Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Monongahela National Forest in WV, Other Public Land >

Monongahela National Forest in WV, Other Public Land

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Monongahela National Forest in WV, Other Public Land

Old 02-23-2016, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator

Default Monongahela National Forest in WV, Other Public Land

Looking for some public land for rifle season, just to fill some tags. Just want to do something different this year than my typical PA and OH hunts. Would probably camp while on the hunt and I see this area has a huge amount of land and lots of campgrounds. I have a ton of camping experience in all different climates so the weather is not an issue. Just wondering if anyone has hunted this area, what it's like and if anyone has any areas I should focus on. Will probably try to go there for a weekend this summer to camp and do some scouting. Not looking for big bucks or anything, just hope to fill a couple of tags. Any info or advice on WV public land is appreciated!
-Jake
Old 02-23-2016, 07:20 PM
Spike

Wild and wooly..... A lot of up and down....but being from PA I'm sure you have encountered some of that. Temps will be chilly due to elevation. Can always run into a big buck but probably the typical WV 11 point will be more normal. Have fun. Yes a summer scout trip would help.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

Would that west Virginia 11 point be a spike? I'm really ok with whatever as long as it's legal. Are the deer numbers decent there? I've read other forums where people talk about high WV deer numbers, would like to find an area with good numbers. Not necessarily good bucks.
-JaKe
Old 03-05-2016, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Hey, Hope you are doing well. The best thing to do IMO is to, as said come to WV and scout the areas you might like to hunt. I personally would suggest some of the Northern counties. I live in NE Central WV and my son and I always fill our freezer, and canning jars. Go thru the DNR, get a permit and good luck....There are many farmers that will thank you!
Old 03-07-2016, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator

I think WV is going to get some of my camping budget this summer. We usually head somewhere in PA, but a couple trips to WV for some scouting.. err family time I mean.... and I should be able to find some deer.
-Jake