Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 How are the acorns in your area,NY,PA? >

How are the acorns in your area,NY,PA?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

How are the acorns in your area,NY,PA?

Old 10-17-2003, 10:35 PM

Default How are the acorns in your area,NY,PA?

I live in upstate NY,on the border of PA.I hunt in Chemung and Tioga county' s in NY and Bradford county in PA.I have not seen many acorns at all.I don' t know if it' s the area' s I hunt or not but the oak tree' s sure have not produced where I' ve been hunting.
Old 10-18-2003, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How are the acorns in your area,NY,PA?

That' s what I' ve been hearing as well!! They go in cycles, some years the trees are loaded, other there not!!
Old 10-19-2003, 07:49 AM

Hunted Centre County opening week of archery. Not an acorn to be found anywhere. 4 guys in our group and we only spotted 5 deer out of stand the whole week. A far cry from the 250+ we saw 2 years ago. All the locals were saying it was a tough year down there.
Old 10-19-2003, 02:00 PM

[:@]None here in Lehigh County!!
Old 10-19-2003, 06:36 PM

Most of the acorns in Western Pa fell the first 2 weeks of the season.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:54 PM

I did a lot of walking around in the bush here in PA on saturday and I could fit all the acorns that I saw in a crackerjack box! I hunt in southern Lycoming and southeastern Clinton County. I hope we have a mild winter with little snow.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:15 PM

[X(]So, would you say that Gary Alts deer reduction program is a success?[>:]
Old 10-19-2003, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

i saw a bunch of acorns but , they were centralized as if someone made an illegal baiting station .
not much movement though , funny , in that wooded area right behind where i saw all of those deer , they weren' t anywhere around that place the opener morning [:-]
Old 10-19-2003, 10:25 PM
Fork Horn

Catskills/Ulster county I had tons of acorns, all green, everywhere you go, even got hit with a few about three weeks ago. At the other property near Port Jervis on the other hand, I saw just a few acorns, appears to be just a little less then normal. Will tell you next weekend when I go to map out my stands.

Anyone know how long it takes a fallen acorn to change from green to brown?
Old 10-20-2003, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

So, would you say that Gary Alts deer reduction program is a success?
Yes, HR is a success in process, but what does that have to do with acorns?

There are no acrons here in the big woods.....bad year I guess. The Beech in the ANF have been hit with some sort of blight and so far almost all the trees I' ve seen are dying....no nuts on them obviously. The hickory trees are dropping huge quantities of nuts, but deer can' t get into them. The cherry trees were dropping an abundance of fruit, but the drop is over and they' ve all been gobbled up by turkeys and deer. So far, the deer don' t seem to be very patternable....they seem to be meandering around surviving on the available browse -- I sure hope there is more food out there than I' ve found or it' s going to be a devastating winter.

Quick Reply: How are the acorns in your area,NY,PA?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.