Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Hunting public land in WV? >

Hunting public land in WV?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Hunting public land in WV?

Old 09-23-2019, 06:50 PM
Spike

Default Hunting public land in WV?

Hey there! I’ve hunted private land all my life in kanawha county, WV. What’s the best way to get into hunting public land? Go out and scout mainly, find areas?
Old 09-23-2019, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Your state website probably has maps that you can download. Use those, combined with Google Earth to get an idea of what you're looking at.

Then boots on the ground until you find some spots that you like.

Allot of people complain about or even refuse to hunt public land.. And it certainly has its challenges.

But I look at it as an opportunity. I don't have the money to own or lease tens of thousands of acres. But by accessing public land it gives me room to stretch my legs.

Personally I'd rather hunt and explore all season on large chunks of public land and get nothing. Than to have a guaranteed spot on 5 acres of private where I was stuck in one stand or blind.

Thankfully I have a little mixture of both available to me.

-Jake

​​
Old 09-24-2019, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

talk to local wardens in area's you have interest, ask them questions on pressure in area's
as JUST scouting NOW and finding a place, doesn't mean come rifle or bow season them spots won';t be taken by other hunters
its maybe the #1 complaint from hunters, they find a good spot and show up to hunt it and so does a few others, if you follow!

so asking a local warden about pressures, can help you find places with lower chances of other hunters being there, or at least give you a heads up they might
its why many say, the farther from the read you go, the better hunting can be o n public lands, as most hunters don;'t walk that far from there vehicles!