Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Scent ban in Pa? >

Scent ban in Pa?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Scent ban in Pa?

Old 08-20-2015, 10:42 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Before you spout off any more it would be best if you read up on the subject because most of what you are stating is incorrect!
If you are talking to me I am asking questions that they can not provide answers. And I will continue to do so to show that they do not have any facts that scents cause CWD.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:48 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by olsaltydog
You seem to assume that all decisions that are made are based on biology or even statistical numbers. This one like many others was more than likely was based on a risk/reward analysis, and the risk for the states deer population outweighs the reward to continue to use deer scent lures.

As you claim others seem to fail to prove a correlation, you also fail to provide how any urine collecting companies have instituted safeguards to prevent the spread of CWD. These companies might have a leg to stand on if they have done something to prevent the spread but they have not and they do not plan to. Without that, the states resources department will have to do the best they can within their means and capabilities. Urine scents are not needed, have never been needed and to act as if this is a affront to your hunting rights is simply a huge overreaction.
Most companies test deer at least yearly but as others have said there is NO TEST to show CWD.
In your opinion they are not needed which is a false premise for this discussion, If they were not used then the business would not be such a huge sales maker. Notice the ban is on use not sale, not buying, or not possession. Why not just ban them all together?

No where did I say it was an affront to mine or anyone else's hunting rights. Those are your words not mine. What I am saying is that the ban without proof of cause and effect is wrong and also it does not prevent anything as it is unenforceable and many will still sue them.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by vapahunter
If you are talking to me I am asking questions that they can not provide answers. And I will continue to do so to show that they do not have any facts that scents cause CWD.
No, what it will show is your ignorance of what has already been thoroughly studied scientifically and that you either don't agree with because you have an agenda or are not smart enough to comprehend what all the data is showing. The main fact is that once a CWD affected animal has contact with other animals through ANY body fluid whether it's direct or through the ground the disease is spread. Another fact is that science has not found any way to 100% effectively kill the prions that cause the disease and they've been working on it since it was first found in that captive CO herd decades ago. Too bad you're such a doubting Thomas and would apparently rather stick your head in the sand than be proactive and try to keep the disease under control if that is even possible.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 08-20-2015 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-20-2015, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

You seem to be the one not able to provide ANY conclusive evidence to your own point. It HAS been shown that CWD is transmitted through bodily fluids INCLUDING urine. Now, instead of trying to provoke an emotional response from layman hunters who may or may not be apprised of the subject matter at hand, how about you try to prove your own point through the use of empirical evidence. Oh wait, you can't because you are 100% incorrect in your assumptions that there is no way that CWD can't be transmitted through the use of bottled scents! Pa is trying their best to keep CWD away from their wild whitetail herds and this is just one, be it a small one, way to help in the combat of this horrible disease.

Like oldsalty stated, these bottled scents aren't really a needed product for deer hunting. Never has been. 99% of them are just gimmic stuff anyway that attract nothing but inexperienced hunters wallets!
Old 08-21-2015, 05:33 AM
Fork Horn

I'm not an expert on cwd.All I know is what I've read.In any event,there's a pile of people who raise deer and sell the urine.Many don't bottle it and sell it in stores but they still sell it.Deer farming is a very under regulated industry in Pa without adequate oversight.It would be extremely easy for a guy to be selling infected deer urine before anyone knew about it.I don't use scents and quite honestly,I'm not a big fan of deer farming so I could care less if they ban it.Again,it doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:56 AM
Typical Buck

I never said I had any evidence either way. I am asking question to have someone show where the cause and effect is of Deer scents causing CWD. SO far all I get is demeaning and degrading comments about me and not ONE study or survey to show that deer scents cause CWD or even contain the prions. So keep on calling me names BUT the truth is you have no proof at all just inuendo and supposition. And with that you feel you are the experts. Again I ask where is the proof of your so called facts that deer scents aid in the spread of CWD. You have none so far.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I never said I had any evidence either way. I am asking question to have someone show where the cause and effect is of Deer scents causing CWD. SO far all I get is demeaning and degrading comments about me and not ONE study or survey to show that deer scents cause CWD or even contain the prions. So keep on calling me names BUT the truth is you have no proof at all just inuendo and supposition. And with that you feel you are the experts. Again I ask where is the proof of your so called facts that deer scents aid in the spread of CWD. You have none so far.
You know I got more out of talking to my now deceased dog than trying to discuss with you what is out there regarding CWD. The disease has been studied for decades since it was found in the CAPTIVE herd out in Colorado. The prions can live forever and there is basically no known way to eliminate them, especially from the soil where infected deer have urinated and defecated, both of which the prions have been found in. If the prions are in urine and that is being used to make any type of scent that is then taken out into an area and dispersed to attract animals, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to understand that just maybe if that avenue is eliminated it is one more way to lessen the spread of the disease. Being proactive, especially in anything involving CWD, is certainly more effective than your way of "my way or the highway" type of philosophy!
Old 08-22-2015, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

vapahunter, you are starting to remind me of my kids when they were 2 years old and throwing a little temper tantrum with no amount of reasoning settling them down. You have been told in no uncertain terms that the prions that cause CWD has been found in bodily fluids including the urine of infected animals. Now, being as the most common occurrences of CWD are in captive whitetail deer and elk, how does this not compute for you? A) CWD is commonly found in captive animals. B) Scent lures (doe and buck urine) are collected from captive animals. C) CWD is KNOWN to be transmitted through bodily fluids such as urine. D) Until an animal starts to show the symptoms of CWD it cannot be detected at this point and time without the killing of the animal.

Now, it has been spelled out for you as simply as I and others can possibly spell it. If you don;t get the problem by now, you never will.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the urine ban if there is even a slight chance that urine can spread CWD. BUT! If the PGC is worried about the spread of CWD from the transfer of body fluids . Why did they approve the use of baiting Deer in WMA 5C and 5D? Would that not be a way for Deer to share unwanted body fluids? Something that I posted last year on this site that started a real rangeWAR. The many GREY AREA LAWS that the Harrisburg HACKS think up?????????? Think about it??????????

HJ
Old 08-22-2015, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

To be a deer farmer you are certainly misinformed WildOutdoorWhtl. So far there has been no way that's been found to kill prions, so, with that being said, mind telling me how "sterile" even factors into the discussion? It's a protein. There are proteins in urine. And no, urine isn't "sterile" anyway. All kinds of bacteria can be in it even BEFORE leaving the body. If it was sterile, or had sterilizing properties, you think there would be any bladder infections? UT infections? Your just another deer farmer trying to shush the truth. Not a very smart one either judging from the nonsense you just spouted off. Has it wiped out the herd yet? Of course not, it isn't a fast acting disease for one, for two it isn't wide spread YET which is why the PGC is doing all they can possibly think of to contain the spread.

Oh hell, you are one of them canned hunt operators. You certainly wont get a warm and fuzzy welcome around here. LMAO@ calling your operation "wild outdoors"! Aint nothing wild about those poor whitetail you have idiots coming to shoot. You have already shown your extreme lack of knowledge about a disease you should be extremely familiar with since it's morons like yourself that has let this disease loose in the wild!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.