Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 HEY DE BOW HUNTERS >

HEY DE BOW HUNTERS

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

HEY DE BOW HUNTERS

Old 01-10-2004, 05:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: HEY DE BOW HUNTERS

You guys have been screaming for cold weather, well you got it .....
Old 01-11-2004, 05:44 AM

Beggig for cold? Yes...but this is crazy!!!! Actually, with my new set of Cabela's wool its been quite comfortable! Hope it lasts!
Old 01-11-2004, 08:39 AM

I went goose hunting yesterday. Damn it was cold! Any exposed skin was freezing in minutes. Had to pound holes for the silouettes using a stake and a sledge hammer. The ground was frozen at least 3 inches deep! Never shot the gun. [:'(]

I did take the opportunity to dump 100 lbs of corn at the leased place. The fossilized deer tracks in the frozen ground were numerous and impressive. I was pleasantly suprised. The question is, when are they moving through? Im thinking 1 hour after sunset - 1 hour before sunrise. But, its cold and they have to eat. They scraped the ground where the last corn piles were over an inch deep looking for old kernals so I'm sure they'll be pleasantly suprised to see some fresh food out there for them. I hope they come by next weekend when Im perched either in my stand or hidden on the ground. Havent made up my mind whether I'll take the Bow or Gun yet. We'll see how many other people are out. If its crowded, I dont like to hunt with the bow just in case I dont drop the deer within a short distance. The gun hunters that crowd on either side of our place wouldnt think twice about shooting my already arrowed deer and claiming it as their own. [:@] The crap you have to deal with now a days!

Good luck to anyone venturing out this week. Stay warm!
Old 01-11-2004, 04:31 PM

THAT IS WHY I ONLY archery hunt. if i had a gun..they would probably have to jail me...i would cap someone in a minute...a hot minute. i will keep to the mathews and the muzzys. i have thought of smoke pole'in it, but i will wait until next season. i friend of mine always is talking black powder and has sparked my interest. he told me that u can shoot out to 200yds with the modern guns. nice they also seem easier to load(powder-caps).

i havent been out guys, but i will be there wednesday for a most of the day hunt. i think that they are moving, but not far from the bedding area. i do not think that during the light hours they are holding tight all day. they have to move a few times and i think they are coming to the edges and then right back in the cover....hey, what do i know though...i still have all of my tags
Old 01-12-2004, 06:02 PM

Was out last wensday and thursday and it was cold. Hunted the edge of a marsh (public land). Had 2 does come out of the frags about 4pm about 80yrds. They circled the wooded area downwind of my decoy, which was about thirty yrds on a 45 degree angle up wind of my hidding place, wind was about 20 mph. They stood in the marsh with their noses in the air for a good ten minutes just checking the wind. I have a tail wagger on my decoy so they caught the motion which is what got their attention in the first place. Thought they would continue in to check the decoy out. Nope ,They continued to circle and watch the decoy and every step they took, they stopped put their nose in the air and had those ears working. Got downwind of my position, about sixty yrds out and froze. I took a shower in scent killing soap, cloths hanging outside all season, scentblocker head to toe, and dressing in the field, and they still knew. Well they went back into the march. I watched them walk around in the march and meet up with some other deer. Then about 8 total came and the same exact thing happened again except for the big doe in the front stood their even longer starring right at me from about 60yards out downwind. Had my 3d asat suit on and did not even flinch. Well they went back in to the marsh. First time i ever saw that many deer on public land at one time. I was the onlu one in the woods, didnt get anything but still had a good time. Amazing, the power of that nose, And that was with 20mph wind at 60yrds or more. Went back to the same area the next evening, with out the decoy, and the didnt come out there but i had one come in behind me but couldnt get a shot. Would have been out on this past cold week end but had to work. They r there but diffently spooked, cant wait till next season already.