Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Where's all the PA hunters? >

Where's all the PA hunters?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Where's all the PA hunters?

Old 12-13-2021, 12:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
. Been a long while since I didn't fill at least one PA tag. This might be the year.
-Jake.
Same here Jake.I bet its been over 30 years since I've been skunked! I still have the flintlock season though so I'm not giving up yet.
Old 12-13-2021, 06:03 PM
Typical Buck

Same here didn't see a deer all season. I'm praying I at least see something during our late ML season
Old 01-27-2022, 11:39 AM
Typical Buck

i think another reason there arent as many hunters is the amount of posted land. a lot of ground that used to be open to hunting is now leased and posted. at least that is what its like in my area. myself, i blame it on antler restriction being in place. too many people want big bucks and by leasing ground keeps other hunters off. no one to walk and push deer anymore.
Old 01-27-2022, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

You're spot on slim. Everything is posted.

We used to have permission to hunt allot of properties that are now posted.

A few things happened in my opinion. #1 being the owners passed away, sold off, retired, whatever it may be. When the younger generation took over the posted signs went up.

And the leases are starting. If it follows the Ohio trend everything will be leased before long. I don't blame the owners. If you can make a couple grand a year letting people hunt- why do it for free?

-Jake
Old 02-02-2022, 03:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

my boss owns around 5400 acres here in wv, he leases the hunting land out for 10 bucks and acre and there is a waiting list a mile long.
Old 02-02-2022, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

How about $500 for a week on 6 acres? That's Ohio.

I'll find another hobby.

-Jake
Old 02-02-2022, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
my boss owns around 5400 acres here in wv, he leases the hunting land out for 10 bucks and acre and there is a waiting list a mile long.
Does he split it up into smaller sections? That seems like allot of work to keep track of.

But that's bringing in allot of money for him each year. Again, I've said it a hundred times. I don't blame the owners one bit. People are willing to pay. Might as well make money.

It's just out of price range lol
-Jake
Old 06-09-2022, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I used to be a PA hunter, per my user name. I hunted in the eastern areas of the state. I'm in California now, and I miss white tails and eastern gobblers. But there are some great opportunities out here, and some big mountains. I'm going to try and get out to PA next spring for turkey hunting. Hopefully my old spots are still productive. I want to try and get out there for deer this year, but that's my busy time of year at work.
Old 06-10-2022, 08:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Mr. Slim
i think another reason there arent as many hunters is the amount of posted land. a lot of ground that used to be open to hunting is now leased and posted. at least that is what its like in my area. myself, i blame it on antler restriction being in place. too many people want big bucks and by leasing ground keeps other hunters off. no one to walk and push deer anymore.
In PA we have thousands of acres to hunt. We have national forests, state forests, and lots of game lands with more being purchased every year. In addition there are many state parks that are open, at least partially, to hunting. I hunt exclusively public land and last year was the first year in about 30 years that I didn't fill at least one tag.
Also, Oldtimr's post was accurate as many guys walk right by deer and don't see them. My friend was out checking for stand sites on his ATV the other day and driving down the old strip mine road with a bank on one side and a narrow 20' wide strip of woods between the road and the RR tracks he drove past a big doe lying in that strip of woods and it just watched him drive by! Probably had a fawn or two close by but still it just goes to show you how still they can be. Several years ago I was walking a trail that made a horse shoe turn going down a hill. I looked to my right and saw a color that was out of the norm. I stood there for several minutes watching it and it turned out to be a bedded 8 point buck. I saw the rack when it lifted his head to scratch an itch. I walked by that buck at no more than 50 feet but he was lying at the foot of a drop off where I couldn't see him from above. one well placed bullet from my 7-08 and he never left his bed.

Last edited by bronko22000; 06-10-2022 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-17-2022, 05:18 AM
Spike

Anyone looking to help a new to PA hunter as a hunting partner this year. I just got my Lic for hunt and fish and looking for good time hunting/fishing/shooting/ meat in the freezer makes me happy, Inline .50 Muzzel, 3006, Armalite223/22, .357 Hand hunting, crossbow, of course 12guage Fowls. I also reload and have a bunch of 40 cases if anyone needs them. I don't have alot of stamina anymore, but would love the chance to hunt again. I am just busy with my move here( still getting house in order)to the northeast from Colorado. May Biden's shorts burn when he speaks.
Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.