Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Hello.  Need Advice >

Hello. Need Advice

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Hello. Need Advice

Old 09-18-2016, 02:29 PM
Spike

Default Hello. Need Advice

Hello all. My name is Vince and I live in Northeast Pennsylvania. My son is 11 years old this year and I want to get him hunting. He actually asked me to take him. The thing is, I've never been much of a hunter my adult life; I'm 46 now. I did some archery deer hunting in my late teens, and some small game and turkey and deer in my late teens through my mid 20's. I haven't hunted since. When I did hunt back then, I had experience hunting friends with me.

So with that, does anyone have any advice on how and where I should start with him? I'm thinking small game or Turkey? What would be a good firearm to purchase? Any and all advice would be very helpful. Thanks.

Vince
Old 09-18-2016, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

Welcome Vince! I started my son who is now 40,hunting squirrels with a single shot 20 gauge shotgun. Now my grandson is 9 used the same gun when he wanted to hunt,last year he killed a big doe with my crossbow. My thought is to start small and see how he likes it. Good luck...
Old 09-18-2016, 04:25 PM
Spike

Thanks Jack. I love the idea of his gun being passed down to my grandson some day! I agree with starting with squirrel hunts, its a great idea. I'm sure it will open up so many interests in the sport. Thank You!
Old 09-18-2016, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Once he gets a taste of squirrel hunting, at some point taking a hunter's safety course would be beneficial---it'll probably pique his interest even more and empower him to know what "the lay of the land" looks like across different types of hunting. Based on descriptions of what it's like to hunt different game animals, he might be able to choose what he wants to try next after squirrels.
There's of course no other way to learn well how to hunt a new type of game than by doing, but first you need the inspiration to go after it, at all.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

To hunt in PA (12 and over) you must take a hunter's safety course prior to purchasing your license. Children 11 and under can hunt certain game (small game included) if accompanied by a properly licensed adult hunter under PA's Mentored Youth Program. A Mentored Youth license is about $2.50 if I recall and can be purchased on line.
Even you, as an adult, must show evidence of having taken a Hunter's Safety Course.

Classes are still available this year. Just go to the PGC site and look under the "education" tab. You can both take the course together.

For a first shotgun I'd recommend a 20 gauge pump - Either Remington or Mossberg. You can always load one shell in it and use it as a single shot until you think he can handle the weapon safely.

Last edited by bronko22000; 09-19-2016 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:42 PM
Spike

All excellent replies, Thank you. Bronko, I took the safety class in 1986. Still got the orange card lol. My son is planning to take that the class next year when he turns 12. For now he'll get the Mentored license.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by VinceUher
All excellent replies, Thank you. Bronko, I took the safety class in 1986. Still got the orange card lol. My son is planning to take that the class next year when he turns 12. For now he'll get the Mentored license.
He can take the course now because he is 11. That is the youngest age allowed to take the course.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:28 PM
Spike

We had a great time our first time out!

Old 10-16-2016, 04:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Wow beautiful picture. Congratulations of planting the seed of the gift of hunting. I hope it grows so both of you enjoy the sport together.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:38 AM
Banned

nice! kudos for taking an interest in your child. sadly it is not terribly common anymore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.