Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Conflicting info >

Conflicting info

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Conflicting info

Old 07-25-2015, 05:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Conflicting info

I was reading the PA hunting regulations regarding changes in the mentored youth program. I read and understood that a mentor can only transfer his anterless tag to a mentored youth below 7 years of age. I called the PGC and questioned this and the WCO told me that you can transfer your tag to any youth under 12!
This concerns me because I have two grandchildren that I take hunting and don't want to violate any laws. The way I see it, if I have an anterless tag I can easily harvest an animal if I see it. So why not let the child have a chance?
Old 07-25-2015, 07:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bronko, you misread the rules. What they say is no big game tags will be issued to a child under 7yo. A mentor can still transfer his tag to a mentored youth hunter. The change is that now a mentored youth age 7 and older will be issued an antlered deer tag and a spring turkey tag when they purchase the mentored youth permit. Youth under 7 must use a tag transfered by the mentor after the kid make the kill. Read over it again, it is easy to miss, thry could have done a better job by bolding the change and having it seperate from the rest of the info.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Great thanks. I have a tendency to read too fast and just scan the print without soaking in all the information. that makes more sense now.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Have fun with the younguns.