Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
surviving the wind >

surviving the wind

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

surviving the wind

Old 02-25-2019, 02:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default surviving the wind

did everyone survive the wild winds that blew through yesterday and last night? here in southern Indiana County, Pa. we had quite a bit of trees and powerlines down. my neighbor's carport that sat in front of his mobile home is now sitting between our two houses. must have blew about 50 feet before stopping. did some damage to his house. pulled powerlines down along with smashing his small porch. good thing his truck wasnt under it when it took off.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am still having the winds here, lots of smaller branches down all over, will have a lot of clean up to do on the property! come spring time as once this clears out , till all the mud dry's
I ain't making a bigger mess for some small branches LOL
Old 02-25-2019, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Lost a piece of siding off my house. Gonna walk the neighbors field and wood edge tomorrow hoping I can find it

-Jake
Old 02-26-2019, 01:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Blew harder than I can ever remember all yesterday and through the night. The house creaked and groaned. The visibility was almost zero with wind driven snow coming off the lake. I imagine the gusts were around 60 MPH. It blew the tarp covering my fishing boat to tatters. The family boat is all set and inside a barn. Never lost my power knock on wood.....
Old 02-26-2019, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

I never did find my siding. Lots of big trees down in the woods.

Thankful nothing close to the house fell. Gonna have to buy a piece of siding I guess.
​​​​​​That wind knocked my grill over and bent it up. Blew the kids slide across the yard.

It was serious wind. Sounded like a train going by the house. I worked all night and thankfully had no serious calls to deal with. I wasn't in a hurry to get out of the cruiser with the wind blowing like that.

-Jake
Old 02-27-2019, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I went to the range with my 22 rimfire BSA Mark II International single shot rifle, with a Vortex PST 5-25x mounted on top. I did not want to miss that day in the world, for wind doping rounds @ 100 yards; at a small steel target from the bench.
Though I forgot to bring my Kestrel electronic wind meter.

I had to dodge rolling plastic trash cans on the range. One guy has his extended bipod naked AR blow off the shooting table an onto the concrete pad. And the furniture wood framed target he had...snapped in two near the feet during a 50 mph wind gust. He also had his spotting scope blow off the bench.

I've found that a cased AR or some similar cased rifle, has a good chance of blowing off the shooting bench when the wind reaches 17 mph.

A tree trimmer suffered serious injuries, when a large tree fell on him yesterday in Harford County, Maryland.

My brother had a large tree limb fall on his property.

Last edited by Erno86; 02-27-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:38 AM
Typical Buck

here in ohio lot's of people in ne oh lost power thankfully i did'nt normally i do. losts of big branches on the ground. checked out my hunting area & i will be out saturday cutting up blown over trees.and i mean alot. blocking trails & area's around my treestand.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was up at the range yesterday...and I heard an saw a fairly big tree fall, behind the backstop berm of the pistol range. I noticed that near the end of the big windstorm... two peak gusts (50mph +) happened at that time, which possibly stressed some trees to the breaking point; where only a small nudge on the tree would be enough to topple them over.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

A section of woods that I like to still hunt in Pennsylvania is full of old pine trees. Many of which have become what I call widow Makers. They're broken off up top, leaving on other trees, etc. Many of the pines are fallen on the ground as well. It's a mess to walk through.

I haven't been into that woods since the windstorm. But I would have to guess it's a mess currently.

The deer really like to bed in that stuff when they're pressured though. It's almost always a productive spot to at least see doe

-Jake
Old 03-04-2019, 06:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wow that must have been pretty nasty reading all these posts. I'm sure glad I was down here in FL. Me and my 2 labs were swimming in the pool yesterday and then they both got baths.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.