Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Aspiring SE (5b, 5c, 4c) PA hunter seeking advice from more experienced PA hunters >

Aspiring SE (5b, 5c, 4c) PA hunter seeking advice from more experienced PA hunters

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Aspiring SE (5b, 5c, 4c) PA hunter seeking advice from more experienced PA hunters

Old 04-18-2020, 04:08 AM
Spike

Default Aspiring SE (5b, 5c, 4c) PA hunter seeking advice from more experienced PA hunters

Long story short, near the end of last year, I decided that I wanted to take up hunting. I've been reading everything I can online, watching a lot of YouTube videos and figure that I'm at the point where I should start scouting and get acquainted with the land where I will be hunting. I'm using the PA gaming commission site (I can't post a link because I don't have 10 posts yet) to find public grounds. I've been focusing on (presumably free) public grounds over leasing options mainly due to budget issues. I'm focused mainly on deer, but would be interested in having a go at elk at some point, if that is viable in this area.

I'm in Chester County, possibly sadly, as it seems that the grounds here are more sparse compared to other areas of the state. I am willing to travel a little for better hunting grounds, but whatever I do would have to be a day trip regardless (so, anything more than an hour commute is pushing it). I think this puts me at 5B, 5C, and 4C for options.

My rationale currently (and I could be wrong, so correct me if I am) is that I should pick an area and get to know that particular area well. While I'm an experienced hiker, I'm new to the area (just moved to PA a couple years ago and haven't really explored nature much). So, I'm not sure where I should focus. Nearish me it appears I have in descending order of acreage Blue Marsh Lake (around 8300ac with an adjoining area), 046 (6200ac), and 156 (5200ac). However, I'm also seeing a ton of "dots" in the area and even closer called Hunter Access Cooperators. Not exactly sure what that means, but my impression is that these are grounds where I could hunt as long as I give the landowner a heads up. These areas are much smaller, but there are quite of few of them and they are much closer (I'm in Exton/West Chester if that helps).

I'm aiming for somewhere that's less busy and with more deer, obviously. There are tons of people in this part of the state (the most urban place I've ever lived), but I figure that being so urban, there's probably proportionately fewer hunters. This is what has me thinking that more acreage is better (as then less chance maybe of another hunter and I getting in each other's way, right?). But the Hunter Access Cooperator spots could still be viable because there are so many of them.

This is pretty much as far as I've gotten. In short, I am just looking for some guidance on choosing hunting grounds in this area. Any tips are appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-18-2020, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ok I'll fill-in a little info her for you
first off, there are NO Elk in your area, the only elk in PA are up in the northwest portion of the state more or less!
to even get a ATG to hunt them is pretty hard to do and works off botha points system and a lottery type drawing of a few tags every yr, you have to put in for to even be in the draw, and adds are low on winning, but someone wins every yr, so never know?

Now as for the RED dots and the Hunter Access Cooperators, that is new to me, but I am gathering its just a newer name for co op lands where land owners work with the state game dept to allow SOME hunters on there lands to help them get rid of un wanted game that is causing damages to there crops or , just wish to have hunters on there lands

so yes, access is typically based on asking for permission first and , some times its limited to "X" amount of hunters per day!

NOW< some other food for thought, , being where your at, the SE part pf PA< is a honestly a rather heavily hunted area, and a lot of it is due to lots of lands that YRS ago were open to free access, have long since been closed, so this tends to drive a LARGE amount of hunters into state game lands
so, be aware that come opening day of deer season, them NOW empty lands will be VERY crowded with hunters in MOST places!, then add in many of the SE game lands fall into the special regulations rules, which are different than the rest of the state
which can be different season dates, ONLY allow shot guns and NOT rifles, and other things, so you have to read your hunter rule book closely pending where in SE PA you are planning to hunt

NEXT< the larger the game lands, can help spread out hunters, but just cause a game land is larger doesn't mean there is more game on it, or game every where on it
the quality of the land more or less dictates IF animals will be there
there has to be a reason for deer to be someplace

a barren section of forest with no food water or cover, is not where deer like to be, NOR experienced hunters

experienced hunters tend to know what deer like, FOOD< SAFETY /cover, and water

so, when you find game lands that offer this, these area's wil most likely be the most crowded sections come deer season

so when your out and looking for a place to hunt, and scouting for deer sign, you also should be looking for HUMAN sign, that hunters are using the spot,
things like piled up branches/home made deer blinds, sign's of tree's having markings from hunters using climbing tree stands, or some sort of reflective tape or markings on tress, hunters are using to find there way in, in the dark or just in and out of THERE spots they like to sit!
this is one of the hardest parts of hunting PUBLIC lands
you can go NOW and find some GREAT spots, BUT come opening day, of deer season, you might come to find a TON of hunters in the same spots you found, and NOT all people are courteous
some like confrontation, some like to sit next to you, some will move a short distance, and some will move off and else where
you never know,
but few GREAT spots in pa, don't have hunters showing up, in MY experience on game lands,

BUT this doesn't mean its not possible to hunt there
smarter hunters learn to use these hunters to there advantage,
they plan/expect certain areas to get lots of hunters and will then, find places farther away, or thicker cover areas, they expect deer to RUN to, when all the hunters show up
, meaning they per plan things and set up where they expect deer to get chased to, rather than just picking spots based on deer sign alone!

PA< doesn't have as many hunters as it used to, but game lands still get pretty crowded come opening day of gun season
this is why so many hunters went to bow/archery hunting, less crowded game lands!

an hour to an hour and half of West Chester(I know the area rather well, have friends that live in West Chester)
can find you some very good places to hunt
and never forget, that many hunters find access to GOOD private lands, by simply, stopping and asking land owners for it!
friends, family, co workers, are all great people to ASK< if they know anyone with land they let hunters on!, never know till you ask!
as they say!

private lands, don't mean better hunting, but it can many times, at least let you know WHO and when , others will show up
where on game lands,
any idiot can walk in on you at at time!
so there are perks to having private land access if you can find it!

​​​​​​​

Last edited by mrbb; 04-18-2020 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

OH< and I know you are new, but if you FIND a good game land and or place, and POST pictures of it on a OPEN forum, your basically inviting a lot more folks to show up there and possibly RUIN a good spot
I wouldn;t suggest posting info on places you find, without doing your best to keep exact locations hidden!
just a heads up LOL
Old 04-18-2020, 11:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Kneller
Long story short, near the end of last year, I decided that I wanted to take up hunting. I've been reading everything I can online, watching a lot of YouTube videos and figure that I'm at the point where I should start scouting and get acquainted with the land where I will be hunting. I'm using the PA gaming commission site (I can't post a link because I don't have 10 posts yet) to find public grounds. I've been focusing on (presumably free) public grounds over leasing options mainly due to budget issues. I'm focused mainly on deer, but would be interested in having a go at elk at some point, if that is viable in this area.

I'm in Chester County, possibly sadly, as it seems that the grounds here are more sparse compared to other areas of the state. I am willing to travel a little for better hunting grounds, but whatever I do would have to be a day trip regardless (so, anything more than an hour commute is pushing it). I think this puts me at 5B, 5C, and 4C for options.

My rationale currently (and I could be wrong, so correct me if I am) is that I should pick an area and get to know that particular area well. While I'm an experienced hiker, I'm new to the area (just moved to PA a couple years ago and haven't really explored nature much). So, I'm not sure where I should focus. Nearish me it appears I have in descending order of acreage Blue Marsh Lake (around 8300ac with an adjoining area), 046 (6200ac), and 156 (5200ac). However, I'm also seeing a ton of "dots" in the area and even closer called Hunter Access Cooperators. Not exactly sure what that means, but my impression is that these are grounds where I could hunt as long as I give the landowner a heads up. These areas are much smaller, but there are quite of few of them and they are much closer (I'm in Exton/West Chester if that helps).

I'm aiming for somewhere that's less busy and with more deer, obviously. There are tons of people in this part of the state (the most urban place I've ever lived), but I figure that being so urban, there's probably proportionately fewer hunters. This is what has me thinking that more acreage is better (as then less chance maybe of another hunter and I getting in each other's way, right?). But the Hunter Access Cooperator spots could still be viable because there are so many of them.

This is pretty much as far as I've gotten. In short, I am just looking for some guidance on choosing hunting grounds in this area. Any tips are appreciated. Thanks!

I answered your PM.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:37 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by mrbb
OH< and I know you are new, but if you FIND a good game land and or place, and POST pictures of it on a OPEN forum, your basically inviting a lot more folks to show up there and possibly RUIN a good spot
I wouldn;t suggest posting info on places you find, without doing your best to keep exact locations hidden!
just a heads up LOL
I think that's the real catch-22 here. Everything I've read so far talks about how hunters are a dying breed and those that are left are looking to bring in new blood. There are even some organizations based around this. However, more hunters mean more competition for good spots and game. So, hunters want more hunters, just nowhere near themselves. I figured it was even a dice roll to ask about this on a public forum because (for fair reason) nobody wants to share their hunting spots.

Thank you for telling me about the elk situation. I suspected it was going to be more NW towards Allegheny, but I didn't know that the competition for elk tags was so stiff. My rationale was that I'm only hunting for meat and an elk would have a greater return than a deer (and I've always wanted to try elk). I may still go for the lottery and just take some serious time off work if I ever win.

I am open to traveling a bit further if the situation is significantly better. Additionally, my wife and I are house hunting in the Reading/Birdsboro area (we're in Exton/West Chester now), which would let me shift my radius in a better direction, I expect. It seems like the further west or north I can go, the better it gets.

The private lands thing does seem like, while there's more legwork, there's probably also more reward. I'm expecting/planning to knock on some doors and introduce myself. Worst thing they can do is say no.

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I answered your PM.
I did read it and it was very helpful. Thanks for responding so quick.