Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

hunter orange

Old 11-16-2003, 07:36 PM

Default hunter orange

Just in case you havent heard starting next year you will be required to wear blaze orange during gun season(deer) in New York state there is an article on it in this months New York game and fish magazine.What it comes down to is at least a a piece of clothing that can be seen in a 360 degree raduis.It has to be above the waist.(vest,coat,hat)

Dave Baird
Old 11-17-2003, 06:01 AM

Default RE: hunter orange

I wear a orange vest that I put on over my cameo. I wear this going into my stand, or walking through the woods, or anythime I go hunting, even muzzleloading. It also has my tags on it so every time I go hunting, I have to put it on. The deer don' t mind and other hunter can see me.

Tomster
Old 11-18-2003, 08:52 PM

Its really not all that bad. I live up here in maine whare you need two articles of orange. One peice must cover the torso and the other must be a hat. Plenty of deer are still taken it dont have any affect.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:48 AM

im also from maine and andy o is correct it dont bother the deer at all i took a nice doe this year walking right at me she was about 40 yds out when i shot her. so lets al be safe and wear the orange. even if your state dosnt require it .please dont become a statistic .....

Old 11-20-2003, 05:31 PM

I live in New Hampshire, where hunter orange is a recomendation, but I always wear it during rifle season and still see plenty of deer, it doesn' t seem to affect them too much, and if it helps me to stay alive, I have no problem with it.
It is a shame that it is needed at all, humans look nothing like deer to me, and if I can' t see something, I won' t shoot, plain and simple. Seems like there are too many idiots out there that will shoot at the first sound they hear, and find out later what it was.
Just my 2 cents,
Mike
Old 11-20-2003, 06:24 PM

I had a similar situation like Spiegel. last year opening morning I had a buck walk by my stand perhaps 45 minutes before light, Now I must be honest that I was not the quietest guy in the woods that moning since I still needed to hoist my rifle up to my stand. That deer was still there 3o minutes after it got light out and he kept looking up at me. It was nasty in the fact that the buck was not of legal size. But oh well it was great to watch this animal for that period of time. Well anyway GOOD LUCK to you all this year.[8D]
Old 11-20-2003, 08:03 PM

Speaking of idiots in the woods, in ' 88 my second year of hunting i had a orange, very bright, hat and vest on. i was down in a softwood section of woods below my parents house, sitting under a hemlock tree, now mind you i was in plain view, someone shot and the next thing i heard was splat, i looked up and saw a hole in the tree about four feet above my head. scared the ever lovin sheet right out of me. Here in vt orange isnt required but reccomended. Now maybe its because of getting shot at, that i have this thing with orange, when hunting now im about 98% mossyoak and two % orange. i wear a orange hat and an orange neck tie(it looks like half a bandanna), I realize that makes it easier for me to become a statistic but i have this fear of being shot at, , not that i' m any different then anybody else, NOBODY likes getting shot at!!!! Dont get me wrong i still feel that people are safer wearing it but after the experience i had, I wear my hat and scarf. but unless I get lucky enough to be able to hunt in another state or until vt makes it law that its required in some fassion i prefer to stay cammo' ed up. Be safe- good luck to all..
Old 11-20-2003, 08:31 PM

PA requires 250 square inches of orange, viewable from 360 degrees, except when in your stand in archery, and I don' t see wut difference it makes because I' ve always heard that deer are color blind, so it' s braking up your outline that I think people should worry about rather than being seen by a color-blind animal, because it' s better safe than sorry.
Old 11-22-2003, 02:15 PM
Spike

We have to wear it in New Jersey for shotgun and muzzleloader and we keep killing more deer every year. for gun season it doesn' t matter..It may save you from getting shot yourself.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:12 PM
Typical Buck

I did hear about the orange did anybody hear if they are going to let us use rifles in the southern zone next year ? I heard rumors but then again I heard the same thing last year

Quick Reply: hunter orange

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.