Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Hornell, NY area >

Hornell, NY area

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Hornell, NY area

Old 01-04-2002, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hornell, NY area

I am looking into hunting near Hornell in 2002. This is in Steuben county. Anyone familiar with this area? What's the deer and turkey population like? I would most likely be using my muzzleloader during the shotgun season.

Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks Rob.

Old 01-05-2002, 12:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Hornell, NY area

Rob, Stueben has the highest deer density in the state.They also have a good abundance of Turkey.I don't know the area very well, but you shouldn't have a hard time finding game.Are you going to be hunting on Public or priviate land?
Old 01-05-2002, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's private land. There is a farm which I can "lease" part of it. The owner says they have been practicing QDM since 1996. He only wants mature bucks 8 pt or larger taken. Also encourages taking mature doe. I have never hunted NY before, but am thinking of giving it a try. The hard winter VT, NH, and Maine took last year really put a dent in the deer population. I have hunted all three states, but think it might be better to head south/west for a few years until the heard can rebound a bit.

Just checking to see what others have seen in the area.

Thanks for the reply . . .Rob
Old 01-05-2002, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was born and raised hunting in Steuben county(although my area is a little to the east). Anyway, DO IT. There are very good densities and some nice deer to be found. Many deer harvested are only yearlings, but be patient. Some 2.5 and 3.5 year olds are fairly commonly harvested. A typical 2.5 year old would dress out around 165-175 pounds. 125-135 class deer are possible in that age group. The largest I ever saw was a 10 point, 198 lb. dressed 3.5 year old scoring in the low 150s. Very nice deer.The weather is usually milder in winter too so winter mortality is not often a major issue.
Old 01-06-2002, 06:19 PM
Typical Buck

years ago i used to hunt in the town of howard,its a little north east of hornel.it was good then and still is.a very good deer & turkey population.i don't think you will regret going there.
Old 01-07-2002, 10:15 AM
Spike

Steuben county is tops in my book. This is a pic of the buck I got in the 2000 season.
Saw 2 that were even bigger during the bow season this year on the same propery I hunt near Bath, NY. Unfortunately, I only got to hunt for 3 hours during the gun season as I got shot in the back on opening day with a 12 gauge slug. http://outdoortrail.com/deer/newyork/picsnewyork.htm
Old 01-07-2002, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

So was this on public or state land which you got shot?

Is blaze orange required in NY for firearm season?
Old 01-08-2002, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

I hunted near Almond a few yrs back and used to hunt near Binghamton when I was a school. These are all great areas but it would seem that if you can join a lease then do it as the locals do hammer most of the properties.

QDM has been on going in Steuben and Allegheny counties for several yrs now and the results are begining to show.

Also, blaze orange is NOT required for some strange reason in NYS.