Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Pa. Sunday Hunting >

Pa. Sunday Hunting

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pa. Sunday Hunting

Old 03-31-2017, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default Pa. Sunday Hunting

Do you think if those of us who want Sunday hunting in Pa. Approved we could go block off a highway or riot and they would pay attention.
It seems to work for everything else people want done?
Old 04-02-2017, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

good luck with that
Old 04-03-2017, 06:24 PM
Typical Buck

If you want to urn people against you go ahead. The only true way to get it passed is to disprove all that is being said for keeping the restriction. Took about 20 years to get it done here in Virginia. Finally one man took it on and got it organized and went at it? Matt O'brian was the man who was the catalyst to finally get it done.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:34 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mounting man
Do you think if those of us who want Sunday hunting in Pa. Approved we could go block off a highway or riot and they would pay attention.
It seems to work for everything else people want done?
I would ALMOST resort to this, if it brought Sunday hunting to PA (and please don't tell me about crows and coyotes, heard all that before ). But like vapahunter has said, just keep hammering away with the petitions and writing your congress people, eventually this wall is going to come down.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Petitions do nothing but go in the trash. If you ever took a good look at a petition you would see many names all in the same handwriting, because of this kind of thing, they carry no weight. Many people have their names on petitions who didn't know they were there and never signed the petition. We don't have a Congress in the states but PA has a general assembly, they are the people to write to or talk to personally. Go to the ones in your district then to the ones on the fish and game committee. A bill concerning hunting must be passed in the fish and game committee before it ever gets to the floor for a vote.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:48 PM
Spike

Many years ago I was opposed top Sunday hunting. My feeling was if you love something enough you find time to do it. I split vacation time and weekends between family time and hunting and I always had a good time and occasionally harvested something. No one in my immediate family hunts so it was usually me and a friend or two but we almost always had a good time.
Now, flash forward 30 years and my opinion has changed. Since you can do almost anything else on Sundays from shopping, sports, eating out, fishing etc... why not allow hunting? Personally I probably still wouldn't hunt and probably wouldn't allow hunting on my property on Sundays but that's my choice since I own the land. I hunt archery, rifle and muzzleloader and I hunt in many different states as now that the kids are grown and I have more time I do what I love and my wife's ok with it. Most states I hunt in allow Sunday hunting as well as baiting (private property). I typically hunt Public land and most always DIY, no baiting and no Sundays as most states which I hunt only allow Sunday hunting on private property. I don't much care for hunting over bait (piles of feed or feeders), I'm ok with food plots, fields or orchards.
I would like to see PA pass Sunday hunting and have the PGC allow hunting on both private and public land, individuals and agencies could decide if they would allow their property to be open to hunting. Sunday hunting could be regulated by species and weapon and could be changed yearly by PGC as dictated by science and studies (no laughing please), I believe the PGC does an ok job. My recommendations are as follows and let me clarify again I hunt archery, rifle and muzzleloader but love archery most of all.
Suggestions based on deer (because it seems to be most peoples biggest concern.
Archery: NO Sunday hunting, sorry, we already get 6 weeks (6 Saturdays).
Early Muzzleloader: Allow Sunday hunting on 2nd Sunday when Jr's and Sr's can use a rifle.
Rifle: Keep traditional Monday opener and let people hunt both Sundays ending the season on 2nd Sunday.
Turkey: Let PGC set dates since areas vary throughout the State
Bear: Probably don't need Sundays since there aren't as many hunters and the PGC is always adjusting and adding dates.
Small game: Let PGC dictate
With my suggestions what are we talking, about 6 Sundays? What's the big deal? As for non hunters using public land for activities other than hunting, I believe most will choose to stay away during hunting days. But if they want to be on property during hunting, just make sure they're aware that hunting is in and they should wear the appropritley colored clothing (florescent something). I believe most hunters are aware of their target and what's beyond prior to shooting, it's one of the first things we learn when learning to hunt.
Thanks for listening (taking the time to read).
Discussion and opinions welcome.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:18 PM
Typical Buck

Find out the reasons the opposition does not want to allow Sunday hunting. Then reply with a ditinct fact based reason that the reason is not valid. You are going to have to address politicians, religious groups, other outdoor groups, equestrian groups and even animal rights groups. You must have reasonable and calm responses that can be repeated by every person who supports your issue. You will need to write comments in every paper that has an article on the subject. You also need an organization that will coordinate all this and also be willing to stand up in General Assembly sessions where votes are being takem. It will take huge amounts of work and some money to get it passed.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default No Sunday Hunting

I wouldn't complain too loudly if I didn't own land in PA. Sunday hunting would mean Sunday hunting in rifle season as well as the weeks for archery hunting. It would mean some 550,000 hunters for Saturday, some 400,000 on Sunday, every hunting weekend. Miss a Sunday, and somebody will nail that big buck on Sunday.

Then private land would change. People would now come for the long weekend. More land would be leased to people from New York City, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Pittsburgh, and Ohio. Less free land for locals.

Sunday hunting for many people, including those that don't live nearby. Local land for those other than locals, with Sunday and Saturday hunting. Probably could add another 100,000 non local hunters to the weekend list.

Last edited by Valentine; 04-06-2017 at 04:58 AM.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:13 AM
Spike

Passing Sunday hunting in PA doesn't mean every Sunday, PGC would decide. Look at MD they have limited hunting based on weapons and species, the problem I see with their state is it's on private land only which I don't feel is fair to those folks who don't have private property or are not part of a lease. Either way, no problem for me, I own my own land in PA, I'm just thinking back to when I didn't own my own land. As for lease land, I hate to say if you can afford it go for it, I'm jealous! I've already told my friends who hunt my property that if enough money was put in front of me I'd be glad to sell out and lease my land then I'd hunt public...it's the way I grew up and always did pretty good.....do your homework.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:59 PM
Typical Buck

It is only permitted on private land with some restrictions here in Virginia. So far there have been no problems cited because of it. There are currently some who want to push for it on public land and I would support that change. Those who want the change to public land do not seem to want it bad enough to do the work necessary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.