer was frustrated with the damage that the deer were causing to his crops and would basically allow anyone who asked permission to go in and hunt. Provided that they agreed to KILL every Buck they saw. After a little convincing and a small financial payment he agreed to allow myself and my two hunting partners to plant some small food plots and start managing the herd. Most importantly he agreed not to allow anyone else on the property. Since there were so many Does and only small bucks we decided that we would only take does and leave the small bucks alone for a couple of seasons. After the first two seasons we also implemented our own "Earn-aBuck" program so that the mature bucks have a better chance of breeding the does. I am not a Scientist but I believe that our plan worked, we now see fewer deer in the farmers crops and the ratio of bucks to does on the property is more like 4-5:1. The farmer is Happy and so are we.

I guess the moral to the story is that if you spend some time you can grow Trophy Bucks too.

Old 01-07-2004, 07:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: South Jersey Monster Buck (PIC)

dam how did he sneak down from NY?? JK great buck that's a monster for anywhere!! Good job with your QDM that's cool.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:26 AM

That's very inspirational JWK. Thanks for sharing the story and the nice pic. Could you describe for me the size of the farm you hunt, as well as the surrounding properties?

We hunt private ground that is just under 200 acres and we've begun to practice some measures of QDM and the effort is growing among our group. I'm hoping that the ground is dry enough this spring to plant some food plots.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 01-07-2004, 11:36 AM

thats a awesome deer
Old 01-07-2004, 03:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

we now see fewer deer in the farmers crops and the ratio of bucks to does on the property is more like 4-5:1.
Do you mean there are 4-5 Bucks for every doe or is it the other way around, 4-5 does to every buck. If it is indeed 4-5 bucks per doe, well I think you need some help to take a few out .
You all did good with your management of the heard and land, congratulations and that is a awesome buck.
Old 01-07-2004, 03:17 PM

Nice story JWK. It sure seems like a little common sense paid off for all involved. That is one fine lookin keeper!
Old 01-08-2004, 05:58 AM

Jimbo,

The property covers approx 500 acres of which 375 are fields. The property is bordered on the north by a housing development on the south, East and West by paved roads and other private land.

I think that there are a few keys to our success.

1.The biggest is that everyone who hunts on the property understands our QDM program. (Granted it is easy since there are only three of us.) The hardest rule to get everyone to abide by is the "Earn-a-Buck" Rule. On our property we all agree to harvest a doe in each of the four seasons before we harvest a buck.
(This rule was especially painful for me last year during our permit muzzleloader season; I was watching an excellent 8 point buck chasing does in one of the fields on the property. After about 30 minutes the does disappeared in to the woods along the field with the buck in tow. After about 10 minutes or so two of the does burst back into the field and were headed straight for me...the buck was following closely behind. They closed the 500 yards that seperated us in a matter of a couple of minutes and were headed straight for me. I was very excited, as the buck came closer I realized that he was a 1 40 class buck that we had been watching. Then I realized that I had not taken a doe yet with my muzzleloader. When the does stopped at 25 yards I made one of the toughest decisions of my life...I put the crosshairs one the smaller doe of the two and squeezed the trigger, dropping her in her tracks. The buck quickly ran into the woods toward where one of my hunting partners was. I called him on the radio to let him know what was happening and within a few minutes I heard my friend shoot the buck.) The Buck Scored 140 6/8 BOY DID THAT HURT!

2. We have areas of the property that are "Sancuaries", they are areas that are off-limits. This gives the deer on the property a Safe Haven to hide in. On our property we have three such areas, two areas are natural bedding areas and the other is an area that we created.

3. Food Plots v. Bait. We do not bait or use feeders on the property at all. Instead we have planted several food plots that allow the deer to feed naturally. WE NEVER HUNT OVER THE FOOD PLOTS! We want the deer to feel as comfortable as possible on them.

4. KEEP THE PRESSURE OFF. We do not hunt the property more than twice in a week. Since our property is in an area that receives alot of hunting pressure it has attracted bucks from adjacent property when the hunting pressure picks up. In fact two of the five trophy bucks that we have taken so far on the lease were never seen before they were taken.

I hope that this helps.

JWK
Old 01-08-2004, 05:59 AM

mdbohunter,

Yes, I mean 4-5 does for every buck.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:36 PM
Typical Buck

JWK----Thanks for the pic and the story. What zone are you guys in??

We tried something similar on our lease in ZOne 2 which is about 285 acres. However, the surrounding clubs wouldnt go along and we had a local farmer with damge permits. ALso, some older guys in our club basically refused to do QDM and we ended up scrapping the plan on opening day last year.

I agree that NJ has some monsters and all it takes is time and common sense. However, there is A LOT of pressure during our extended JAN season and that takes a huge toll on bucks in our area.

PS
I had a buck in my backyard christmas week that would score 140+, the only problem is that I live in Bergen COunty where you cant hunt. Oh well--fun to look at.

Bob
Old 01-08-2004, 03:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Great buck, great success story!

Quick Reply: South Jersey Monster Buck (PIC)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.